Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have never had an infection in any of my brews yet, been getting more slack with my process thinking I was overthinking it. New fementor and have never seen anything like this before, is it ruined?

Resized_20161115_132655.jpeg

I think this thread should be re-named "this is what totally normal fermentation looks like"

It looks like it was underpitched and a slow ferment, but otherwise OK. Alternatively, a yeast strain that does not produce a big krausen.

Well I feel like an idiot then haha, its wlp029, i made up a large starter but it was old'ish yeast. I just have never seen so much brown muck on top of any of my other beers.

Matplat said:
I think this thread should be re-named "this is what totally normal fermentation looks like"
Followed by the "is it infected?" thread with a bot that auto replies "No."

There is no such thing as a "dumb question"

If you ask a question it may make you look stupid for 5 minutes. But if you don't ask, you may stay stupid for 50 years.

Always ask questions.

Jamesco said:
Well I feel like an idiot then haha, its wlp029, i made up a large starter but it was old'ish yeast. I just have never seen so much brown muck on top of any of my other beers.
Don't,

I had a good look at your pic and I haven't seen a ferment like that before.

I'm glad you asked.

My first fermentation with Nottingham yeast left some shit on top like that and even after a 4 day dry hop and 4 day CC didn't drop.
No where near as much as that but still had me thinking.
Beer is awesome so not worried.

1479203353455.jpg

Multiple lacto infections over the last few months... I'm about to tip out an entire ESB!

What is the normal procedure for eliminating this or finding its source?

Anyone else had this struggle?

Garf

Without knowing your cleaning, sanitising and personal hygiene when preparing for a brew your question is like asking "how long is a piece of string". You state over the last couple of months so I assume brews were ok before that. If so what has change, are you doing anything different that could be causing the problem.

grott said:
personal hygiene when preparing for a brew
This one is actually a good one. I bet most brewers don't even think about it, but there's a lot of bacteria constantly departing your body.

I've got some beard snoods from my visit to the ice cream factory, perhaps I should start wearing them when brewing. Maybe now I also understand why some people mix up 40+ litres of starsan - they take a bath in the stuff before brewing.

Guys I'm sorry i wasn't thinking straight today. Its actually an aceto infection not lacto (heck I'd be stoked if i had attracted some wild lacto).

It first showed up around August when i was lagering three beers at once. Two of them were salvageable but one was vinegar.

So other than the lager yeast, not much has changed

Garfield said:
Multiple lacto infections over the last few months... I'm about to tip out an entire ESB!

What is the normal procedure for eliminating this or finding its source?

Anyone else had this struggle?

Garf
If you wanted to try salvage the FV sodium perc for a week, rinse thoroughly, leave in the sun for a few days, store with fresh star san (and just throw the tap out)

It's not happened hot side, so don't worry so much about anything there.

For what they're worth I'd bin the fermenter or gift it to someone you sincerely hate.

Leaving plastic fermenters in the sun for extended periods of time is not a great idea. While the UV may or may not kill bacteria, it will certainly degrade the plastic.

I'm 8 days into a ferment for a pale ale - coopers kit, just a handy back up for New Years - was going to dry hop today then cold crash the fv. Thinking of doing a vessel transfer cos of some funky mould I've just spotted on my new tap. Pic of the tap and the wort.
Looks fine and smells fine - but has me concerned. Should I transfer? Don't want that mould making its way inside.

Keen on some feedback so I can act asap if I need to.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480827244.987245.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480827269.170776.jpg

Latest posts

Back