IPA Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosysBrews

Reaction score
Wanted some advice on this, brewing an extract IPA with US-05 atm. I have my ferm chamber set on 19C as a small experiment, normally I use this yeast at 18 but wanted to see if there was a differance, after a bit of reading about diactyl rest I wanted to checek with people on here shold I raise the temp to say 22 at about day 10 for a few days or just stop getting excited about my abilitiy to temp control and leave where it is?

Thanks in advnace for your feedbak.

I'd raise it at like day 4, you've missed the boat. You want to catch it while there is still a bit of fermentation to go.

dent said:
I'd raise it at like day 4, you've missed the boat. You want to catch it while there is still a bit of fermentation to go.
Thanks mate, it's only day 2 so I will raise on day 4, raise to 22?

Sounds good - if you want to be systematic about it, check with your hydrometer and raise the temp when your ferment is about 3/4 done.

You can leave it at 19 C and the yeast will process the diacetyl and precursors almost as quickly as if you raised it. You just don't want to chill it before it's done. It's common to raise the temp. for a diacetyl rest when fermenting lagers because the yeast will process the diacetyl and precursors faster at, say, 18 C than it will at 10 C. Raising an ale yeast from 19 to 22 C probably isn't going to speed it up a great deal as the yeast is already pretty active at 19 C.

That said, there's no harm in raising it once most of the fermentation is done.

I didn't think ale yeasts done > 18c left any diacetyl. D-rests are *usually* needed for low temp fermentations aren't they?

slcmorro said:
I didn't think ale yeasts done > 18c left any diacetyl. D-rests are *usually* needed for low temp fermentations aren't they?
Pretty right. They will produce diacetyl at any temp. It's just that when they're healthy and active they process it during fermentation and by the time you hit FG there shouldn't be much left. But there can be diacetyl left if you hit FG and crash chill it straight away and don't give it a chance to clean it all up.

verysupple said:
Pretty right. They will produce diacetyl at any temp. It's just that when they're healthy and active they process it during fermentation and by the time you hit FG there shouldn't be much left. But there can be diacetyl left if you hit FG and crash chill it straight away and don't give it a chance to clean it all up.
Interesting I normally just leave at 18, for the sake or experiment might up to 22 for a few days around day 4-5 to see if there is any differance

i wouldn't bother. 18-22C is negligible in my experience. lagers, yes. ales, rarely unless using an english yeast that likes to stop short of full attenuation.

depending on your mash schedule, us-05 should usually finish pretty clean at about 1.010 or lower from about a 65C mash temp whether at 18 or 22C. you can do it, but it's not much of a great benefit (in my opinion i might add; others may disagree).

EDIT: derp. sorry! pays to read. with extracts, i'm sure it'll finish about 1.010 regularly unless you use a shitload of spec/crystal malts.

Back