Husky's 2.5BBL Collaboration Brewery Build - 3V 300L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kettle is going electric just in case JB makes it to a brew day!
I'll make it to the brewday, it's just surviving that will be the challenge. What does this button do ...?
logosmall.png

Spent Australia Day commissioning the new brewery with a mate and the BIL who wanted to learn how to brew. Overall an awesome day!

RECIPE
Bairds Pale 80%
Wey Munich II 15%
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 5%

Fermenter 1
Cascade 15 IBU 20min whirlpool
Galaxy 15 IBU 20min whirlpool

Fermenter 2
Amarillo 15 IBU 20min whirlpool

OG 1.050
FG 1.010
US05
Mashed @ 66deg for 60
Mash out @ 78deg Fly sparged

Heated the HLT overnight using just one of the 2200W elements.
Mashed in and tried underletting but didn't work the best as I still got dough balls. Need to spread the outs around next time as this may have been the problem.
Tested a new wort return plate which worked really well so will make a slightly modified version that is easier to mount.
250L of super clear wort out. Whirlpool worked really well.
Cleaned up using pressure washer
Lauter took 90 mins so will open the restriction valve next time for faster run off
Boiled off 12.5L for a 5.3% boil off rate and used 4.5kg LPG at 25psi

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1525 (Large).JPG

IMG_1528 (Large).JPG
IMG_1544 (Large).JPG
IMG_1545 (Large).JPG
IMG_1560 (Large).JPG
IMG_1579 (Large).JPG
IMG_1580 (Large).JPG
IMG_1591 (Large).JPG
IMG_1594 (Large).JPG
IMG_1603 (Large).JPG

you realise showing them how to "brew" in this is like teaching to kid to "drive" on a super bike or F1 car right?
they will think it's normal...you monster.
nice traub cone by the way.

so do tell what needs to be tweaked, modded improved....

Spent Australia Day commissioning the new brewery with a mate and the BIL who wanted to learn how to brew. Overall an awesome day!

RECIPE
Bairds Pale 80%
Wey Munich II 15%
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 5%

Fermenter 1
Galaxy 15 IBU 20min whirlpool

Fermenter 2
Amarillo 15 IBU 20min whirlpool

OG 1.050
FG 1.010
US05
Mashed @ 66deg for 60
Mash out @ 78deg Fly sparged

Heated the HLT overnight using just one of the 2200W elements.
Mashed in and tried underletting but didn't work the best as I still got dough balls. Need to spread the outs around next time as this may have been the problem.
Tested a new wort return plate which worked really well so will make a slightly modified version that is easier to mount.
250L of super clear wort out. Whirlpool worked really well.
Cleaned up using pressure washer
Lauter took 90 mins so will open the restriction valve next time for faster run off
Boiled off 12.5L for a 5.3% boil off rate and used 4.5kg LPG at 25psi

View attachment 111427
View attachment 111418 View attachment 111419 View attachment 111420 View attachment 111421 View attachment 111422 View attachment 111423 View attachment 111424 View attachment 111425 View attachment 111426

Oooooooooo YEAAAAHHHHH!

Love your work mate :bowdown:.

you realise showing them how to "brew" in this is like teaching to kid to "drive" on a super bike or F1 car right?
they will think it's normal...you monster.
nice traub cone by the way.

so do tell what needs to be tweaked, modded improved....

They do know it's not normal. At the same time I was explaining how exactly the same brew could be done on a 1V that I will be loaning.
I was impressed with how the day went so nothing planned to tweak immediately. I will continue to add functionality to the HMI screen with more trends, timers, recipes etc to make brew day easier. Might look at making a bigger HEX to try ramping to mashout.
I still have some odd jobs to finish off such as proper mash return, electrical finish off, kettle heaters, hardpipe kettle pipework, add cooler etc so still plenty to keep me amused.
Mainly just need to keep brewing on it to work out it's limits.

So, ready to break it? ;)

Yep! we just need to lock in a date and we will give it our best. We shall discuss later in the week when talking gas HEX.

Overall the whole day barely took any longer to make 250L than my usual 20L. I do need to finish the new mill as it took 2 hrs the night before to mill 50kg on my old mill.

Are you loaning them THE 1V?

Also, do you have inline pH monitoring? One of the killer apps I saw on a rig in the States - pH monitor on the tun wort out.

Are you loaning them THE 1V?

Also, do you have inline pH monitoring? One of the killer apps I saw on a rig in the States - pH monitor on the tun wort out.

Na, not THE 1V. Still working on the program for that and it needs a 3 phase power point for someone else to be able to use it. Loaning a 150L gas fired 1V that I've never managed to use.
This brew I just measured the pH in the mash itself. I do have a fitting that I plan to adapt to be able to measure inline just after the sight glass. This will use the same pH meter but adapted to work inline. At the moment I'm more interested in trying to get inline OG readings though.

Back