Hydrometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leyther

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good strong hydrometer, I'm only on my 2nd Brew and I've broken two of the glass ones already, they don't bounce well

Given my current strike rate I reckon I need buy in bulk or find one that's more robust, are there any plastic or steel ones available, I don't mind paying a bit more as i reckon will pay for itself in time

I have broken 4 hydrometers. After the third I bought a refrac but it is really only useful prior to pitching yeast. There are formulas to adjust but nothing beats a hydrometer. Just treat it right and it'll last longer. Always rinse, dry and put it away after use and don't throw out the little cushy padding.

The only thing I've seen better than a hydrometer is out of reach of most home brewers. A local brewery i was fortunate enough to help brew a big imperial ipa had a digital device that measures both specific gravity and mash ph. Was worth about 5k from memory

A new personal best for me. Bought a replacement hydrometer Friday and broke it before I even removed it from its packaging. I wonder if anyone makes plastic ones?

Killer Brew said:
A new personal best for me. Bought a replacement hydrometer Friday and broke it before I even removed it from its packaging. I wonder if anyone makes plastic ones?

I feel your pain, my last one was still in the packet when I dropped the packet, I thought would be ok till I opened and out came about 100 of those little stones, the packet doesnt even protect them!!!

Im off to buy 2 today as its a matter of when not if I will break the 3rd!!!

Coalminer said:
Some people here have no chance of a career as a babysitter :lol:
I've a 20YO and a 14YO they're a bit more robust :)

A plastic one with a square profile and a square test tube, to stop the bloody thing always facing away from me!

Big enough idea to start a business?

Never broke one, have a spare just in case, but never needed it... $8 well spent.

I've gone through 3 this year. I am what they call in the trade a "clumsy ****", which why during yesterday's hike in the Blue Mountains I stood well, well away from the edge of an unfenced cliff that plummeted down about 100m into a valley.

Matplat said:
A plastic one with a square profile and a square test tube, to stop the bloody thing always facing away from me!

Big enough idea to start a business?
There's a kick starter right there.

The coopers starter kits have a plastic hydro, i found they are a couple of points off though

pist said:
The coopers starter kits have a plastic hydro, i found they are a couple of points off though
The hydrometer is mainly used to measure the start and end of fermentation to have a guess at the percentage alcohol anyway

I found that I keep mine in a plastic pipe I purchased from the big B to reduce damage in storage helps

pcqypcqy said:
I've seen some discussion about Brewometers on the forum. Here's one thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/90432-brewometer/

I believe a few people here in Aus have got them shipped over and are fiddling around with them.

Might be fancy pants with all the bluetooth gear, but sounds like it's robust.

Its certainly interesting but very expensive, I wish those coopers plastic ones could be bought!!

Havent broke mine yet, but I broke the father in-law's on Sunday before helping him keg his second brew.

Guess what he is getting for Christmas.........

Latest posts

Back