Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my first infection today. smells like cream corn through everything. the house yeast is dead.

IMG_0403__Medium_.JPG

my guess is aceto. its only in the very early stages.

beer is a dunkelweizen and at racking it tasted and smelt like a dunkelweizen. some nice esthers coming from the harvested schneider weizen yeast.

racked to secondary 5 days ago. now has a strong paint thinners nose maybe a bit moldy fruit. taste is gone and hints of sourness. hard to make out in the photo but on the skin theres little mold spores forming.

View attachment 52458

my guess is aceto. its only in the very early stages.

beer is a dunkelweizen and at racking it tasted and smelt like a dunkelweizen. some nice esthers coming from the harvested schneider weizen yeast.

racked to secondary 5 days ago. now has a strong paint thinners nose maybe a bit moldy fruit. taste is gone and hints of sourness. hard to make out in the photo but on the skin theres little mold spores forming.

aceto is what it is..... one of the dangers of racking to secondary..... unless you really have a good reason to, stop racking!!!

cheers Ross

aceto is what it is..... one of the dangers of racking to secondary..... unless you really have a good reason to, stop racking!!!

cheers Ross

cheers for confirming.
yeh i know theres risks with racking. i just needed some fermenter space. so racked to bottling bucket and left till i found time to bottle.
next time i guess i should just bottle straight away and stop being lazy . It just cost me a nice dunkel and my bottling bucket.

OK it may be that I am just worrying about nothing but my current brew using US05 yeasts krausen seems different to my previous brews. The krausen looks normal apart from the right back which looks rather gooey/thick compared to the rest being really bubbly and light looking like foam. Also when the fermenter was moved white clumps fell to the bottom from the krausen, probably yeast but never seen this before.

the last photo isnt very clear you can't tell with the krausen. on the top photo you should be able to make out the white clumps about to fall.

looks normal to me mate.

I thought it might be but I have never seen the krausen become so gooey looking. Just worrying as it's my first brew introducing hops and I put a lot of time into trying to get it all right, and i don't want it going bad :icon_cheers:

US05 does this for me sometimes too. It will just sit on top in a thick layer until I keg.

Ok so I am out of town and my mate rang to get info on the dry hopping required for the two all grain brews we had going. He rang back and said that one was infected then sent these pictures through.

IMG_20120321_202540.jpg
IMG_20120321_210515.jpg
IMG_20120321_210548.jpg
IMG_20120321_202505.jpg

I am thinking he is being paranoid as it doesn't look anything like things in this thread. Sure there is some weirdness going on but thats just normal isn't it?

I have told him not to tip it until I can see it and taste it in person.

Whats the opinion here?

Oh and in the interests of disclosure it has been in fermenter for about 25 days at 21 degrees. I have been told the airlock did dry up. Rookie error I know but I still think this doesn't look infected.

He reckons it doesnt smell off too which I think is a good indicator too.

If its not infected then please explain the weirdness on the top of the beer. I am thinking its just old krausen that never popped???

Edit: it should be noted this is an allgrain batch and we generally dont bother trying to get the hops out of the pot as we pour into fermenter so that I assume is what is all up the top above the beer as it would have floated to the top during high krausen and stuck there??? or it has evaporated somewhat due to airlock drying out?

Your right about tasting it first. I think I remember having one look like this. Never really look yuck or anything in mine and beer was fine. I may be wrong of course but maybe a more seasoned brewer may enlighten us lol

Cheers Chris

Well i have my first infection!
Just went to bottle my stout that has been in fermenter for 2 weeks.
I am pretty sure i have bought this on myself and that it is aceto.

I have had a persistent fungi infection on my toes where i got bitten by a spider 6 months ago.
All prescribed meds exhausted for no relief i turns to the internet and seems that many people have great success
with apple cider vinger, unfiltered and non pasteurized variety that contains mother.

Great we have 20L drum in the shed used for horses. I was hesistent to bring it into the house where my brewing takes place.
So somwhere somehow at some stage it has made its way into my wort/beer or yeast.

The beer tastes and smells like vinegar big time :icon_vomit: gravity is 4 or 5 points too low.

Quite disappointing, time to nuke the shit out of everything and take the vinegar back to the shed.

On the other hand the fungi on my toes is just about gone.

infection.jpg

Dont think it's infection but also probably didnt want to start a thread just for this... its weird enough to be here

Capture.JPG

chunkalitious... WTF is going on with that? Bottled the AIPA off this last night... is it just break thats made it through maybe? Ive not seen anything like it before, usually its just flat compact cake after CC

:blink:

Looks exactly like the bottom of the Rye IPA I bottled last night...

Mine was having little volcanic eruptions too which was kinda cool...

Geeeze, when you look at some of the pics. of infections in this thread, it`s no wonder when you offer some blokes a home brew they say "no, I`m good thanks, but you have one yourself". :lol:
{I actually thought I had an infected brew last month, after 23 days primary it had a very thin cobweb type thing over the top of it, never seen the like before. It smelt and tasted ok so I bottled it, tried one 14 days later and it was fine. So don`t be to hasty chucking beer out}

Ok so I am out of town and my mate rang to get info on the dry hopping required for the two all grain brews we had going. He rang back and said that one was infected then sent these pictures through.

An update on my post last week. Beer tasted weird.. not disgusting but just weird. We bottled 3 and tipped the rest. Will taste the 3 later on to ensure we didn't make a mistake.

Can anyone tell me what the werd oily and waxy stuff was on the top?

I have seen it in other photos here and in other beers we have made in the past.

My second infection and it feels like I've lost a child. I even had a few moments of silence (or wordless seconds while I figured out what to do).

Here is the picture:

photo.jpg

NOTE Originally the film was covering the entire surface of the beer. there were a fe perfect circles of something growing that got disturbed when I panicked and lifted the fermenter out of the chest freezer

And what I think happened (any advice or tips would be appreciated :)

- So it's only my second infection, both of which have happened while using clingwrap instead of the lid (Searched the forums and read up on it first - seems people don't usually have a problem). Method? Wipe around the fermenter with sanitiser. Remove a few layers of clingwrap before I find a sheet to use. Lay sheet over fermenter lid and hold in place with the O-ring from the fermenter lid.
- This happened only last night, approximately three weeks in to the brew.
- Nearly a week in primary, then racking to secondary where it has been for the last two weeks.
- Last Friday (being of second week conditioning) I dry hopped. I soaked the bag in that white stuff that gets rid of stains (sorry I forget the chemical name) for 24 hours and then in Iodopher for 30 minutes. So I don't think it was the actual addition of hops that did it.
- I soaked a sponge (not a new one, one that we have been using for a while) in iodpher for 20 minutes. then I removed the cling wrap and wipped down the rim of the fermenter with the "steralised" sponge)
- Unbeknownst to me, the wife had recently used the sponge to clean up a bunch of pollen and dead flowers from our kitchen table. The pollen left a yello stain on the rim of the fermenter which I mistook for Iodopher.
- 5 days later this happens.

Now, I hear yeast grows on flowers, plants, pollen etc. I figure it would take about a week for something like this to grow. It couldn't have been anything before then or it would have shown up sooner. So it must have been the dodgy sponge with the pollen and flower debre, even though I sterilised the sponge.

Would you say I'd be correct in these assumptions?

LESSONS
Always use a new sponge.
Don't transfer to secondary unless you have to.
By the final week of conditioning, the beer is not "bullet proof" as I have been lead to believe by chaps at my local HBS

Hope this will help prevent folks from making the same mistakes.

Joel

whats it taste like Joel ?

does not look that infected to me, looks kind of normal ?

i dont clean anything if dry hopping,
just pull off cling wrap, throw in hops and replace with new CW

although next brew i should give the fridge a spray and clean...

Back