Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its actually the only cube ive ever had swell, decided to taste it and it was kinda sour and belgian like. pitched more yeast to help the gravity get down. i have no idea on how strong it is as it was concentrated in the cube.

Just had a look in the top of my funky brown cow (oud bruin) and there's a pellicle forming. WOOO! Happy days!
It's only been 2 months in the secondary now. And damn it smells brilliant!

01042011.jpg

Just had a look in the top of my funky brown cow (oud bruin) and there's a pellicle forming. WOOO! Happy days!
It's only been 2 months in the secondary now. And damn it smells brilliant!

View attachment 45018

Sorry man, but that doesn't look right!

I really have to try a sour beer to see if I could appreciate it, but at the moment, that looks a little :icon_vomit:

I'm sure its awesome, it just looks... off

Actually have an interesting one.

I racked perfectly clear beer into my keg, however some of the trub in the bottom made its way in as well. At the time I thought oh well it'll settle out, however 2 weeks later it's still pouring like a hefeweizen.

It's not chill haze as I poured a glass and let it sit overnight with some cling wrap on top, still cloudy 24 hours later and 15c warmer.

Reckon I should try some gelatin? It was US-05 yeast so I'm surprised why it's still floating. Could it possibly be an infection? I've read lactobacillus makes beers cloudy.

It was US-05 yeast so I'm surprised why it's still floating. Could it possibly be an infection? I've read lactobacillus makes beers cloudy.

US-05 makes beers cloudy. It doesn't settle hard on the bottom like a good lager yeast or S04 does.

I use US05 a fair bit, and most of my beers end up cloudy/hazy. I don't have a filter, but even after a 3 week fermentation which includes conditioning, it still isn't a clear yeast for my money.

Your problem sounds about right to me, and not really a "problem"....

glad to get some confirmation on the US05 not forming a hard pack. I dropped in some gelatine in this morning so hopefully it clears up some more

edit: mind you though by cloudy I mean it kind of looks like muddy water!

Just bottled a clone of the Dr Smurtos Golden and found this when i opened the fermenter (really should have looked before hand), it doesnt smell infected or taste bad. It almost looks like bread on the top.

Should i proceed in emptying all the bottles? This is just after emptying a complete batch of a dunkel that i stuffed up.

IMAG0223.jpg

Bowser, nothing wrong visually with your beer. The clumps are just protein etc coagulating. IT's ALL GOOD.

cheers ross

Bowser, nothing wrong visually with your beer. The clumps are just protein etc coagulating. IT's ALL GOOD.

cheers ross

Thanks Ross, ive done a fair few brews now and I havent seen this before. I will sleep a little better tonight :)

Thanks Ross, ive done a fair few brews now and I havent seen this before. I will sleep a little better tonight :)
I suggest you dispose of all the evidence and never speak of this incident again :p

Bottled my oud bruin the other night and I thought I'd share this photo of the state of the blowoff tube.
The black gunk was sitting at the water level. Not that you can see it, but there were cobwebs on it too.
It made my stomach turn. Thankfully the flavour of the beer did not.
11052011_002_.jpg

Just bottled a clone of the Dr Smurtos Golden and found this when i opened the fermenter (really should have looked before hand), it doesnt smell infected or taste bad. It almost looks like bread on the top.

Should i proceed in emptying all the bottles? This is just after emptying a complete batch of a dunkel that i stuffed up.

IMAG0223.jpg

It amazes me how disgusting beer can look at the fermented stage. Many a person who knows nothing about brewing (but loves a beer or 3) has looked in my fermenting fridge with a very strange glance. Then they look up at me like im some sort of maniac for thinking that I would even drink that.

2 weeks later after secondary and kegging out comes the finished product and a smile on my face...

+1 with Ross on this one - that looks totally normal to me.

IMAG0223.jpg

Looks like beer to me ;)

I'd be worried if the bottom of my fermentor didn't look like that

I think I have my first aceto infection? It's only on the very edges of the krausen though I'm sure that if left this will spread like a cheap bogan after a few vodka cruisers. I was seriously boasting to a mate the other night that "since starting AG, I have not had an infection in 30 odd batches". Haha fkin haha. Eat that!

Spewing, it's my first mild attempt. The only thing I did differently this time was just napisan and then starsan and not my usual napisan, pinkneo, boiling water then starsan, then boiling water.
It tastes fine out of the samples, I'm thinking that if I keg straight away, I should be alright....
Bugger.

109_0296.JPG

Back