Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold Break was my assumption too..

it was some wort Id frozen to use as a starter, that photo was when it had just thawed.. it continued to "morph" over a few hours and was fun to watch.

B)

Went to pitch a cube last night and thought to check the tap before transfer.. which of course I always do :unsure:

Tap_Infection.JPG

naturally pitched it from the top not through that manky tap..

:icon_cheers:

So I'm doing an apple and mango cider for the missus, never done one with mango before but the juice wason special. About half apple and mango juice adn half apple juice (Berri 2.4l, about a week past best before date :huh: ).

US-05 yeast pitched and did the usual thing forming a krausen breifly then just bubbling away...then this formed on top about a week in...

IMG_20121106_064342.jpg

Never seen it before. Had a taste and its still a little sweet, SG 1020, but tastes like I'd expect. I'm not sure if the mango has done something funny or its infected. Never seen anything like it though.

So I'm doing an apple and mango cider for the missus, never done one with mango before but the juice wason special. About half apple and mango juice adn half apple juice (Berri 2.4l, about a week past best before date :huh: ).

US-05 yeast pitched and did the usual thing forming a krausen breifly then just bubbling away...then this formed on top about a week in...

View attachment 58282

Never seen it before. Had a taste and its still a little sweet, SG 1020, but tastes like I'd expect. I'm not sure if the mango has done something funny or its infected. Never seen anything like it though.

looks like mango pulp to me....hpefully its all good.

Here's my first attemp at a Berliner Weisse...needless to say it didnt work....

img0100resized.jpg

Here's my first attemp at a Berliner Weisse...needless to say it didnt work....

img0100resized.jpg

...and that is why it's a good idea to either Chill and transfer, or transfer and no chill.

bugger.

Hahaha i lost heat on my electric blanket and didn't get an airtight seal, i'll definitely try to have another go, after listening to Jamil talk about his argon blanket at ANHC, i may even try trickling an argon blanket over it.

but first up i will run it into a bucket and seal it up nice and tight, keeping it up around 37*C for a couple of days and see how it turns out.

cheers

well.. I think this was my 41st AG/cube.. went into the shed this arvo and found

cube.JPG

well swollen cube and far too much 'head' space at the top.. my cubes are generally bull to the brim with most/all air removed.

again a problem with a tap

Tap.JPG

we have had builders/electricians/roofers all over the joint so possibly contributed..

I know this, it's no tap on cubes and/or a chiller on my horizon.

Tap on cubes is fine.

What did she smell like?

Swollen cubes in my experience (invariably* from not sealing properly) smell pretty rank.

*Actually can't think of a single one that sealed properly but still swelled).

Still - clean your taps boss. Every time. Break and clean, sanitise, reassemble. I do that even just for bulk priming vessels.

I may be completely freakin' paranoid but I've been putting a bit of no-rinse sanitiser made with distilled water in the bottom of a small plastic bag and putting it over the tap (I'll leave the joke just dangling there for someone to pick up :p ) and then closing it off with rubber bands so that I'm pretty sure when I use the tap nothing has taken up residence. And as Manticle suggests cleaning the taps every time.

Latest posts

Back