Hydrometer Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullys brew

Reaction score
I have in the fermenter,a Coopers Bitter made with 600g Dex & 500g Coopers light dry Malt.. Both boiled in 1.25l water for 10 mins. Added water to 21 litres & pitched a rehydrated Safale US05.

Has been 2 weeks today ( I leave all my brews for 2 weeks)
The first reading( before pitching yeast ) was 1042.

I just took my first reading after 2 weeks & it is approx 1016...

Is this still too high?,as all of my other brews, (Using BE2) have finished at 1010 after 2 weeks & it's the first time ive boiled sugars & used Light dry malt & Dex.

I'll do a reading everyday till thurs to see if it moves as I was planning 2 bottle on Thurs, (provided that I get stable readings first!!!).

It just seems a bit high, I know ill probably get a higher reading with addition of LDM as it is only about 75% fermentable, but just thought Id see what I could find out!!!

:icon_cheers:

I have in the fermenter,a Coopers Bitter made with 600g Dex & 500g Coopers light dry Malt.. Both boiled in 1.25l water for 10 mins. Added water to 21 litres & pitched a rehydrated Safale US05.

Has been 2 weeks today ( I leave all my brews for 2 weeks)
The first reading( before pitching yeast ) was 1042.

I just took my first reading after 2 weeks & it is approx 1016...

Is this still too high?,as all of my other brews, (Using BE2) have finished at 1010 after 2 weeks & it's the first time ive boiled sugars & used Light dry malt & Dex.

I'll do a reading everyday till thurs to see if it moves as I was planning 2 bottle on Thurs, (provided that I get stable readings first!!!).

It just seems a bit high, I know ill probably get a higher reading with addition of LDM as it is only about 75% fermentable, but just thought Id see what I could find out!!!

:icon_cheers:

The can may also have some unfermentables in it being an Bitter? But wouldnt be too sure on that... If its a stable reading, it will be finished...

Agree with reviled. If its consitent over a 2 day period, its ready to bottle (or keg).
I have seen previous similar posts with some suggesting you can give it a bit of a stir up or shake - increase risk of infection if opening fermenter though...
Good luck with it.
Cheers.

LDM will ferment out fine, unless it's a mix with Maltose. I'd expect a lower reading. Trying rocking the fermentor and trying to get the yeast back into suspension. Could be that it's just a slow ferment. Shake it up and take another reading.

2 weeks you say...............If the hydrometer is steady over 24/48 hours....bottle it.

i bottled my Coopers Bitter last night.

It'd been sitting at 1020 for four days before i dry-hopped it to try to re-start the yeast. the after 3 days at 1018, i racked to secondary. then after another 2 days at 1018, i bottled.

i had opened it up and gave it a stir, but i won't be doing that again (concerned about this infection they all speak of . . .)

FYI it was a Coopers can + BE. 2. hops were cascade (20g).

smells good. tastes good from 2ndary. i'll just have to wait to see if i have any bottle-bombs . . .

mfdu.

As long as you're sanitary, opening up the fermentor to stir up the yeast doesn't pose a lot of issues.

As long as you're sanitary, opening up the fermentor to stir up the yeast doesn't pose a lot of issues.

I agree, you guys would flip if you saw some of the things my old man has gotten away with with to his brews. On one occasion he knocked an old nail brush and a soap dispenser into his wort while cooling it in the laundry sink! :icon_drunk:

I agree, you guys would flip if you saw some of the things my old man has gotten away with with to his brews. On one occasion he knocked an old nail brush and a soap dispenser into his wort while cooling it in the laundry sink! :icon_drunk:
HAHA - hilarious!

Toohey's secret is out :ph34r:

Sounds too high for me, I'm all for bottling if the hydro is steady, but only if it is at least in the ballpark. 1016 in this is less than 60% attenuation. I would have expected just 1010-1012 for this, and if steady at 1014 after 2 weeks, would bottle. But 1016 is stretching the friendship.

My advice would be to treat it like a stuck ferment. Rouse the yeast gently, raise the temp to 21C, rack it...If it still hasn't moved, then at least you've gone through the options, bottle it and keep aclose eye on it. (preferably with at least some in PET for easy checking.)

Give it a stir, be careful to remove the air lock before touching it, because you don't want stale water dragged back into it.

Also be careful of too much agitation, as it will froth-up and pour out if it is slightly carbonated. Just a good stir, not violent will get the yeast suspended.

Re-seal, then wait another day, or when bubbles stop, package your beer

Latest posts

Back