Ibu APA/IPA help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louistoo

Reaction score
I am trying to nut out my first pale ale that strays into IPA territory and wonder about bitterness from post flame out 70c addition with 20 min hop stand. Takes at least half an hour to get to pitch temp with my IC. None of my brews to date been more than 45 ibu.
thinking:
post boil vol:23lt
og:1.058-60
5.5kg grain biab

columbus 17.7aa 6g@60 for 12.7
columbus 17.7aa 50g@10 36.7ibu

I want to do a 0 min too but don't want much more than total 50ibu, any thoughts or improvements are welcome! :rolleyes:

From my experience it should be AOK, you might get 20-30 IBU from the end hops at the most. Often the figures tell lies, the late hop addition will give more aroma and flavour perception than bitterness even though the bitterness is there. It is trial and error and personal taste. Hope this helps.

Also bitterness will mellow in time so Ive never worried to much as long as your in the ball park

Hey thanks for replies. In the end I went with
maris otter 5kg
crystal 120 300g
rye malt 200g
ekg 22g @ 60 12ibu
columbus 30g @ 10 22.02ibu
columbus 40g @ 5 16.4ibu
amarillo 21g @ 70c
columbus 15g@ 70c
og at pitching us05 was 1.056 which was lower than expected but still learning as this is 3rd biab effort. So I have a very bitter pale ale or maybe a "sessionable" ipa! at 50 or so ibu. Thanks to yob for getting me hops before weekend here in Tas. The columbus smelt great!

Hi mate where bouts in tassie are ya, every now and then I like to brew a realy hoppy pale way out of balance, would probably flunk in competition but hey sometimes thats what my tastebuds crave.

I'm in west hobart Mick. Was inspired by the smell Bribie G's hop thief 6 clone recipe when fermenting. Used old Columbus for that one (still tasty!) and thought wow, love to try that fresh! Simcoe was giving off mad blueberry aroma too! unbalanced? probably! still be happily drunk I bet!. Rehydrated us05 appears to be already ferm. after only 3 hours. WTF?! Maybe worth the trouble rehydrating after all!

Ive fallen for the columbus and Simcoe combination lately realy nice together. As for unbalanced my last extreme pale came out at 71 ibu on beersmith 4 percent abv dry finish, i wanted something that hit ya in the face after work I enjoyed it thoroughly others would probably have a different opinion. That was a simcoe columbus combination to

Like a slap in the face with a wet tee towel eh! Def. a fan of those two together. Planning on brewing the hoppy thief again soon for sure

Back