I Am Ambivalent About Chilling Methods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or
ChilloutSessions8.jpg

or
ChillOutScooby-Doo-tf.org-free-2008.jpg

or
Obama-I-Got-This.jpg

I'm not really so much ambivalent about it as I am unequivocally meh.

I don't even no chill or chill - I just turn the heat off put a lid on and walk away.

I'm not really so much ambivalent about it as I am unequivocally meh.

I don't even no chill or chill - I just turn the heat off put a lid on and walk away.
And how long before you pitch? I've done a "kettle no-chill" llike this a few times myself, and my experience is that it takes at least 24 hours to get down to pitching temp. So I only do it when I'm on holidays and can leave the kettle for a while without worrying about it. Never do it on a Sunday when yuo've got to go to work the next day!

And how long before you pitch? I've done a "kettle no-chill" llike this a few times myself, and my experience is that it takes at least 24 hours to get down to pitching temp. So I only do it when I'm on holidays and can leave the kettle for a while without worrying about it. Never do it on a Sunday when yuo've got to go to work the next day!

Work?! What's that? :D

I "work" from home so it's convenient for my setup - and I do really small batches (15L) so if I flameout at 6pm it's realy to pitch between 12 and 3pm the next day, in summer; earlier in winter.

I have left it slightly over 24 hours once - but I was freakin out a bit. Beer was fine, but that might have come close.

Work?! What's that? :D

I "work" from home so it's convenient for my setup - and I do really small batches (15L) so if I flameout at 6pm it's realy to pitch between 12 and 3pm the next day, in summer; earlier in winter.

I have left it slightly over 24 hours once - but I was freakin out a bit. Beer was fine, but that might have come close.

hmm interesting, do you put the lid on your keggle 5 min before FO to kill any nasties ?

hmm interesting, do you put the lid on your keggle 5 min before FO to kill any nasties ?

Nope - the 15L of 100C liquid below the lid fries anything on the inside of the lid over the probably three hours it's above pasteurization temperatures that require only 5 minutes to kill all bacteria capable of spoiling beer.

Nope - the 15L of 100C liquid below the lid fries anything on the inside of the lid over the probably three hours it's above pasteurization temperatures that require only 5 minutes to kill all bacteria capable of spoiling beer.

so its FO and then lid on for 18 hours or so ?

Back