Immersion Heater Folk.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Barley-Belly .... i notice that you have some sort of insulation around the urn/pot....... what are you using and does it make a huge difference ?.... i am investigate options to improve my rolling boil for my 40 l crown urn (concealed elm version)

cheers

5eyes

It's gym floor matting I picked up cheap from a hock shop.

Can't comment on the difference because I've had it on my urn from new. I've only done 2 Biab batches thus far.

No heat gets through to the outside at full boil if that is any guide.

I might have got 10 brews each. The first one Grimwood replaced, the second one I threw to the other side of the shed and the 3rd I bought from Arthur that also shit itself.
Main problem IMO was lack of shielding in the handle, constant stirring, heat, softness. I miss step mashing :(

Pretty sure mine has done more than ten now and seems to be fine. Just checked and it is a grimwood so fingers crossed. Step mashing aside, I love the flexibility it brings if I miss mash temp by a degree or two or run out of gas or need to boil under cover out of the rain.

Haysie, I'm assuming you are saying the handle is fecked, not the element, I had this issue also & have fixed by coating in silicon & wrapping with insulation tape. The handle is way stronger now.

hmmm... I should really get one of those, as I really don't trust my chinese one. It does a decent enough job, but earth leakage is a concern.

Mine arrived from Tobins today.
$118 inc GST plus $11 courier.
There will be a whole lot less waiting around next brew day.
With 2 x 2400W fixed elements in the HLT and then the 2400W immersion element chuked in there for good measure, I think my HLT will be up to strike temp in no time at all.
Will also use the immersion element in the kettle to get it to the boil, then cut back to gas for the rest of the boil.
Might even do 2 brews.

Gregor

Back