I'm Thinking I Might Go 3V

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been brewing for about 15 years, went to BIAB just over a year ago and love my beers. However, I do link to tinker and pushing 2 20l cubes out of my current set up is a bit dangerous- few close calls with heavy bags and hot wort.

So I have this 35l esky I don't use and I'm thinking about fitting it out. I gave it a run with some water to see how it held temp and it only dropped 1 degree in 90min. I wasn't expecting this.

Anyway. I like the idea of it, but is it worth it.

Fylp

Yes, even if just for the tinkering value alone.

I've been procrastinating over all the different configurations for the last 6 months and still haven't settled on a system yet. I really should sell everything and buy a Grainfather but I like to tinker so it's looking like 1v recirc or 2v ...or 3v.

Started off on extract bout 3 years ago, skipped Biab, did a few brews with a busted old bbq+esky tun, then went to a 50L 3v. On my rev2/100L v3 system now. The building of both systems was easily half the fun, it's been an awesome journey, take the plunge. [attachment=84237:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445773584.843666.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445773584.843666.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445773584.843666.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 59
If you love to tinker, 3V (or 4 or 5) is so much fun.

I'm about to add my 5Th V for reiterated mashing for super high gravity worts..

The builds!! The fun.. The satisfaction

Ed: system punches out 75l easily or 100l if I watch it closely

Even a 1V build can be made to be tinkered with. If you like to tinker i can highly reccomend building a brewery or two! Just as much fun as brewing imho. 3V is alot of fun, just try design it with minimising cleaning time in mind.

Way I see it, it's about which processes you prefer. In AG I started off BIAB, went to a modified 2V with bag, and am now (slowly) building a 4V.

BIAB produced great beers for me, but after brewing with a few friends on their 4V systems I found I liked the processes involved. Also, the system build is good fun if you're into tinkering.

Maybe brew with a few friends, club members etc on their systems and see what you like best. No hesitation recommending the switch to 3/4/5V though, from my perspective. That said, you can always re-jig your BIAB processes to make them safer.

What Husky says about cleaning is taken well in hand.

Tinkering is fun, but if space, time and cleaning is a concern jump straight into a braumeister :)

If your BIAB system is dangerous then you aren't doing it right.

I'm a 67 year old who is fairly fit but never been very muscular (I was the original 8 stone weakling at high school) and I handle BIAB just fine with a double block and tackle hoist.

As for cubes, I use 10L jobs that are easier to clean and handle and cool a lot quicker (surface / volume ratio) and if I wanted to I could use them as dumbells.

However a lot of forum members are in it for the tinkering. After 7 years I still don't know what an Arduino or a PID are and not interested but I know that many brewers just breathe this stuff.

Been through a couple of different systems now, but what I have ended up with is a 3v Gravity system with a pump and a herms added on.

So generally I run as a 4v herms (which I my favourite), but I do have the option to run as a gravity setup or run the herms for a big batch (100ltrs) whilst simultainously doing a BIAB.

Since the addition of an outdoor hot water tap the hlt has become semi redundant however.

What I love about herms is ramping from 64c to 78c by switching a button. The most physical thing about a 100ltr brew day for me is opening a sack of grain and moving full cubes.

Benn said:
I've been procrastinating over all the different configurations for the last 6 months and still haven't settled on a system yet. I really should sell everything and buy a Grainfather but I like to tinker so it's looking like 1v recirc or 2v ...or 3v.
If you buy or build a controller such as lael's latest Matho's Controller keep it as a separate unit that you can move between whatever system or systems you build. Do the same with your pumps and hoses so you can get the most use of whatever you buy. If down the track you choose one above the other and decide to sell, you can save taking a big hit on your investment by only having to sell minimal gear. Whenever members sell complete systems everyone admires and wants them but never end up paying near what they cost so factor this into whatever you build. :beer:

real_beer said:
You can go down the gravity 3 tier system path really quickly and cheap :icon_cheers:
That's my thoughts. I have all I need except for a sparge water vessel and another ball valve. If I heat the sparge water on the stove, this is what I do at the moment, I'll get this going for the cost of the ball valve.

I have a hop bazooka that I'm planning on using in the tun. If it is rubbish I'll find another cheap option.

Thanks for all the options and opinions fellas. I do appreciate have people to bounce these ideas off.

Fylp

Latest posts

Back