Hunter Brewing Club

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grod5

Reaction score
Is there a brewing group based in the Hunter Valley? I live up the valley (not too far) and have been brewing for just over 1 year and feel like I am adrift at sea.

daniel

im from lake maquarie mate and have been brewing since last september just kits and have had very mixed results haha a club might be a good idea

I haven't heard of any in the Hunter, or even in the city-port of Newcastle.

I heard that one was being started soon, based on the ever-growing list of "mash" brewers who frequent my lhbs.

There was already talk of a planned excursion. but I may be getting ahead of myself.

The Exotic beer club is organising another "Fine Beer dinner" soon. Local breweries will be sponsoring, and you can count on an opera singer or fiddler or something like that as entertainment.

Seth :p

I heard that one was being started soon, based on the ever-growing list of "mash" brewers who frequent my lhbs.

There was already talk of a planned excursion. but I may be getting ahead of myself.

The Exotic beer club is organising another "Fine Beer dinner" soon. Local breweries will be sponsoring, and you can count on an opera singer or fiddler or something like that as entertainment.

There has always been a fair bit of enthusiasm for a get together - but everyone is too slack to organise something. In the past I have hosted brew days and would be happy to do it again. I also know a few 'in the industry' and could organise the planned 'excursion' but we just need to agree on dates.

I am not really a fan of the Exotc Beer dinner as neither the organiser or the beers they serve excite me much.

Lets get something happening !

Dave

There has always been a fair bit of enthusiasm for a get together - but everyone is too slack to organise something. In the past I have hosted brew days and would be happy to do it again. I also know a few 'in the industry' and could organise the planned 'excursion' but we just need to agree on dates.

I am not really a fan of the Exotc Beer dinner as neither the organiser or the beers they serve excite me much.

Lets get something happening !

Dave

HMMM Anytime after November 8th i guess

I wont have HSC anymore and will be 18

Im moving from tamworth back to the hunter ( i grew up in lochinvar) soon so will be very interested in brewing club activities.

Might even host a brew day/piss up one day when i get a house and get all moved in.

that might be next year though.

looking forward to meeting some new folks, making new friends and comparing brew guts :)

cheers

tony.

sounds like fun

If we start a club we could then look at buyin ingredients in bulk and saving just an idea

Goatherder, Branxton. I sometimes visit Michael in Singo for supplies or Mark in Islington or Kirk at Nelson Bay. They have given me good advice but most of just goes in one ear and.... you know. I thought for sure there would be a club in this area as brewing seems to be popular.

Tony, hurry up and move back and book me in for a seat on your brew day.

daniel

There is a brew club being formed through Mark's Home Brew in Isllngton - I know this 'cause I was supposed to organise it :eek: I've had quite a few brewdays at my place over the last couple of years, but haven't yet organised a formal club as such. I'm still available in the short term, but am moving North soon, so probably am not the best person to organise a local brewclub anymore.

Those interested should definitely contact Mark and Keith at Mark's Home Brew (02 49696696) to see if there are any immediate plans, and you should definitely try and take advantage of 'bigfidge's' planned 'excursion'. I have a fair idea of the plans and it'll be a winner - I hope to make it myself if it is organised before I leave. I should be able to organise another 'excursion' once I'm settled in after my move - I've already spoken to my 'contacts in the industry' :p just like bigfridge and it will be a top day/weekend once it happens, so watch this space :)

Good to see an upsurge in Hunter/Newcastle based brewers. Typical that I move just as things start to come together :lol:

Shawn.

Okely Dokely,

there has been some movement at the station.

The thinking is we will organise an excursion up the valley a little way.

The tentative plan is do something similar to our cousins from the south and their jaunt to Braidwood(?). A trip to Potters for a mash day, interrupted by an excursion further up the valley to eat and drink a little (more?), back to Potters and we drive away with a wort pack ready to brew for our troubles.

The time-frame:

It looks like sometime in the second half of September is when things will fly.

It will be at least two weeks from now before more details will be available. People need time to talk to people and find out when stuff will be available, blah, blah, blah.

But on the positive side - things are happening!

Cheers,

Keith
ps. Could a moderator move this thread to the club forum. Thanks.

just found this guys! Talk of a home brew club hHHmmm well theirs um and r's in this 1

ABOUT IT GETTING STARTED

just found this guys talk of 1 hHHmmm well theirs um and r's in this 1

jdsaint,

Not sure what language this post is in or what you are trying to say, but I have followed your posts around this website and I can see that you are keen for something.

But what is it you would like to see happen ?

If it is the range of brewing styles, tastes and faults that you seek then this really needs to be done in a tasting environment where you can 'see' what's in a glass and talk about it.

If different brewing processes and equipment interests you then a brewday is most enjoyable.

If it is discussion of products available at a shop then you are best served by talking to the guy that runs the shop. If your aim is to run the guy that owns the shop out of business by organising bulk buys behind his back then you have probably just destroyed the best way to achieve everything else that a 'club' can provide as you have just alienated the suppliers and shops that support the clubs.

If it is just to get together and get a skinfull then you need to find some drinking mates and a cheap grog, but I don't think that many of the brewers that I know would be interested.

So let us know what you want to do and there may be some suggestions comming forth on how to acheive it.

Dave

jdsaint,

Not sure what language this post is in or what you are trying to say, but I have followed your posts around this website and I can see that you are keen for something.

But what is it you would like to see happen ?

If it is the range of brewing styles, tastes and faults that you seek then this really needs to be done in a tasting environment where you can 'see' what's in a glass and talk about it.

If different brewing processes and equipment interests you then a brewday is most enjoyable.

If it is discussion of products available at a shop then you are best served by talking to the guy that runs the shop. If your aim is to run the guy that owns the shop out of business by organising bulk buys behind his back then you have probably just destroyed the best way to achieve everything else that a 'club' can provide as you have just alienated the suppliers and shops that support the clubs.

If it is just to get together and get a skinfull then you need to find some drinking mates and a cheap grog, but I don't think that many of the brewers that I know would be interested.

So let us know what you want to do and there may be some suggestions comming forth on how to acheive it.

Dave

I want to correct some problems I had before were brew would taste like beer but tangy.

what you are trying to say is am i after a free alcohol fix? NO! just cause I am young and live in Windale, besides it's me and my old man are lookin for some where to chit chat about everything brewing and in between to help us out in learning as I am sure you were not a professional brewer when you started, and would have loved to get any info you can.

Thing is I would rather look someone in the face then read a book to the fact that a person has been their and done that hence "brew club" for face to face info, demo's, and tip's.

Not tryin to cause any problems with no-one & the "Bulk Buys" I knew nothing about this until you have mentioned it! I thought a HBS would love for someone to come in and do a bulk buy?
Like I said the only other brewer I know is my old man <_< Anyway No hard feelings B)

Imagine that! Having to quote George Bernard Shaw... on a Craft Brewing Site. The irony. :blink:
"...youth is wasted on the young."

Just stirring. :p

JD: Some of us are not as militant in our brewing, but brew with humble passion. Each to his own.

BTW... Manly Sea Eagles! :D

BTW... Manly Sea Eagles! :D
[/quote]

Bite me! :lol: :D :p

I want to correct some problems I had before were brew would taste like beer but tangy.

what you are trying to say is am i after a free alcohol fix? NO! just cause I am young and live in Windale, besides it's me and my old man are lookin for some where to chit chat about everything brewing and in between to help us out in learning as I am sure you were not a professional brewer when you started, and would have loved to get any info you can.

Thing is I would rather look someone in the face then read a book to the fact that a person has been their and done that hence "brew club" for face to face info, demo's, and tip's.

Not tryin to cause any problems with no-one & the "Bulk Buys" I knew nothing about this until you have mentioned it! I thought a HBS would love for someone to come in and do a bulk buy?
Like I said the only other brewer I know is my old man <_< Anyway No hard feelings B)

jd,

Thanks for the reply - you have raised many good points.

The short answer is that there is no formal club in the hunter, but anyone is welcome to start one. Perhaps one of the local guys will suggest something and an 'event' will happen. I would offer except that my 'beer' time is pretty well spoken for this year.

For feedback on your beers you can always take a sample into Mark or talk to him about entering a competition.

There really is no substitute for a good brew shop.

Dave

jd,

Read my pm and get back to me.

Mr BigFridge, apart from having a big fridge, also has a lot of beer nous as well as comon sense.
His advice about the Hunter club is correct AFAIK. Lots of informal get-togethers with brewers entertaining and demonstrating to each other. Some brewing, some sampling and some learning and bonding. No real club, tho'.

It may be better to start a one to one brew thingo with a beer buddy and expand from there.

A Hunter brewer's get-together/picnic has been suggested for the future, but it has been in the pipeline for some time and still needs more work/encouragement.

Seth

apreciate the help guys , no hard feelins towards anyone cheers

Lets hope we can get a club going would be fun as a monthly thing and I am sure their will be more talk on this.

The short answer is that there is no formal club in the hunter

Dave

His advice about the Hunter club is correct AFAIK. No real club, tho'.
Seth

Strange.....There was a 'Hunter All-Grainers' listed as club entries in the Vic 'Beerfest' competition results??

Here under the results tab on the left(Pdf file). Admittedly there seems to be only one person....

Did he pay $6 an entry or $8 since theres no real club there, as above...We, in MALE, had to pay $8 ea ;) B)

Moving the Mash...again <_<

Back