Some advice needed for a newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsibum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Threw my 4th or 5th brew on a couple of weeks ago, was planning to bottle it a few days ago, around the 10 day mark, but the SG is still pretty high in comparison to the other brews I have done. This one is 13 days now in the fermenter, and stuck on 1014-1015 (from OG 1056).

Is that too high to be bottling tomorrow? It has been sitting on that SG since the beginning of the week, but I don't know how to get it to go lower (if even possible).

Heres what I did (if that helps):

- Coopers Bootmaker Pale Can
- Half a box of BE3
- Deliverance IPA grain kit with 1.5kg sugar
- Mangrove Jacks West coast yeast
- Citra hops added to boil with the grain kit.
- dry hopped with galaxy after fermenter stopped bubbling (about 3-4 day mark)

I am thinking of just bottling it and seeing how it goes, but would be keen for some feedback if anyone has any, for this brew or for future ones :)

Cheers
Matt

One point, what you put in is really important. How much water is just important!
Brew maths is all about concentrations, mass in volume (or mass/mass same same).
Clearly you are making more than a standard 23L brew but how much more is important.

Which leads to the point, one packet of yeast is at the low end of the recommended pitching range for a single brew, its a cripplingly low pitch for a double brew.

One of the common and easy ways to tell how yeast is preforming is apparent attenuation (AA%) (change over OG as a percentage), for this brew (56-15)/56*100 = 41/56*100 = 73% which is pretty low, for one of the Chico yeasts you would expect 75-78%.
The other way to tell is time, if you have enough yeast the brew will be over in 7 days max (FG in 4-5 days).

Using an appropriate pitch rate will give you better beer faster, which is all to the good.
Mark

One point, what you put in is really important. How much water is just important!
Brew maths is all about concentrations, mass in volume (or mass/mass same same).
Clearly you are making more than a standard 23L brew but how much more is important.

Which leads to the point, one packet of yeast is at the low end of the recommended pitching range for a single brew, its a cripplingly low pitch for a double brew.

One of the common and easy ways to tell how yeast is preforming is apparent attenuation (AA%) (change over OG as a percentage), for this brew (56-15)/56*100 = 41/56*100 = 73% which is pretty low, for one of the Chico yeasts you would expect 75-78%.
The other way to tell is time, if you have enough yeast the brew will be over in 7 days max (FG in 4-5 days).

Using an appropriate pitch rate will give you better beer faster, which is all to the good.
Mark

Thanks Mark, some great advice there. I did wonder if the yeast I put in was enough. BTW it is a 23L batch. Is there anything I can do now to salvage it or throw it out and start again?

Matt

what was the grain kit. Is that like a tin of extract , a fresh wort kit or actual grain that you steep or mash ?

your og 1056 seems pretty low for all those ingredients at 23l .if its 1014 I'd say it went pretty well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back