Iodophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sah

Reaction score
I would like to organise a bulk buy for iodophor in the new year if others are interested?

Does anyone know of a supplier of iodophor that hasn't had other things added to keep cows tits supple?

regards
Scott

im interested, my brewshield will run out soon

I got my 1litre bottle from ESB for about $20, can't remember exactly, it's a start anyway..

From another post I've made (not sure if you have searched the forum but there are a coulple of useful threads).

The stuff I have used is called Alpha Larval Agri LF-12, and here is a snippit of a post I made ages ago about it:

"To save on iodophor usage I only use 1-2L of sanitiser to sanitise my fermenter on brew day. If your fermenter is clean then it shouldn't be hard to sanitise. I put 1-2L of water plus 1-2mls of iodophor then routinely shake the hell out of my fermenter every 5 mins or so to splash the solution around. This has been my standard procedure for the last probably 10-15 brews and it's never caused me any trouble with infection. It makes the iodophor solution go a long, long way.

If you want to do a bulk buy of the solution you can buy it in a 25L cube for about $125 (=$5/L) and is sold under the name of Alfa Laval Agri LF12 Milking Machine Sanitiser. The Active constituents are: 12gm/L available Iodine, 252 gm/lL phosphoric acid. It's a low foaming acid dairy sanitiser. Probably more easily accessed in a rural setting but you should be able to find a distributor in the city somewhere."

That might give you a starting point as to what to look/ask for. As for where you would buy it in Perth, well your guess is as good as mine. Best of luck. It is a great sanitizer.

cheers, Justin

I can get a 25L cube of Alfa Laval Agri LF12 to the Sunshine Coast for $140 [that's $5.60L] it will arrive in 5 weeks time if any of you SE Qld's want any. Getting a courier to transport it was the hard part, dangerous goods being acid based.
You will have to turn up at my door if you want any with money,enough beer to convince me and a container to take it home in, I use large glass jars to store it myself.

Edit typos

Hi all brewers in Se Qld, I have a 20L drum of IODOPHOR , anyone want some? ;)

Hey bindi I wouldnt mind grabing 2L, do you have a container to bring some down in? and whats the recommended usage rate?

Cheers
Jye

Edit: found it 1ml per litre.

Hey bindi I wouldnt mind grabing 2L, do you have a container to bring some down in? and whats the recommended usage rate?

Cheers
Jye

Edit: found it 1ml per litre.

IF I can make it I will bring down 2L, and yes 1ml per litre and I store it in well marked glass up high in the shed away from "rug rats", I have grand kids old enough to know but friends kids [read brats] I don't know. :unsure:

IF I can make it I will bring down 2L, and yes 1ml per litre and I store it in well marked glass up high in the shed away from "rug rats", I have grand kids old enough to know but friends kids [read brats] I don't know. :unsure:
If possible, could I also score 2L. I will be at Ross' tomorrow arvo too.

Sold 12L of the 20L already :p in the first 24 hrs, If any of you SE Qldr's want any BE QUICK.

How much per Litre are you selling this for Bindi??

microbe

How much per Litre are you selling this for Bindi??

microbe

Only just found this post :( $6 a Litre......Bloody cheap :) you will need to supply [or buy] an acid proof container, large glass jars is what most people have used for storage.

Bargain! i bought a litre for like $25 more for postage too...
Man 2 litres will last a looong time!

Thanks Bindi got my 2L. A tip for storage, those who have a pool, rinse out an empty plastic 4L acid bottle. No home pool, then pool shops have them lying around.

Is it really OK to store it in a clear glass container? It certainly breaks down pretty fast in the open. Our bulk source supplier in the west provides purpose designed black plastic bottles to decant the bulk container to.

Is it really OK to store it in a clear glass container? It certainly breaks down pretty fast in the open. Our bulk source supplier in the west provides purpose designed black plastic bottles to decant the bulk container to.

It's stored in the dark or dark containers here, but I really don't know <_< .

Only just found this post :( $6 a Litre......Bloody cheap :) you will need to supply [or buy] an acid proof container, large glass jars is what most people have used for storage.

my fault - :( - I should've sent a PM instead ....

just got to try to get up to the sunny coast :huh: before you run out

my fault - :( - I should've sent a PM instead ....

just got to try to get up to the sunny coast :huh: before you run out
Don't fret, I will hold atleast 1L for you.
Bring beer. :p And cash.

Edit: that's plenty of beer or cash [well a little cash].

Back