Infection / Solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnheiderich

Reaction score
Ok my first and I hope last infection. Started in the fermenter, I am sure. I cubed an AG Golden Ale few two days with no signs of infection, pitched a healthy yeast and after a few days the Krousen (spelling?) had turned a dirty brown and there was a vineger smell and the taste was like rotten veggies (my best description).

Solution

Tipped it on the lawn, washed fementer, left in sun for a few days. Brought some unesented bleach and added 1L to 5 L of water filled the fermenter with all associated equipment a let soak for 24 h. My next step will be to rinse with cold water until no more smell. Leave in the sun for a few days then sanitise as per normal.. Brew craft no rinse..

I will of course pay extra attention to the taps and threads.

Any further suggestions, what have you done in the past to eliminate your infections?

Thanks

Shawn :icon_cheers:

Ok my first and I hope last infection. Started in the fermenter, I am sure. I cubed an AG Golden Ale few two days with no signs of infection, pitched a healthy yeast and after a few days the Krousen (spelling?) had turned a dirty brown and there was a vineger smell and the taste was like rotten veggies (my best description).

Solution

Tipped it on the lawn, washed fementer, left in sun for a few days. Brought some unesented bleach and added 1L to 5 L of water filled the fermenter with all associated equipment a let soak for 24 h. My next step will be to rinse with cold water until no more smell. Leave in the sun for a few days then sanitise as per normal.. Brew craft no rinse..

I will of course pay extra attention to the taps and threads.

Any further suggestions, what have you done in the past to eliminate your infections?

Thanks

Shawn :icon_cheers:

Anything alive after that would survive a neuclear holocaust :lol:

Be sure you use Star San No Rinse

Happy New Year

Screwy

Star san, I will have a bit of a look around for what it is. I have used the "Brewcraft" no rinse for the last three or so years with no problems. I have see Star san referred to a fair bit. I wonder what the difference is in the two products? I will go and do some further research it might be worthwhile changing my sanitiser to avoid resistant bugs.

Thanks

Shawn

Have always read to rinse anything that has been soaked in bleach with boiling water several times, NOT cold water.
Cheers n hope you get it sorted
Steve

Thanks Steve, final rinse was with boiling water. It is my understanding though that chlorine breaks down with UV light so by the time I gave the final rinse there was no bleach smell at all.

I have a pic of the last (I hope) chapter of this infection (different beer same yeast). Sorry Matt the Yak is dead :( .

My solution was tip on lawn, rinse / scrub with chux, fill 1/3 with keg & line cleaner / sanitiser (Brewcraft) leave for 12 h (6 h on each end) run through popets and PRV rinse, and then sanitise as per normal. Thoughts?

Thanks Shawn :)

Chrissy_time_041.JPG

it won't hurt to split up your sanitation routine, get some betadine from the chemist and dilute 10 ml to the litre, starsan and bleach etc, mix it up a bit and keep the germs on their toes

btw, i think the no rinse dilution rate for betadine/iodophor is 10ml to the litre but best to make sure, i've been wrong before, the maltese falcons brew club had a good write up on it.

cheers

Dave

the dilution rate for iodophor is 1mL/L. no idea for betadine though.

Rob.

Fair enough. See the pic below for what I was told though.

I've had that bottle for more than two years, and it's the main sanitiser that i use. At this rate that bottle will live longer than me. And I'm under 30 :)

IMG_4196.jpg

I seem to have infections in two of my brews at the moment. There is something a bit like a bread taste and a cloudy particulate in the samples. One of them tasted horrendous yesterday but has improved slightly today (have made beautiful beers which tasted horrendous during ferment before).

The only all brew infection I've had in my brewing time was with a SMASH pilsner I made for a case swap (case swappers got something much nicer BTW). It's not repugnant - just weird and seems to be the same bready, cloudy thing. I've still got the pilsner sitting in bottles so I can see/taste what happens each month. When I took it to the case swap for diagnostic, people were vague in identification and could only suggest wild yeast.

While it's disheartening to get two simultaneously brewed batches get wild yeast infections, I'm wondering whether they might be salvageable (yes I'm interested in wild fermentations, sour beers, lambics etc) so I'll probably ferment right out, see how they taste and bottle at least a few (or age with some kind of flavour like fruit or oak).

Massive chlorine treatment, boiling water, sodium percarb then saniclean coming right up for all post boil equipment though. I was looking forward to a new batch of dubbel and an English Brown instead of a couple of 'experimental could be disgusting and an utter waste of time beers'

Fair enough. See the pic below for what I was told though.

I've had that bottle for more than two years, and it's the main sanitiser that i use. At this rate that bottle will live longer than me. And I'm under 30 :)

Yup, go thru one of them bottles every couple of years. Beyond 1mL/L it gets questionable as a "no-rinse" sanitiser.

Btw: EOS 20D... noice B)

Btw: EOS 20D... noice B)

:icon_offtopic:

Love the camera. Could be a little quieter though.

I just need some better lenses, but don't want to spend the cash. Can't complain with what I've got though, and if I take a photo that is a bit out of focus I can just blame the lens :)

(Though in all fairness, the main lens I use does misfocus occasionally. The 100mm/f2.8 I've got is awesome though. I'd love to have the disposable income to get an 'L' main lens at some time. Just got a new job, so might get myself a 50mm/f1.4 as a present :D )

The funny thing is if I shoot a photo that I think is a bit crap, it is still better than a GOOD picture from the average P&S camera. It's just a pity that a DSLR can't fit in your pocket.

Rob.

it won't hurt to split up your sanitation routine, get some betadine from the chemist and dilute 10 ml to the litre, starsan and bleach etc, mix it up a bit and keep the germs on their toes

btw, i think the no rinse dilution rate for betadine/iodophor is 10ml to the litre but best to make sure, i've been wrong before, the maltose falcons brew club had a good write up on it.

cheers

Dave

apologies, it's 1.25ml to 1lt for betadine if using it for no rinse.

Dave

Back