Irish Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
A mate at mine at work asked for what he should do with a can or coopers irish stout and a can or dark malt. Any good easy recipes he could do?

I've got an irish stout down at the moment which used the following recipie
can of irish stout (mine was the brecraft)
1 kg dry dark malt extract
200 gms of cracked crystal grain steeped
100 gms lactose and
20 gms fuggles

Steep the crystal grain in 5 litres of hot (not boiling) water for 30 mins
drain and rinse the grain with more hot water. This gave me approx 7 litres of water which I boiled for an hour and added the fuggles hops for the last 5 mins ( I don't want any more bittering, the kit will give the bittering)
add the malt extract and the lactose and stir until dissolved
transfer this to your fermenter and add the kit extract
top with water to 23 litres and ferment at 20degrees

The opening gravity of this was over 1040 so I don't have an accurate opening gravity, but it is dropping nicely towards 1016 at the moment.

Hoping this will be finished this weekend so I can get it into bottles

I've got an irish stout down at the moment which used the following recipie
can of irish stout (mine was the brecraft)
1 kg dry dark malt extract
200 gms of cracked crystal grain steeped
100 gms lactose and
20 gms fuggles

Steep the crystal grain in 5 litres of hot (not boiling) water for 30 mins
drain and rinse the grain with more hot water. This gave me approx 7 litres of water which I boiled for an hour and added the fuggles hops for the last 5 mins ( I don't want any more bittering, the kit will give the bittering)
add the malt extract and the lactose and stir until dissolved
transfer this to your fermenter and add the kit extract
top with water to 23 litres and ferment at 20degrees

The opening gravity of this was over 1040 so I don't have an accurate opening gravity, but it is dropping nicely towards 1016 at the moment.

Hoping this will be finished this weekend so I can get it into bottles

i dont get it. y are you boiling for 1 hour when you only have a 5min hop addition. normally with my steeped grain sludge i just give it a quick boil to kill nasties. unless ive got some long hop additions

If he wants to keep it simple, I've done a toucan with 1 tin stout, 1 tin dark ale and 500g dark brown sugar. It needs some time to settle down in the bottle but was quite nice for an easy recipe. Maybe as the dark malt extract is not pre bittered you could boil some hops in some of the malt extract to up the IBUs. You'll probably need the IBUs to balance the residual sweetness from the dark brown sugar.

Back