In support of homeopathy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
can't stand that smug *******.
For some reason I always think of this when I see Pete and Manu sitting together

Gillian-Nigellea.jpg

My daughter has been struggling with mental health issues for last six months, really severe and hard for us as parents to deal with and understand. They have had her on all sorts of drugs and visiting a psychologist and psychiatrist ever month, hard on the wallet that.

Read a news article last week courtesy of Kirem, some people with anxiety have a genetic defect that blocks absorption of Folic Acid (vitamin B-9). By using bio activated B9 (Folinic Acid) such people can then get the B9 needed by their body/mind to control anxiety.

I trundle off to chemist to get some ($90, ten tablets)!!! FFS. But, give one to my daughter. Two hours later "how you feeling" ..... the answer.... AWESOME. She has been back to school for two days in a row, first time in months. She is eating properly again after losing 20% of her body weight, or 10kg.

Psychiatrist says "no, we want to keep her on the visits to me and the anti depressives" fark that you rip off karnt!

stewy said:
The placebo effect is well documented & has been studied. It works in some people but the effects are not as long lasting as meds.
Also, it can't stop cancerous cells from mutating or treat pathogens, which is why it's extremely dangerous when people recommend homeopathy in lieu of vaccination or vit c injections instead of chemo
Cancer researchers do not, and will not confirm that cancer can be beaten by a state of mind until they have scientific evidence of this, many people who have had cancer, which has either disappeared or gone into remission without any explanation they are at a loss to explain why, though they do say that stressful people WILL suffer ill health and would be prone to cancer.
I was reading of an oncologist who was talking about a female patient of his who had cancer several times which should have killed her but the cancer disappears, when asked for an explanation he replied he had no idea why the cancer disappeared but whatever it was she had he wished he could bottle it.
The mind is more powerful than what we give credit for.

wide eyed and legless said:
Cancer researchers do not, and will not confirm that cancer can be beaten by a state of mind until they have scientific evidence of this, many people who have had cancer, which has either disappeared or gone into remission without any explanation they are at a loss to explain why, though they do say that stressful people WILL suffer ill health and would be prone to cancer.
I was reading of an oncologist who was talking about a female patient of his who had cancer several times which should have killed her but the cancer disappears, when asked for an explanation he replied he had no idea why the cancer disappeared but whatever it was she had he wished he could bottle it.
The mind is more powerful than what we give credit for.
You are speaking about spontaneous remission. It occurs in approx 1 out of 100,000 people. The mechanism is not understood unfortunately.
To date the only 2 things we have observed that can work are poisoning it or cutting it out.

I agree the mind is extremely powerful, I just don't accept that it can cure cancerous cells based on the evidence at hand.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_remission

The 1 in a 100,000 could be wrong either way,as it said in that link a comprehensive study on breast cancer found that 22% went into spontaneous remission, as mentioned before without scientific evidence of what occurred cancer researchers will not even guess why. And the reason they claim that only 2 things work is because of scientific evidence that they work, not one researcher would put pen to paper and say what they may believe will work without evidence, its like the placebo, why does that work no one knows, except it has to be the mind and nothing else, also the surgical placebo that was carried out with 100% positive result one of the patients was tracked down after 7 years and was still fine.(Though I wouldn't rule out that the others may have been found and could have spoilt a good documentary)

Yes it could be wrong.

Point is, "mind over matter" is of no utility when trying to establish predictable treatments. If we clearly understood the mechanisms involved with SR it would be very useful, but we don't.

fraser_john said:
My daughter has been struggling with mental health issues for last six months, really severe and hard for us as parents to deal with and understand. They have had her on all sorts of drugs and visiting a psychologist and psychiatrist ever month, hard on the wallet that.

Read a news article last week courtesy of Kirem, some people with anxiety have a genetic defect that blocks absorption of Folic Acid (vitamin B-9). By using bio activated B9 (Folinic Acid) such people can then get the B9 needed by their body/mind to control anxiety.

I trundle off to chemist to get some ($90, ten tablets)!!! FFS. But, give one to my daughter. Two hours later "how you feeling" ..... the answer.... AWESOME. She has been back to school for two days in a row, first time in months. She is eating properly again after losing 20% of her body weight, or 10kg.

Psychiatrist says "no, we want to keep her on the visits to me and the anti depressives" fark that you rip off karnt!
Diet plays a big part helping with depression and anxiety. A pshycologist told me that the pills are not the bee all and end all, diet played a big part. Basically depression is cause by a lack of serotonin in the brain, and anti-depressants help to stop the absorption of serotonin. The key was to eat foods that are high in Tryptophann as tryptophan is needed to make serotonin in the bowl/gut. And Vitamin B supplements also helps as well with serotonin levels. A handfull of cashew nuts is supposed to as good as an anti-depressant

* Note. there is a bit more to it than that, and the above is a very broad description.

Stu, there is yet to be any evidence to support the notion that depression is caused by a lack of serotonin. The absence of evidence hasn't stopped the idea being bandied about by health practitioners including GPs, Psychologists and Psychiatrists. This doesn't mean SSRIs won't have an impact on an individual's depressive symptoms. It's just not known at this stage the reason underlying the effect.

Chemical imbalance in the brain causing depression in an a priori concept. One of the difficulties for the concept is the possibility that a chemically balanced brain may not exist. At this stage, there hasn't been any research proffered that identifies what a chemically balanced brain looks like.

The wheel has turned enough where ECT is back in the treatment possibilities. Maybe lobotomies will make a comeback soon.

Its a bit the same with anti-depressants. The old ones are being looked at over newer ones.

Medicine is a black art.

wide eyed and legless said:
Sorry to hear about your daughter John, how often does she have to take the tablet?
It is just a 15mg tablet so twice a day to stave off the anxiety, have found some folinic acid online and it is 100mg so should last her all day....

goomboogo said:
I fed all the kids bone broth when they were babies. It seemed logical; what else would babies have eaten in the paleolithic period?
Sure they did.

Mind you, 90% of them died before their 5th birthday as well...

Paleo will help you live to old age. remembering that back in the paleolithic, old age was 40.

Airgead said:
Sure they did.

Mind you, 90% of them died before their 5th birthday as well...

Paleo will help you live to old age. remembering that back in the paleolithic, old age was 40.
I was joking. The punchline was 'breast milk'.

goomboogo said:
I was joking. The punchline was 'breast milk'.
I was 90% sure you were.... but there is so much crap talked about paleo that you just can't be sure whether joking or serious...

Of all the fad diets, paleo would have to be the one that gets right up me. Most of them don't even pretend to be scientific, but paleo wraps its self in so much pseudo-scientific gobbldygook. "Its scientifically proven" paleo devotees will say before spouting a torrent of absolute crap.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back