Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi all just wodering if I have an infection? I was dry hopping for 4 days and just popped the top to put in the next lot of hops and
can see what looks like an oil slick on top, but figure this is from the oils in the hops? What worries me are the suss white bubbles
on the top. Is this an infection or nothing to worry about?

photo.JPG

How did you go with your similar one?

went well... drained into the gutter nicely... advice was though that I should have probably botteled it leaving a few litres on top..

I couldnt be arsed though stuffing about with something suspect. I just cleaned the shit out of the fermenter and put another one in.

Yob

Mmm, same panic here. I've dry hopped my last two batches, and despite the bag being weighed down, there has been odd things going on at the surface. The first of the batches is going down fine, and I've only just bottled the second, so time will tell - however, I have been scouring the internet for related info and found a US based thread which posited that the film/bubbles are hop resin and/or oils which have formed an emulsion with the beer due to residual CO2 agitation... interesting? I'm only concerned for the 2nd batch, as I was planning to re-use the yeast cake (cultured from White Rabbit) but obviously won't be if it has indeed been contaminated. Long story short - let your tastebuds decide.

Hi all just wodering if I have an infection? I was dry hopping for 4 days and just popped the top to put in the next lot of hops and
can see what looks like an oil slick on top, but figure this is from the oils in the hops? What worries me are the suss white bubbles
on the top. Is this an infection or nothing to worry about?
tasted it? You'd know pretty quickly if it was an infection. I'd say hop oils, though.

tasted it? You'd know pretty quickly if it was an infection. I'd say hop oils, though.
agree with siborg. looks ok to me. taste it. if your really worry, just a leave a few litres so you dont draw anything off the top.

Latest posts

Back