In support of homeopathy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead, I am surprised at the level of aggression exhibited by some paleo dillettantes. Some people have become evangelical to the point where alternative views are assessed only as personal attacks. Sitting here on a Sunday morning, I'm almost expecting a knock at the door from someone wanting to tell me about the science of a paleolithic lifestyle.

I like to ask paleo people which particular paleolithic people they are modeling their diet after... is the the hunter gatherers of the Iberian peninsula who ate mostly deer and berries, the ancient people of England who ate a lot of wheat (yes, wheat... made into bread), the bushmen of the kalahari whose diet is 80% tubers, the sammi people of siberia who lived on reindeer and lichen or the Inuit of the north who lived exclusively on seal blubber and fermented seabirds (still eaten today...and sound really disgusting.. sandor katz has some nice quotes from Inuit elders in his book)?

Its also fun to tell them that they can't eat bacon. That paleo compliant meal someone posted above that consisted of sos,eggs and bacon - nitrates as a cure was probably late bronze age if not early iron age so no bacon, sausages were bronze age again (too hard to mince meat before metals). You can have the eggs, but only if you collect them from wild birds by raiding nests. And eat the developing chick as well. Bread, btw is fine. A lot of paleolithic people ate bread. Probably not wonder white but ground up grain or other starch made into flat breads. Grinding stones for grain and other starches are one of the more common stone tools we find.

Paleo is 100% crap and 0% science. Its just an excuse to eat crap and feel smug about it.

I'd argue there's some science behind it. The major flaw with the paleo concept is that the proponents tend to promote the evidence that supports it, and reject the evidence that doesn't. Like most diets though, it works for overweight people because you are simply managing the food you are eating and exercising appropriately. Most overweight people tend not to do either.
Homeopathy on the other hand - zero science, because if there was it would have died a quick death many moons ago.

TheWiggman said:
Homeopathy on the other hand - zero science, because if there was it would have died a quick death many moons ago.
Not if they mix it one part in ten thousand, then apply 3 drops under the tongue.

One part in ten thousand? Strong as buggery. They normally range from 6X to 30X where the x is oddly represented as 10. A 6X mix is 1 part in 10^6, to the other end where 30X is 1 part in 10^30. Chemically this is so low that an atom can't be considered present in a glass of water with certainty. So a workaround was developed. Hahnemann thought that if a solution was agitated enough, the water would retain a spiritual imprint of the original substance, and could then be diluted without limit.
Yep.

Yep. To drag this back on topic, homeopathy is right up there with paleo in terms of the crap:science ratio.

For homeopathy to work you do indeed need to (as Tim said) "take physics and bin it"

Back