Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nasty looking tap, but beer looks fine.

Syphon it away to another vessel ASAP.

Your taps got a slight leak I reckon and seems as it's only on the outside, just make sure you clean it well before you transfer and should be fine!

Just siphoned into a secondary and dry hopped at the same time. Hoping for the best. FG is close enough so will drop it in the fridge for a few days. Cross fingers.

Brewnicorn said:
Just siphoned into a secondary and dry hopped at the same time. Hoping for the best. FG is close enough so will drop it in the fridge for a few days. Cross fingers.
Good idea bypass the tap all together

I'd bin that tap all together and nuke that fermenter!

What do we think? I used the yeast bay funktown pitched correct amount, fermented hot ( I couldn't help it) 25c

Should I dump it or just keg it.
Seems to be a pellicle rather than mold .

1485651445424.jpg

looks normal for funk town to me
how does it taste

First time dry hopping in the primary fermenter (and using temperature control and CC'ing) so this may be perfectly normal but thought I might see if anyone notices anything odd about the attached images?

Was pitched on 15/01 with an OG of 1.047, fermented at about 17C using US-05. Had to give it a bit of a shake as 1.5 days later it didn't appear to have really kicked off, though I suspect my fermenter is leaking around the airlock.

Around 10 days later it had settled at 1.010 which is when it was dry hopped (20g of Simcoe and 20g of Citra). At the same time I dropped the temp on the temp controller to 0 to CC (possibly too early??). Went to keg it last night and it had a very strong fruity aroma.

There's a bit of an oil slick look on the top (is this due to hop oils and CCing?), along with white spots with bits of green around it's edges, and a couple of bits of darker spots (hop matter? bits of krausen gunk from the side of the fermenter?).

I've gone and kegged it and it doesn't taste or smell foul (though I worry about my sense of smell and taste sometimes hahaha). Has a slightly odd taste I can't really peg and is rather bitter (was 62 IBU's) though not sour or funky as far as my lame senses can tell.

^^ that is a beautiful looking normal every day ferment. Nothing wrong. I and many others prefer to dry hop at around ferment temp as it tends to give the best fruity/floral aroma.

Coodgee said:
^^ that is a beautiful looking normal every day ferment. Nothing wrong. I and many others prefer to dry hop at around ferment temp as it tends to give the best fruity/floral aroma.
Thanks Coodgee! I think it was the green bits that threw me the most :D
I've dry hopped once in the keg and that blocked it up towards the end so thought I'd try the fermenter method. Will keep in mind about letting it sit at ferment temp next time!

TonyF said:
Thanks Coodgee! I think it was the green bits that threw me the most :D
I've dry hopped once in the keg and that blocked it up towards the end so thought I'd try the fermenter method. Will keep in mind about letting it sit at ferment temp next time!
You're fine to cold crash and then dry hop once the yeast has fallen out of suspension, but I think cold crashing and dry hopping won't work too well. The yeast in suspension will cling to the hops/oils and pull them to the bottom as it falls out. I just dry hopped one of my beers and experimented a bit. I crashed it to 14 degrees to drop the yeast out, then added the hops to the fermenter. In 3 days I will crash to 0 and then keg after 2 days.

Tony, your fermenter looks like any batch with dry hopping. The chunks are propably hop flakes floated by residual co2 from the cold crash.

I'm with Coodgee and BK - 3 day dry hop at ferment temp before cold crash. I've been know to time this with last few days of active ferment to max hop utilisation with the co2 "stirring" the hops through the beer for a few days. Cold crash for 24hr after and bottle her up.

BK, any reason for the two temp cold crash?

Cheers
Garf

Garfield said:
Tony, your fermenter looks like any batch with dry hopping. The chunks are propably hop flakes floated by residual co2 from the cold crash.

I'm with Coodgee and BK - 3 day dry hop at ferment temp before cold crash. I've been know to time this with last few days of active ferment to max hop utilisation with the co2 "stirring" the hops through the beer for a few days. Cold crash for 24hr after and bottle her up.

BK, any reason for the two temp cold crash?

Cheers
Garf
Just trialling it mate. Theory is that more of the yeast will drop out before I dry hop, so the hops can do their thing without clinging to the yeast and being pulled to the bottom when crashed to 1 degree.

Thanks BK and Garfield! Sounds like the consensus is to dry hop at fermentation temps. Not sure if I'll dry hop in the fermenter again or just dry hop in the keg like the previous batch. Hmmm.. maybe I should make one batch, using my racking cane to siphon some off to a keg with a keg dry hop and do the remainder in the fermenter. See if it makes much difference. :)

Has been very wet here lately.

Went to crash two batches that have been in primary for a month or so (too long I know, it went quick!)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427639.702222.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427664.179966.jpg

Mould and/or pellicle. Both taste fine at the moment, finished a couple of points high. They are on the bench tonight but I reckon I will tip them.

Unfortunately the ferment fudge has a bit of mould. Gave a bit of a clean up, was only a little. Concerning are a couple of buts on the outside of the good fermentor - hopefully only the outside!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492427853.080087.jpg

After a good wipe and starsan I put a yeast starter in there, hope it will be ok.

This part of brewing sucks.....

Latest posts

Back