I think I have lost it!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
law-of-ohms said:
I thought I had better walk the walk. My first gladwrap is fermenting now. I sware I know now what it was like for chicks in the 60's to burn their bra!!!
Please post pics when you march down the street with a couple of fermenter lids to throw on a Bon fire.

I’ve never understood why so many experienced brewers on here swear by Gladwrap and say it’s so much easier than using a lid and air lock.

I use Gladwrap sometimes but usually use the lid as it gets cleaned on the fermenter without any extra effort anyway. I also often use an air lock or sometimes a hard spile in the grommet hole and just throw them in and clean them in the fermentor.

S.E said:
I’ve never understood why so many experienced brewers on here swear by Gladwrap and say it’s so much easier than using a lid and air lock.

I use Gladwrap sometimes but usually use the lid as it gets cleaned on the fermenter without any extra effort anyway. I also often use an air lock or sometimes a hard spile in the grommet hole and just throw them in and clean them in the fermentor.
The main reason I use glad wrap is that you can see very clearly what's going on. Pretty difficukt to see anything through a fermenter lid.

lukiferj said:
The main reason I use glad wrap is that you can see very clearly what's going on. Pretty difficukt to see anything through a fermenter lid.
You can also move the fermenter around without worrying about the liquid in the airlock dropping into the brew.

lukiferj said:
[SIZE=11pt]I just take the lid off if I really want to have a look.[/SIZE]

bradsbrew said:
You can also move the fermenter around without worrying about the liquid in the airlock dropping into the brew.
Fair enough, that’s why I usually use a hard spile.

lukiferj said:
Sounds like a recipe for an infection.
So I hear but I learnt to brew in open fermentors and only once had an infection.

I still open ferment sometimes.

S.E said:
So I hear but I learnt to brew in open fermentors and only once had an infection.

I still open ferment sometimes.
Fair enough. I wouldn't want to risk it but if it works for you, why not. :beerbang:

Old habits die hard. I forgot to use gladwrap when I brewed up my ginger beer on Wednesday.
Not totally sold on the advantages.

1) I clean the lids at the same time as the barrel
2) I very seldom want to look at the wort. If I do then I can peep through the airlock hole.
3) Never dry hopped once the brew is going
4) I LOVE the sound of the bubbling in the airlock.

Might still try it though, if I ever remember!

dibby33 said:
Old habits die hard. I forgot to use gladwrap when I brewed up my ginger beer on Wednesday.
Not totally sold on the advantages.

1) I clean the lids at the same time as the barrel
2) I very seldom want to look at the wort. If I do then I can peep through the airlock hole.
3) Never dry hopped once the brew is going
4) I LOVE the sound of the bubbling in the airlock.

Might still try it though, if I ever remember!
Agree. Probably the only advantage that I can see is that it takes up slightly less room without the airlock. Once I drop the yeast in, I don't look at it for three weeks when I transfer to my bottling bucket.

Hahaha I have always wanted to give this a ago and I might just for the next brew.

Cheers
Matt

dibby33 said:
Never dry hopped once the brew is going

wbosher said:
Once I drop the yeast in, I don't look at it for three weeks when I transfer to my bottling bucket.
Should give some dry hopping a go but wait til towards the end of fermentation, otherwise all that delicious aroma will be lost during the fermentation process.

Glad wrap will be a whole bunch easier than taking off a lid. Just gently lift one bit of gladwrap, drop the hops in, and pop the gladwrap and o-ring back on. Real simple.

I changed to glad wrap about a year ago, I'll never go back to lid and airlock, you can see what going on in the fermenter real good, makes dry hopping easy too.

Lids are good for o-rings, and that is all.

And maybe frisbees, although I am yet to prove this theory.

The rubber o ring stinks up the ferment vessel horribly. I will never use a lid for that reason.

I've got some spare lids you can have, not much glad wrap left....

My 60L fermenter wont fit in the fridge with an air lock so for double batches I'm always going the plastic sensation.
Airlocks appear to make the wife mad. When you already in the bad books for doing a saison in the kitchen (like it's meant to be) and she cant sleep.

I personalty find yeast farts soothing but glad wrap shuts her up, makes her happy. Well happier.

Just found another good reason to start using glad wrap
went to keg a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale yesterday and opened the fridge to find that after I dropped the fridge to 1 degree for cold crash earlier in the week my fermenter lid had sealed too well and about 250ml of sterilising solution had been sucked back up the blowoff tube into the brew :angry2:
Now feeding the worms

Latest posts

Back