If I filter do I need to cold crash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never liked gelatine either although not for taste reasons, and can't be bothered with a filter set up. I've used a schedule of isinglass first then Polyclar a couple of days later during the CC phase (which is about a week long), kegging the beer a few days after the Polyclar is added. I've had great results from this, but I might give the Biofine a go at some stage too and see how it compares to my current procedures.

I've thought about a floating dip tube type thing for my kegs but once they go in the kegerator they stay put until empty so no real need for it in my situation I guess.

+1 for the Cask Widge floating pickup.
I am fairly time poor and also loathe excessive process tinkering but brewing much Eurolager (its quite popular with the family & friends), so I've been using BrewBrite in the boil and the floating pickup in the cornie, results in brilliantly clear pale lager well within a fortnight of going into the keggerator, it's actually quite astounding. I leave it CCing for up a week before kegging too, no racking or any such nonsense though.
Anyway, as usual, there are many ways to tackle this particular issue or achieve certain ends, it's fair to say though that few folks can be arsed with filtering, I'm one of them.

You bastards
Just when I thought I had it all sorted.

Soooo

Biofine $10
2x cask widge floats $59
2× gas dip tubes $19
Postage say $10

$89all up.

Suckers had betta work or Hulk get very angry and you wouldn't want to see Hulk get angry.

+1 for the Cask Widge floating pickup.
I am fairly time poor and also loathe excessive process tinkering but brewing much Eurolager (its quite popular with the family & friends), so I've been using BrewBrite in the boil and the floating pickup in the cornie, results in brilliantly clear pale lager well within a fortnight of going into the keggerator, it's actually quite astounding. I leave it CCing for up a week before kegging too, no racking or any such nonsense though.
Anyway, as usual, there are many ways to tackle this particular issue or achieve certain ends, it's fair to say though that few folks can be arsed with filtering, I'm one of them.

Unless I am missing something, wouldn't 20-30ml of Biofine at kegging result in the same clarity, minus the parts and sanitising for each brew?

If you are leaving the beer cold in the keg for 2 weeks before drinking, it should have dropped clear, except for the first glass or two.

Adding biofine before transfer of beer to keg would less in process tinkering than adding/removing and sanitising the widget float line thingo.

All IMO, and look forward to further results as I would join the widget train if clarity happens before biofine works.

Unless I am missing something, wouldn't 20-30ml of Biofine at kegging result in the same clarity, minus the parts and sanitising for each brew?

If you are leaving the beer cold in the keg for 2 weeks before drinking, it should have dropped clear, except for the first glass or two.

Adding biofine before transfer of beer to keg would less in process tinkering than adding/removing and sanitising the widget float line thingo.

All IMO, and look forward to further results as I would join the widget train if clarity happens before biofine works.

I think the idea is that the biofine drops all the haze, tannin, protein etc to the bottom and the widge draws the beer from as far away from that shit as possible. Yes you are probably right that you would just as good clarity from using the dip tube and fining in the fermentation vessel. But the widge is bright red and fun to say!

Good point Aus, but I don't remove the widge, treat it just the same as a dip tube and I only occasionally run sanitiser though a keg too, so all in all not much different.
I should also add that the method above has delivered the most startling results consistently, I've tried pretty much the whole spectrum of clearing agents and techniques, except for biofine.

Last edited:
Sucked in also.
Just got back with the Bifofine (amongst other things) in my hot little hands.
This had better work to expectations.

Cheers Pete, please post your finings ;)

Thanks for all the input. I have kept the cold crash but reduced how long it's cold for to a day. I brew weekly, on Saturday and exclusively ales. So am kegging the second Saturday after I mash my grains. But I have considered doing a weeknight brew to double my output and hence the original question.
I get a good result with this process. Not aiming for commercial clarity but want the yeast to stay away and never to have another stray hop plug up my dip tube poppet.

Back