Import Duty On Turn Key Breweries?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at different turn-key brewing setups from various places overseas, mainly the USA, but also locally. I still don't know which I'm buying but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the import costs will be?

I realise anything over $1000 will be hit with GST on the total cost. Is there any import duty / excise or other taxes / cost on Brew gear from the US I should know about?

I'm just trying to budget things out...

Thanks for any help, :)

David.

i payed 5% duty +GST
So the 5% goes on product price +shipping.
Then you pay 10% on the above total.

Unless you are a lucky German from Brisvegas who was lucky and his brewery slipped through the customs door and he only payed cost +shipping and no duty or tax or $50 customs handling fee.

When I had a small 80kg pallet (skid) flown over from the US it cost about $200 in automation fees, about $60 in duty, $40 or more in paperwork fees from the clearing agency to invoice me for these fees, $50 clearing fee. Thats just from memory. With GST charged on all that too. Plus the $700 odd postage. I Think the valves only cost US$700 a year ago,

So be prepared for almost as much as the postage (mabee half), cos if you cant pay it within a week it gets sent back. Thats worst case senario to be prepared for large items that require stuff like forklifts etc. I cant find my reciept atm so cant give an accurate example. Hope I havent scared you too much.

Also the air freight only covered to the Mascot customs depot in sydney, so the local freight I had to organise myself as the freight down the coast was only offered to me once it was here and was huge, so theres another cost + gst.

Locally I was quoted $3000 for the two valves plus freight plus gst. Was still over a grand cheaper from OS.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at different turn-key brewing setups from various places overseas, mainly the USA, but also locally. I still don't know which I'm buying but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the import costs will be?

I realise anything over $1000 will be hit with GST on the total cost. Is there any import duty / excise or other taxes / cost on Brew gear from the US I should know about?

I'm just trying to budget things out...

Thanks for any help, :)

David.

Try a customs broker. They are in the yellow pages. They will give you the cans and can'ts of importing and give you a price for what it's worth.

Probably tariff classification 8438.40.00 - Brewery machinery. 5% duty + GST.
Tariff Chapter 84 25-43

i payed 5% duty +GST
So the 5% goes on product price +shipping.
Then you pay 10% on the above total.

Unless you are a lucky German from Brisvegas who was lucky and his brewery slipped through the customs door and he only payed cost +shipping and no duty or tax or $50 customs handling fee.

Duty is only charged on the value of the goods. Then GST is charged on value+duty+shipping.
A tax on a tax yes. But the reasoning is that GST is charged on the landed goods. If you didn't pay duty, you wouldn't have the goods in the country.

Can you ask the seller to put a big sticker on the box that says $900 ?

I wouldn't expect this tactic to work if getting something sent in the mail. Thanks to Gerry Harvey, Customs now examine parcels declared over $700, looking for invoices or evidence of value to charge duty+GST.

Can you ask the seller to put a big sticker on the box that says $900 ?
You'd have to be bloody good mates with the guy, as an intentional misleading customs declaration can result in some hefty fines.

Just something to keep in mind in this whole importing your own gear while the dollar is strong idea... If you do buy a turnkey system that has any amount of electronic componentry or any other gear that is native to it's country of origin, but not so native to yours, that if you do have any kind of problem, your spare parts may be weeks away and your support questions may take 24 hours to turn around.

And if you do diddle the customs system with dodgy values of equipment, your legal recourse for a refund will be severely inhibited. Sometimes it's just worth paying that few extra hundred dollars for service and back up support... ;)

Thank you everyone for the input,

I have no intention to mislead customs, I'm just trying to figure out costs :)

From my research and what has been said here, I'll be up for 5% duty and 10% GST. Plus $50 customs declaration.

I'm yet to make the decision if its worth buying overseas... I'd love to buy local if I can afford it.

Cheers

Dave.

I remember somewhere that BeerBelly in South Australia
Makes a turnkey....
cheers
PJ

I remember somewhere that BeerBelly in South Australia
Makes a turnkey....
cheers
PJ

Yep they do several according to their website, available in different configurations too.

(I'll duplicate this post here as it applies to this thread too)

I bit the bullet and just put in an order with MHB for a Braumeister! :D

After speaking to Mark on the phone, the advantages of buying in Australia were clear, and having Mark available if I encounter problems will be priceless.

In the end, the difference in price just didn't seem worth the risk and lack of support if I bought overseas. Hopefully this should be the only brew setup I will ever need, and the cost will soon be forgotten.

For future reference, http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp explains things pretty clearly.

secondly, I've a good friend who had a hell of a time even getting a quote for a system over the phone from them, months passed and he went elsewhere. Thirdly, good choice on the braumeister, I'm even tempted to sell all my gear and pick one up...

If for commerical use and not able to be manufactured locally is there not a loophole not to pay GST?

If for commerical use and not able to be manufactured locally is there not a loophole not to pay GST?

Who's brewing commercially on this site?

Also any gear, used for business (ie commercial) is eligible for a GST refund, so I'm not sure what you're getting at...

We currently have one of these systems along with the fermenter on order being shipped via Kuehne & Nagel sea freight leaving NZ on 04.04.11 from Farra, I will let you know the final wash-up on fees and charges, so far we are at $1k AUD for the sea freight.

Cheers,
Juddy

The final charge for Customs charges, GST and local freight came to around $700 AUD, so all up the total to get this into the country including was around $1700 AUD.

The GST component came in at 10%.

Cheers,
Dave

The final charge for Customs charges, GST and local freight came to around $700 AUD, so all up the total to get this into the country including was around $1700 AUD.

The GST component came in at 10%.

Cheers,
Dave

Did you get the 50SBB? Am I right in saying it cost all up around $5000 for the brewery landed (including shupping with the conical but not the purchase price)? It would seem about $1000 cheaper than beerbelly though lacks the HERMS, yeah?

Back