I Just Returned From The Bottleshop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a crossed wire here. I didn't post the pic but as luck would have it I did buy a Rogue XS IIPA the other day. Fantastic beer. Massive, smooth bitterness giving way to huge but still intricate hopping then the bitterness coming back in to balance the warming alc (it is 9.5%). In my top 5 for sure (and my new favourite homebrew bottle!).

I'll be happy if my IPA comes out tasting like alcoholic hop water haha.

Sounds like a goal rather than a worst case scenario to me! Good luck with it.

Oh yes, totally crossed wire haha! Where did you get the IIPA? I was told the Purvis bottles were over a year old so I didn't bother from there.

Slowbeer in Hawthorn. The bloke there says they've only had them for a month or so but I'm certain I saw them there in November and I doubt shipments of the XS range come in terribly frequently. Having said that the beer was excellent, IMO, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a big AIPA - well, I might suggest it is not quite worth the asking price but is still an absolutely tops beer.

Oh yeah, in Purvis' defence I think the XS range is largely designed to be cellared so if it has been treated well a year old example might be better than fresh(?).

I've talked to Chris quite a bit, he seems like a really nice, honest guy. If he says they came in Nobember, I'd be happy to believe him. This does not bode well for my wallet however. I might be forced to buy one.

I'm assuming we're talking about the same bloke since I've only ever seen one guy in there. Very helpful and I didn't mean to disparage him nor Slowbeer. But as I say, I am certain I saw them there earlier than the month quoted - easy oversight to make, I'm sure. And again, the beer was great so if you can justify spending $38 on a longie (which takes some doing - that's how I know how long ago he had them!) then give it a crack. Life's too short and all that guff.

Yeah, it has to be him. No worries about the disparaging - didnt think you were.

I have seen them come and go. He seems to get shipments in pretty regularly and infact, I remember going in there in Nov to pick up some of his new rogue stock.

Latest posts

Back