Infection! Help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_3948

Reaction score
Ok, so I checked on the brew today, and saw this brown coloured area on the top of the wort.
pretty sure its an infection, but what can i do about it?

The brew is a Canadian blonde, with 750g dextrose, 250g LDME,
saflager s-23 -from sediment of previous brew. (could the yeast be contaminated?)
Been fermenting nicely at 12 deg for 5 days now, and i have only just noticed this stuff on the top.
Also has a strong rotten egg smell, which i assumed was just the lager yeast??
Everything was sterilized with sodium metabisulphite.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SANY0948.jpg

Rotten Egg smell to me sounds like some happy yeast, have a taste from the tap and see.

Yeah don't knock it til you've tried it ;)
I don't think there's anything wrong with that photo?

Photo looks normal - I don't think that you need to panic at this stage.

Yeah thanks, just concerned about the brown stuff to the left, figured if it was normal it would be on the other side too?

looks like Krausen to me. Although true lager yeasts are mainly bottom fermenters. H2S is common with lager yeasts too, nothing much to worry about.
Take a hydrometer reading and taste the sample. That should tell you whether it is infected or not, much better than wild guesses from a photo in a post. If it tastes rotten then it may become lawn food but not yet.

Edit: get rid of the Sodium Metabisulphite and splash out on some Starsan or Iodophor much better and costs next to nothing in real terms if you follow the dilution ratios.

Alright, just checked Sg, its at 1032, OG was 1050 (filled it to 18L not 23L)
Also has a taste and it doesn't taste terrible, just a bit eggy from the H2S I think, not sour or anything though.
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping for an infection photo with the face of the devil and the tentacles of the Kraken!

Peter, if you're worried about infections how about you stop opening up your fermenter for a quick peer all the time?

I agree with all above, looks fine. There's also no real need to open up the fermenter, whilst 99% of the time it wont do any harm, there is risk in it and unless you NEED to, don't :icon_cheers: This one looks the good though, so I wouldn't worry ATM

This was the first time i've opened the fermenter, only did it to take the photo. I have a clear lid.
Not my first brew, first time lager. Done about 8 brews now, but they were all just k+k with kit yeast.

Back