If I filter do I need to cold crash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick_BCB

Reaction score
Just looking to streamline my brewing. I currently cold crash and then filter into a keg. Can I skip the cold crash? I expect the filter might clog more but that's ok. If I can remove 3 days of cc'ing from my brew cycle I can brew more often.

Thoughts?

Out of interest do you currently get much crap in the filter after you have cold crashed?

I would say yes. Based on my experience cold crashing and holding at -1 seem to help remove chill haze as well as yeast.

I streamlined my brewing by getting rid of the filter. Fining actually works much better for me - biofine clear gives me a really bright beer. as in as bright as a VB or XXXX Gold.

Thanks Coodgee. I fined with cold crashing and gelatine before going to filtering. Like lots of processes I went additive rather than thinking about what I was replacing. Now I am thinking of removing this step altogether and just filtering.

If you are filtering, I would not worry about finning, just crash chill and hold it a few days.

If you filter warm you will have no chance or removing chill haze but you might remove it if you filter cold.

I'd sooner ditch filtering and keep CCing IMHO. What grade is the filter in microns?

Just looking to streamline my brewing. I currently cold crash and then filter into a keg. Can I skip the cold crash? I expect the filter might clog more but that's ok. If I can remove 3 days of cc'ing from my brew cycle I can brew more often.

Thoughts?

Gee mate, if 3 days is adding too much time to your brewing process you must be running a high volume operation. I have a filter, but tend to CC and then put it in a keg. Only time I filter is if there is a concern with hops in the finished product.....dry hopping can do that!

See you, Anthony

That's the "secret" method of Carlton cold, etc. The beer is crashed to about freezing to coagulate the proteins, then it is filtered. This allows them to be a bit more wild with their recipes and still produce a clear beer.

Thoughts?
If you want super bright beer, you must filter cold. You can't remove things like chill haze until it forms, and it forms when cold. You don't need three days CC, just need to get it cold and let any haze form.

You'll get better results if you use some Polyclar as part of your filtering process..

if you are filtering then simply reduce the length of the cold crash to 1day. Set the fridge to 4c the night before and when it reaches that temp do your transfer to serving keg.

I streamlined my brewing by getting rid of the filter. Fining actually works much better for me - biofine clear gives me a really bright beer. as in as bright as a VB or XXXX Gold.

I've never heard of this, how do you add it?

I've never heard of this, how do you add it?
Kegs23 and Mitch from Craftbrewer have been singing its praises for a while now.

Last edited:
yeah Anthony from craftbrewer put me onto it. The xbmt test found it to be no better than gelatin, but my understanding is that biofine works on a wide range of haze causing issues. I have found it to be a very easy solution. I just inject 10ml down the gas dip tube of my keg and give it a shake before carbonating. drops very clear in less than 48 hours. I accidentally put some in a wit (got the kegs mixed up) and 10ml dropped the ******* clear as a bell!!

FYI
http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/23/th...gelatin-vs-biofine-clear-exbeeriment-results/

Cold crashing + a week or so in the keg does it for me these days.
No more filtering, no more gelatine.
Just a more streamlined process.

I do the same thing, gave filtering away some time back. I've never liked gelatin, I.... possibly imagine I can taste it, but it's enough for me not to use it.

Beers are very clear but don't sparkle like a filtered beer does, might give biofine a try..nothing to loose I guess.

yeah Anthony from craftbrewer put me onto it. The xbmt test found it to be no better than gelatin, but my understanding is that biofine works on a wide range of haze causing issues. I have found it to be a very easy solution. I just inject 10ml down the gas dip tube of my keg and give it a shake before carbonating. drops very clear in less than 48 hours. I accidentally put some in a wit (got the kegs mixed up) and 10ml dropped the ******* clear as a bell!!

OK your convinced me to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back