I kinda stuffed up, anyone able to help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitchenBrews

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As you may or may not know, It is bloody hot here in adelaide. I tried to put down a brew today using 500ml boiled for my hops and another 2l or so hot water to mix my malt. The rest I used cold water up to maybe 20L when I saw I had a problem.

Then I chucked a few L in the freezer but I am now at the point where I have 22L in he wart and I am at 26c.

How do i fix this? I have a L to play with... I have a 1.25 in the freezer chilling.

How long can I leave my wort? It is sealed up like it would be if it was brewing.

ideally I would like to drop it 10c before I pitch yeast. Any ideas guys?

are you making an ale or a lager? 26c is fine to pitch the yeast at if its an ale, otherwise you could put the fermenter in the fridge for a few hours to lower the temp if your making a lager

yeah you can pitch us05 at 26c if you can get it down a few more deg then thats better but it will still be ok at 26c

I wouldn't pitch us05 at 26C personally. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours... just to drop the temp 3-4C.

yeah, it's all sealed like it would be if i was brewing right now. What I am going to do is cover it in a wet towel and put it under the split system air con with a pedestal fan blowing on it all night. then I will put the last litre of water in it thats been in the fridge all night.

Throw it in a bath full of cold water. Ice if its available. Will pull the temp down to a better temp for pitching. How do you plan to keep it at temp for fermentation anyways? Target about 20 degrees. I would be a bit happier at 18. But 20 will be better than 26.

my house in this weather is an ambient of 22c. I plan to have it under the aircon wrapped in a wet towel, which should get it to 20 at a minimum. Its the best I can do untill i get a second fridge.

Update: power went out in the middle of the night and it's still not back on... the gods are against me :) the wort temp was 22 when I pitched the yeast, that's about as good as I could hope for

That will be okay. Bear in mind fermentation generates heat so it will warm up regardless of ambient temp.

Latest posts

Back