Im bad at this and I need help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just made a two can brew, of:

Coopers English bitter can
Coopers amber malt can
Safbrew T-58
Filled to 23L

Its sat on the heating pad for 8 days now, and the SG is stuck at 1.020 since day 6. The first night, I left the heating pad off it, and awoke to a brew around 18 degrees. No bubbles since that morning, but then I'm not 100% sure the seal is airtight in my shitty fermenter. I did get a nice big krausen though.

Is the SG too high for a dark ale like this? Should I just bottle it anyway, but maybe with a single sugar lump for the 740ml?

Please bestow upon me your wisdom, brewers of ages past

Goose said:
its going to be bitter.....
Just like me, if this becomes my fourth failure

Actually, it isn't too bad to taste. Had a sip today. Maybe because some of the sugar from the can has stuck around?

1.020 seems too high but I got that on a couple of can brews. Bottled it 2 drops for 750ml and it seemed to turn out flat because of too much body.
I'll guess maybe your under pitching on yeast. I've never used T-58 though. In combination that canned malt can have less fermentables.
You need to give more details of the prosess. 18c is a good temp etc.

18 should be right in the pocket for t58 . What temp is it On the pad ?

FG should be about 1013-1014 so I wouldn't bottle at 1020, nor after only 8 days. I'd let it ferment for another 6 days but take a reading in 2 days and if still at 1020 give fermenter a gentle swell to stir the the trub/ yeast. Fermenting at 18 degrees as suggested is the go.
Cheers

Sitting on the heat pad is keeping it between 22-24. So I'm probably thrashing it. No acetone smell though - would it cause any other problems?

RE Underpitching the yeast - I threw the yeast in when the brew was sitting at 29, so maybe that killed some of them. I did pour in the liquids as vigorously as I could.

Should I get another T58 and make a starter with it, and chuck that in?

YeastInspection said:
Sitting on the heat pad is keeping it between 22-24. So I'm probably thrashing it. No acetone smell though - would it cause any other problems?

RE Underpitching the yeast - I threw the yeast in when the brew was sitting at 29, so maybe that killed some of them. I did pour in the liquids as vigorously as I could.

Should I get another T58 and make a starter with it, and chuck that in?
No starter, rehydrate as per manufacturers instructions

Best to note what's been stated above, ie try to get temp at 18 degrees (suggest turning the heat pad off and putting a jumper over the fermenter or blanket around.) Do another hydro check tomorrow.
If you look on top of brew, any bubbles (using a torch is best), any condensation on the underside of the lid.

Don't worry I don't think your in any major trouble.
Cheers

Just to check - are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to check gravity? Refrac readings need to be changed to account for alcohol as it ferments.

Adam.

I don't think swirling the fermentor will do much as t-58 stays in suspension for a long time anyway . I'd be inclined to throw a pack of something with higher attenuation in, like Nottingham , to drop those last few gravity points .

Goose said:
its going to be bitter.....
Really?

I would have thought that 1 can of hopped extract combined with a can of non-hopped extract would be light on bitterness - if anything.

Especially with Amber extract, I'd agree Danestead. I didn't even find the EB kit all that bitter when I mixed it with light extract to be honest.

themonkeysback said:
Just to check - are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to check gravity? Refrac readings need to be changed to account for alcohol as it ferments.

Adam.
Just the hydrometer that came with the kit. The temperature is sitting at about 24 when I draw it from the fermenter.

I came home to it sitting at 24.5 this arvo. So, following grott's advice, I've turned off the heat pad and given him a designer jumper. There's been condensation on the inner roof of the fermenter consistently each day, so maybe it is still going.

Last concern: I'm going away this friday until next sunday, so I can either bottle this thursday arvo, or Monday the 4th of July. If the SG still hasn't dropped by thursday, which option is the most likely to leave me with a drinkable product?

Getty swirl or stir some yeast back into fermentation, increase the temperature to at least 21c ... I'd go higher with a Belgian yeast and given that (presumably) well over half of the attenuation has occurred already (up to 23c if it was me). Give it another week. Look into all grain.

What OG did you measure on the brew? What does your hydrometer read in 20C water? Perhaps it's out of whack.

If you are going away, the smartest thing may be to turn off any heating and let the temperature drop as low as it wants to. Let it sit there until you return, then bottle.

If you bottle in a hurry and it wasn't finished, you could be making glass grenades.

I'd leave it for antother week. if its not done best case you get gushers, worst bombs

Well, SG just dropped to 1.015! Woohoo!

I'll take the advice and leave it another week. Thanks guys :)

Latest posts

Back