Is adding Dextrose to a fresh wort kit such a bad thing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
I've recently started brewing all grain fresh wort kits. The ABV is usually too low for my tastes, around 4.5. I like my beers around the 5.5 - 6.00 mark so I took to adding a around 500g of dextrose to the mix.

Thing is the manager at my LHBS is onto it and doesn't advise the practice. Instead, he advises to reduce the water used and make 18L rather than 23. This is all well and good but I only have a small brewing fridge. If is start making 18L brews consumption will outstrip production. Not good. Not good at all.

So, what's so wrong about adding dext to the mix?

why not add a bit of dry malt instead?

what styles you brewing?

Depends on why you want the higher alc%. If you just want to get pissed quicker add dex, if you want more body/flavour add malt extract ( dry or liquid ).

yeah i dont see why not personally... dex/brown sugar/dark malt would work for a stout.. 90% of the time id go for some dried malt though..

The dex will result in a thinner/drier beer relative to if you had used 500g of malt. Not exactly a stout characteristic. I use dex when I *want* to thin out some rather syrupy extract.

Try with the malt and see what you think vs the dex.

indica86 said:
If you like driniking then do it.
Best advice.

If YOU are happy with the outcome, continue.
If YOU think it gets a bit thin and lacks a malt kick, swap to malt.

Also the answer may be different depending on the beer,
eg
for a Stout I like them malty, so more malt.
for a wheat I prefer it thin, so dextrose. or even a mix 50%/50% dex/malt

Just remember on some styles such as an APA, add the malt but then you will need to add hops to balance it.

QldKev said:
Best advice.

If YOU are happy with the outcome, continue.
If YOU think it gets a bit thin and lacks a malt kick, swap to malt.

Also the answer may be different depending on the beer,
eg
for a Stout I like them malty, so more malt.
for a wheat I prefer it thin, so dextrose. or even a mix 50%/50% dex/malt

Just remember on some styles such as an APA, add the malt but then you will need to add hops to balance it.
I have the same taste as you, malty stout with good body and wheat beer thinner bodied so this is the way I'll approach brewing these styles in the future . Thanks to all for your advice.

take the leap into all grain brewing and you can make whatever size and strength batch you like, FWK are handy, but you are missing out on the fun part.. "recipe design".

Rob.P said:
take the leap into all grain brewing and you can make whatever size and strength batch you like, FWK are handy, but you are missing out on the fun part.. "recipe design".
One day when I have more time I will and when I do I reckon it'll be brew in a bag and into a cube :)

Latest posts

Back