Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a novice brewer who pretty much only does K&K's. Nick you are correct that I don't know much about attenuation and don't have the knowledge that many have on this site.

BUT if something goes wrong with one of my brews and I need help, the OG will be one of the questions I will be asked by the experts who are helping me out.

I also like having a record of what I have done, so I can compare different brews and start to understand where I can make improvements, make better beer and enjoy drinking it. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Mark

I didn't ask a question.

Why do you care what the OG is for K&K? What do you need this number for?

No, you asked two questions.
:rolleyes:

I'm a novice brewer who pretty much only does K&K's. Nick you are correct that I don't know much about attenuation and don't have the knowledge that many have on this site.

BUT if something goes wrong with one of my brews and I need help, the OG will be one of the questions I will be asked by the experts who are helping me out.

I also like having a record of what I have done, so I can compare different brews and start to understand where I can make improvements, make better beer and enjoy drinking it. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Mark

Bravo.

This thread is funny!

As a K&K brewer I always took an OG, many different reasons as outlined by others but the main one was similar to what manticle said, it helped me create consistancy in my brews when using inconsistant tins of goo...amazing the variability in sg you get from what appear to be the same tins!

Just nobody raise my 9% case swap brew LOL

The beer doesn't taste sweet. And the gravity is constant.

Seriously - let's give the novice brewer an informative and seriously simple test of true FG.

What yeast are they using? What is the temperature? What brewing software are they using?

Read the OP's question again ... and then how everyone starts discussing temperature effects on OG.

I'm all for the intracacies of brewing - but blinding with science is bad.

I don't think you're a troll in the slightest but I disagree strongly with your position. Even the instructions for my first kit (written by Brigalow as far as I'm aware) taught me how to use a hydrometer. It ain't hard and suggesting its use is hardly blowing one's own trumpet or blinding with science. A lot of KK brewers also know far more than you obviously want to give them credit for. Of those who don't, many would like to.

It's a hydrometer reading - drop it in, spin it around and read the number. It's not as if anyone's suggested a triple decoction acid step-keeved mash with 1.2 minute hop additions and recirculated 8th runnings.

I do understand your point but I think it's a bit of a stretch and the benefits of using a hydrometer properly outweigh any difficulty a new brewer will have with the concept. They'll certainly find it far easier to use than brewing software.

I agree, why the hell wouldn't any brewer, novice or advanced, not take an OG ? Well at least if they wanted to know the ABV and/or get a bit more 'hands-on' and start calculating ferment efficiency/attenuation.

A suggestion to the contrary is, well, just plain stupid.

Manticle: drop it in, spin it around and read the number.

Oooh, spinning it around ! Now that's just showing off. :p

I tend to blow over mine after I tap off.

I agree, why the hell wouldn't any brewer, novice or advanced, not take an OG ? Well at least if they wanted to know the ABV and/or get a bit more 'hands-on' and start calculating ferment efficiency/attenuation.

I dont.
Cheers
Steve

"A suggestion to the contrary is, well, just plain stupid."
An adage comes to mind, "Perception is reality'. But can one allow that there are differing perceptions? Hence differing....

Or as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

;-)

does it make a difference which way you spin it? :p

Here's the thing: anyone putting sucrose into their beer is not going to know what to do with an OG reading. They are certainly not going to care about attenuation.

Possibly true - but do you think the clich kit brewer using 2kg of sugaz and fermenting in the sun is not going to want to know how to work out alc% of their rocket fuel? But even ignoring that you can't suggest that an OG reading is of no use at all to the novice brewer - all you can say is you doubt many want to know about it. Which also might be true but probably not true of most brewers who seek out a place like this.

Read the OP's question again ... and then how everyone starts discussing temperature effects on OG.

I agree that some of the discussion that followed his question might have gotten a little too complex for a novice brewer (in fact reading it it seems that some experienced brewers are also confused, but I digress) but that discussion was based in getting to the bottom of his problem - the fact no definitive answer came of it is irrelevant.

Cheers
Mark

I'd like to second Butters' "bravo". Well said, Mark!

I dont.
Cheers
Steve

Fair enough but would you ever suggest that someone shouldn't?

Fair enough but would you ever suggest that someone shouldn't?

Nope. I would say its entirely up to them. But if they want to work out their alc %'s, attenuation, efficiencies then they will have to use one. I wouldnt call them stupid if they choose not to use one.
Cheers
Steve

Do a standard K&K brew and take two OG readings after mixing the wort as much as you can. Take the first from the surface of the wort. Take the second from the tap.

Take these two again after a few minutes.

If you use the: boiling water into 1.5kg of malt extract and sugar method ... and add cold water, you need an electric stirrer to evenly mix the wort. Adequate mixing times are so long you start to expose the wort to foreign yeast.

OG readings are almost always high. All calculations are moot.

Flame away, experts.

So because they have a margin of error they are utterly worthless?

You realise this justification for your original point has nothing at all to do with you original point, right?

Cheers

Mark

http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html e.g. Appendix A "Using Hydrometers"

Typical! Don't tell us which way! Keeping the secrets of your black arts to yourself as per!

and the fact that the numbers spin fast too quickly to read :blink:

I wouldnt call them stupid if they choose not to use one.

Whoa, hold them thar 'orses. We should probably re-read the thread and understand the context in how the term 'stupid' has been utilised. Let's recap:

#37 - Nick JD: Why do you care what the OG is for K&K? What do you need this number for?

Then despite respondent discussions, a reiteration:

#43 - Nick JD: In K&K brewing, OGs are irrelevant.

To which Muckey posts an image of a cartoon guy with his head on fire and the caption "The Stupid, it Burns"

A few more responses to challenge Nick JD's comments, but regardless he trucks on, and shares this:

#53 - Nick JD: My suggestion is to worry about the final gravity readings, that the OG is useless to the kit brewer.

More to & fro, then that word pops up again from a handsome member:

#65 - Renegade: A suggestion to the contrary is, well, just plain stupid.

Neither Muckey nor myself called anyone stupid. However the argument certainly lends itself to the use of the word.

Despite there being a few people who don't measure OG (and honestly I myself do measure, but often forget to log it in my notes -_- ), it is a very big statement to say, on multiple occasions from the same author, that K & K guys are wasting their time by engaging in the process of measurement at the start of a brew cycle. Minor inaccuracies aside, isn't K & K the beginning point for an overwhelming majority of brewers who might now be making (potentially) award-winning AG beers ? It is inconceivable to suggest that K & K is such a crass method of beer production, therefore the practitioners of the method should stay so simple and not even attempt to hone their skills base for eventual betterment in what they produce.

What more effective way to bring oneself up to speed is there, if not for regular utilisation of aspects that will be part of the 'brewers arsenal' knowledge base down the track.

To extend upon another comment made, how can you sit there, Nick JD, and make such a blanket statement that suggests K & K brewers have no regard for attenuation ? It's a pretty bloody simple calculation, even without the use of software. And it's a great way to get to know how different ingredients perform.

Perhaps my intermediate method of brewing also falls under the 'why bother' umbrella, in using liquid malts, LDME, hopping from scratch and mini-mashing a pathetically pointless kilo of grain, both from the pack and home-roasted to my requirements (an inexact science, for sure). And maybe my reserving of yeast trub for future brews is also a lame old dumbass practice because I'm not using a whiz-bang stir plate to spring some life into cultured agar slants, and have no idea of accurately measuring the cell-count. In fact, maybe every method that people use to make good beer that is a variation from your own methods is simply a waste of time. Hell, anyone who's not into making beer outside of the Nick JD method is probably pissing in the wind.

There are no doubt a huge % of the homebrew population that are going to stay with the can & sugar method, but I would suggest that new K & K'ers who join up here, ask the simple questions, and get some support will stick around if they think their beer is pretty good for a first attempt (whether we think/know it's crap is irrelevant). And you know, they might just keep reading, get interested in using some LDME, then some extra hops, and before you know it they are intrigued enough to start pushing their beers even further into flavour country with grains beyond the 'enhancer packs'.

To ridicule the K & K'ers by suggesting they shouldn't bother with OG readings is stupid.

:unsure: ......... :blink: ............... :lol: ............awesome!!!!! ROFL. i'm not even going to read the start of the thread, just going to leave it here while i keep laughing :lol:

Whoa, hold them thar 'orses. We should probably re-read the thread and understand the context in how the term 'stupid' has been utilised.

While I agree in principle with your post, Steve was probably just answering it in the context in which the question was asked rather than the context of the entire thread. I think he also fairly pointed out why a brewer might want to take an OG even though he doesn't himself.

Why am I defending Steve? Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

Back