Imported Beer Now Available At 1st Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But they could make BUL stuff taste exactly the same couldn't they?
I mean They change it on purpose because its more profitable or because they are lazy right?

There is no chance in hell the BUL carlsberg tastes like the real stuff. The real stuff is malty,dry and crisp, and a friggin excellent beer. The BUL is just another Mass produced lager.

When I was home last year October time in northern Ireland. I was picking up a case 24 440ml cans of carlsberg for 8pound About $16 aus. Funny thing was my mum said as I got through her front door I got you couple of cases of beer? Fosters haha wasn't a bad drop ether do they make that over seas or export it?

Fosters in the UK is brewed by Heineken (originally Scottish and Newcastle) and I believe only the yeast was imported from Australia. The UK version is only 4% and fairly unobjectionable as a lager (last drank some in Yorkshire about 10 years ago) but nothing like an Australian beer.

:icon_offtopic:

The German purity law does not exist anymore and the term is nowadays solely used for marketing purposes. It has been replaced with the Biergesetz (beer law) which allows a greater range of ingredients and additives in beer.

Wow this is interesting. Did not know about the Biergesetz and the removal of the purity law. So there's a possibility of adjuncts in my Radeberger?! :blink:

Just had a quick read through the provisional Beer law from 1993, from what i can gather not much has changed for bottom fermenting beers, but top fermenting beers are now also allowed other malts (like wheat) and different forms of sugar.
Not sure if this is the newest issue of the law though.

The Promotion doesn't start until tomorrow. Not yet on shelves

I drank carlsberg on tap in the maldives of all places. Beautiful beer. Got home and got some. Totally different, it was BUL, and was thin watery, and could have been any number of tasteless lagers. The real deal is miles better.

Carlsberg was one of my staples in Ireland a decade ago, brewed under licence by Guinness & shit by a long way compared to Danish, I have also written to Carlsberg (with no reply) as to the utter bile that is produced here, I swear it is VB with a different label, it is completely undrinkable here.

An exception to the rule of origin, I drank Guinness Export in Cambodia a few years ago & it shit all over Irish Guinness....black shit!!!

the original post: stella, "carlsberg ,becks ,heineken etc"

just coz they're imported doesnt mean they are quality beverages, these are the carltons of europe...yes they vae worse but these are by no means aspirational beers, Carlsbergs contributions to brewing science gives it some brownie points, but they're burning them rapidly by letting fosters brew in their name.

Yeh they are all brewed in Europe at least, I have tried the carlsberg and has a more full flavour than the licensed brew.... I have checked all the cans they all seemed to be brewed in European countries of origin and 100% sure that they weren't brewed in australia

I'll second this (I work at 1st Choice). We put together our promo tie up tonight and I was sure to check that the cans were imported. It seems like a pretty good price for imported beer so I assume the company has imported it themselves. Not 100% sure as I wasn't familiar with the importer on the sticker though...

Also put out our various gift packs, particularly looking forward to the Little Creatures one (pint of Pale, Bright, Rogers and Big Dipper).

As for imported vs BUL - the Heineken kegs are imported but the bottles are brewed here. Massive difference in flavour IMO. I actually really enjoy the kegs.

Local dan murphys has Heineken cans and becks bottles - imported versions (either warm on the floor or in the back fridge) for $39 Heineken cans (restaurant pack) and $45 (becks bottles).

Goomba

Wouldn't have a clue mate. I'm not high up enough on the chain to know what's happening in our Area let alone Nationally :lol:

As it's a pre-christmas catalogue, I would imagine it would be on some form of national scale but who knows. Best give your local a call tomorrow when it starts.

BUL is such a scam. They don't even try to use the same recipe.

Thirsty Boy hinted at it in this thread, post number 7.

Sounds like they use the local yeast which is used to munching on a bit of sugar to do it's job hence a "special syrup" is required.

Bittered with POR and finished with the target beer hops.

Like I said, marketing scam.

That's an interesting insight.

It made me think of everyone ranting about the newer James Squire range which seems to be almost 'dumbed down' flavour-wise to what people were tasting way back when. JS packaging is labelled as BUL so it makes you wonder whether the same thing has happened to their range of beers after being moved out of the Malt Shovel Brewery in Camperdown.

[quote name='Where's Jim?' post='841672' date='Nov 15 2011, 08:04 PM']I'll second this (I work at 1st Choice). We put together our promo tie up tonight and I was sure to check that the cans were imported. It seems like a pretty good price for imported beer so I assume the company has imported it themselves. Not 100% sure as I wasn't familiar with the importer on the sticker though...

Also put out our various gift packs, particularly looking forward to the Little Creatures one (pint of Pale, Bright, Rogers and Big Dipper).

As for imported vs BUL - the Heineken kegs are imported but the bottles are brewed here. Massive difference in flavour IMO. I actually really enjoy the kegs.[/quote]

Who is on the importer sticker? As somebody who works in the retail liquor market, the big 2 keep it moving.

For those thinking about the differences etc with BUL products. They mimic all variables "according to the maker" including water modiciation charts etc. Though, even with products express delivered (< 36 hours chill transit) the local ones always fall short. It's nothing new in the world, but in this country it's getting to be a total joke. The trade events say it all...."pick the imported one". They stopped that booth after the shockingly high hit rate for industry.

Carlsberg promotions are

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't even try to use the same recipe.

Thirsty Boy hinted at it in this thread, post number 7.

Sounds like they use the local yeast which is used to munching on a bit of sugar to do it's job hence a "special syrup" is required.
Read the post again. He says the yeast used is a non-CUB yeast. Meaning it is out of house. He also says he doesn't even know what strain it is. Looks like they use a provided strain.

Separate to the quoted post, I don't know why so many people act offended when a beer that is heaps cheaper doesn't end up being as good. I mean, who knew?

The carlberg has a nice yeast/banana overtone and aroma which isn't present in the brewed under licence version.... and in the past I emailed CUB and mentioned this and they stated "Our brewing process and ingredients are exactly the same as the original version" and i find that hard to believe when they taste totally different and it honestly shows how much they really know at CUB or they just think that we don't know what we are talking about????

:icon_offtopic: I would love it if someone with the right equipment could get some of these BUL beers and the originals and compare features such as gravity, colour, bitterness, etc. Maybe if someone collected reliable evidence that the products are significantly different, then they would get their act together and actually attempt to make the products taste similar.

Back