Immersion Heater Folk.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your well insulated it could/should

Yeah I have a similar one that I bought from beerbelly for $120 and it will keep a rolling boil in those volumes, but generally does need some insulation to do this.

Adam.

$108 is a reasonable price (can go in other stores from $100 to $120).

And it should smash through 30L easy (might take a little to get going but a rolling boil should not be a problem)

EDIT: oh yeah, I had insulating rubber around my SS pot and a lid until it came to boil.

Looks very similar to mine which boils upwards of 30L. Can take a bit of time so I usually chuck it in while doing the second sparge but once there, it holds it all at a good boil and needs no adjusting. I also use mine to step mash (some people have had trouble step mashing with immersion heaters so your mileage and all that.).

I tend to use my 15A (3600W) immersion nowadays for typical preboil volume of 31L. But my 10A (2400W) like your OP will also do the job, just takes a little longer to get up to the boil.

A piece of camping mat tied around the kettle may help in reducing losses too.

A great piece of kit, you will really enjoy the flexibility in brewing applications it can give you on any given brew day.

I have one and it will manage to boil 30l under most conditions.

outside, in winter, with a breeze, would be a no. Any other time, I am surprised how well it works.

. I also use mine to step mash (some people have had trouble step mashing with immersion heaters so your mileage and all that.).

How do you manage it Mants? I`ve blown up 2 Grimwoods and another (not the chinese electrocution jobbies) step mashing. I just gave up and listened to the manufacturers telling me that they are designed to sit in water only, no stirring etc.

I'll quickly add, these are great things, I hang mine using a brewing spoon in the hot liquor tun on a thermostat for getting the sparge water to temp. prior to that I use it with the addition of a timer plug for having my strike temp for the mash ready when I wake up.

I do not use it in the boil as i couldnt be arsed cleaning off beer stone (calcium etc) and caramelized wort, I also dont add brewing salts to mash until just after I remove the element.

I have a picture of the thermostat in the members gallery but not sure how to link into the post.
timer plug $10-15, thermostat was around the $100 mark from memory

Look's good.
I shall buy one.

cheers.

How do you manage it Mants? I`ve blown up 2 Grimwoods and another (not the chinese electrocution jobbies) step mashing. I just gave up and listened to the manufacturers telling me that they are designed to sit in water only, no stirring etc.

I use my 2 immersion heaters for step mashing also - takes a while for the temp to move and stirring the mash gives your forearms a good workout but it works fine. I'm careful to ensure they're both submerged in the mash while turned on and always moving as much as possible and haven't had a prob.

No problems so far. Stir vertically rather than in a circular motion if that makes sense - no idea if that helps but it might put less strain on it.

How long before yours carked it? Mine isn't that old but I do use it every brew now to tweak mash temps, hit mash out etc as well as any step mashing (I also use hot water and decoctions for full three step mash -immersion is to tweak if I miss and also for any multi step sacch rests so smaller jumps = less time) Seems fine - grain and grape model whatever that is.

I might have got 10 brews each. The first one Grimwood replaced, the second one I threw to the other side of the shed and the 3rd I bought from Arthur that also shit itself.
Main problem IMO was lack of shielding in the handle, constant stirring, heat, softness. I miss step mashing :(

med_gallery_7556_734_49442.jpg

Don't let this fool you.
It is a 2400w handheld element but the 2400w element of the urn is also running in this pic.
Soon after this pic I had to turn off the handheld to avoid boil over city, as you could imagine with 4800w of heating going flat out.

Great to ramp up to rolling boil quickly and give a vicious boil to kick off proceedings.

$108 sounds fairly reasonable. Where was that from?
Can anyone point me in the right directone to buy one in Sydney?

Gregor

Yeah,
I reckon what everyone else said....
I have one too and i do use it in conjuction with my gas burner to get wort up to a quicker boil....
Used it once in attempting a step mash...maybe i didn't move it enough ( i thought i was) but grain stuck to it and burnt , so i don't do step mashes either....
I also have a ss pot that has water in it , so that when i take it out hot and turn it off , it goes into the water straight away...might help make it easier to clean....

I use one, it did 30L fine, just took a bit of time. I now do 55L batches, so have an integrated 2400w and and an over the side. All good. No gas...!

med_gallery_7556_734_49442.jpg

Don't let this fool you.
It is a 2400w handheld element but the 2400w element of the urn is also running in this pic.
Soon after this pic I had to turn off the handheld to avoid boil over city, as you could imagine with 4800w of heating going flat out.

Great to ramp up to rolling boil quickly and give a vicious boil to kick off proceedings.

Hey Barley-Belly .... i notice that you have some sort of insulation around the urn/pot....... what are you using and does it make a huge difference ?.... i am investigate options to improve my rolling boil for my 40 l crown urn (concealed elm version)

cheers

5eyes

Back