Ipa, apa, mash temp for marris otter pale ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Most often the rest is 10 for that very reason. Been a bit curious myself.
Also been considering trying much shorter alpha since alpha works much quicker.
While 20 is rare for me, I can tell you unscientifically that 10-15 + alpha is a different (richer/fuller) mouthfeel to 60 at a single temp. Attenuation is similar though.
Might try a couple for curiousity sake when I get some time off. Starch test and comparative brews with longer and shorter alpha.
Yeah, I dare say a lot of alpha activity will be occurring at your beta rest and probably only needs a short 5min rest around 70 to finish off what starch hasn't already converted.

Interesting and I might give it a whirl but you're suggesting a potential 15 min total mash. I'm not convinced.

If conditions are right 20min saccharification time should be all you need.

Big if in my brewery (conditions being right).
Shortest for me is 30 min alpa rest in my milds (70 deg).
Interested in mucking about to get some real world results though.

jonnir said:
For people who do these step mashes. Could you tell me, have you noticed a signifcant difference in your beers since changing from single infusion to step? Would be good to know

Cheers
Short answer: Yes

I've made a few changes over the last year, including a focus on step mashing, so it's a little hard to claim that all my improvements would be from step mashing alone. However, i believe the main things i get from step mashing would be
1) finer lacing and better & tighter head retention,
2) a finer/better body (eg: dry, but full body)

Fwiw, i've been using the 55°C, 72°C and 78°C steps, plus the main conversion step(s) between 62-68°C.

I'm a step mash convert myself. I do longer rests in the low 60's, as I like drier beers. I've done 90min mashes at low 60's for mega swill lagers and saisons. Mostly for very low finishing gravity and very light body.

It gives you control over body and attenuation.

technobabble66 said:
Short answer: Yes

I've made a few changes over the last year, including a focus on step mashing, so it's a little hard to claim that all my improvements would be from step mashing alone. However, i believe the main things i get from step mashing would be
1) finer lacing and better & tighter head retention,
2) a finer/better body (eg: dry, but full body)

Fwiw, i've been using the 55°C, 72°C and 78°C steps, plus the main conversion step(s) between 62-68°C.
Ditto (same mash profile, usually, and same results)

I've also found that an extended mash out improves efficiency, usually by 3 to 5 points, sometimes more

Latest posts

Back