Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chunkious said:
How did the Mild turn out Liam? I need to do another.
ended up at 3.2% - tasted alright except I used too much brown malt (home roasting experiment) & subsequently tastes a bit dusty.

Liam_snorkel said:
I got pepper from WY3711 which I had let go above it's recommended temps
Interesting that could explain the ale! I fermented at correct temp around 10.5deg. I did a stability test and it took 4 days before anything happened. Anyway's its very subtle and could be from the polenta?? Never tried it before, sure it will be fine, just strange.

Hi All,

Here is a picture of a new batch that I have just put into the fermenter last night. It was getting late, Australia was getting flogged in the cricket, so I haven't had a chance to pitch the yeast until now. Except it looks strange.....does this look normal or do I have a problem?

IMAG0692.jpg

Is that all the break material also? If so then that could be normal, all-though I would pitch the yeast asap and see how it goes, it should be fine as-long as you where careful with sterilization and you pitch plenty of fresh yeast.

No need for a photo, looks like lacto racked it to secondary and is in cc still tastes ok at this point . The thing is it was half of a double and the other fermenter looked fine( now on tap tasting ok). Having said that this one took an extra couple of days to get to FG so wondering if it was the chiller or the fermenter. Was planing a double for the coming weekend so going to nuke the lot. the offending fermenter is soaking in sodium perk right now, I'll then hit it with PBW, then bleach, rinse, then star san. Just tossing up whether to do a double as planned or drop a single and see where things go. Any tips thoughts? Aint had things goes wild for a very long time

I cringe every time I see this thread pop up

@ kanetoad, what sort of FV is that? looks like break to me too.

ed: how did it turn out?

I brewed on Sunday, a pale lager.. Pitched yeast around 1pm.. 24 hours .. Nothing, i peered through the lid to see a couple of whitish dots on top, fearing the worst! Brew shops all close Monday here, and lucky they do, I got home yesterday to a nice Krausen!

My first thought was this thread haha

Ok will admit, lazy and was poor form, fortunately, no beer was lost in this.. I bottled this brew.. a little while ago and just havnt had / didnt make the time to clean the FV.. so today I make the time to clean 6 or so kegs, 2 FV's and a cube that I had thought was clean but was suddenly developing green spots on the inside..

FV looked like this when I opened it.

First Known.JPG

wassat one then for all the wild yeast knowing peeps... lesson learned to make the time early.

ed: typo

Yob, at least you don't have to ask whether it's necessary to make a starter. That looks ready to pitch the next batch straight on top.

Is that a red tinge around the krausen ring? Looks like a mould that grows on my shower curtain in summer...

Can't taste much yet. Brett? Aceto? Looks like the same shit I had a while back. Slight sourness and some stripped flavor.

image.jpg

No it's my 60 liter ferm. The last one was about a year ago in a 30 liter that I got rid of.

Gav80 said:
Can't taste much yet. Brett? Aceto? Looks like the same shit I had a while back. Slight sourness and some stripped flavor.
Anyone got any thoughts as to what this is (post 313)? It's reared its head again and im kinda pissed off. I cleaned the Fermenter 2 times perc then bleached the shit out of it, then flushed with fresh water, then filled with boiling water and then sanitized. Pored a kolsch in and it's back. Another 50L on the grass.
It's definitely sour but not overwhelming. It has definitely stripped the malt profile from the kolsch. I don't want to throw the fermenter but I dont want to lose another 50L batch. So far iv'e lost 100L of beer a filter and a heap of beer line.

Gav80 said:
Anyone got any thoughts as to what this is (post 313)? It's reared its head again and im kinda pissed off. I cleaned the Fermenter 2 times perc then bleached the shit out of it, then flushed with fresh water, then filled with boiling water and then sanitized. Pored a kolsch in and it's back. Another 50L on the grass.
It's definitely sour but not overwhelming. It has definitely stripped the malt profile from the kolsch. I don't want to throw the fermenter but I dont want to lose another 50L batch. So far iv'e lost 100L of beer a filter and a heap of beer line.
did you culture the yeast? replaced the tap and cleaned the tap thread?
tried hot caustic above 80 degrees? its the only one ive found that fixes this sort of recurring infection.

mje1980 said:
Did you use glad wrap?. Always a culprit.... :)
I usually use gladwrap on most of my beers. I didn't on this one though.
barls said:
did you culture the yeast? replaced the tap and cleaned the tap thread?
tried hot caustic above 80 degrees? its the only one ive found that fixes this sort of recurring infection.
Yeah man, I split all my plastic taps and I really cleaned the thread. Im sure I got the infection from underpitching a lager (being a lazy c*&t). I haven't tried caustic yet but i'll give it a go. Hows clean with PBW. Caustic at 80deg then wash out with water. Clean with PBW then bleach. Wash out several times with water then sanitize sound? I'll throw out my filter and throw out all the beer line and any silicon hose I used with the infected beer.
As for the beer taps and strainless kegs should I soak it all in the fermenter with the caustic?

Thanks for the help.

Gav

have you run it through kegs and taps? if not dont worry.
the above sound well above what i did but will work mine was clean with percab then caustic and then leave to cool then drain and rinse then sanitise as per normal for you. also make sure you wear the right ppe when you do it. the brewing grade caustic is a bitch on the skin.

Back