How will mistakenly hopped beer turn out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madpierre06

Reaction score
Ummm...what is likely to be the result for an American Wheat with the hop schedule for a ESB? The lesson is not to multi task, I had two recipes open, the aforementioned wheat and a ESB, and had been moving twixt the two in brewing and planning. Turns out I've dropped the hop schedule for the ESB.....

Challenger @ FWH,
CHallenger @ 60mins
EKG @ 15 mins

........into the Wheat beer by mistake. What is the outcome likely to be?

What yeast? If it's US05 or similar you've just created the category British Wheat?

I did something similar on the weekend. Made a double batch of a base wheat hopped to 5 ibu. One was for a sour and the other was going to some galaxy in the cube and become an American wheat or summer ale. But I had a moment of stupidity and put the cube hops into the boil kettle at flame out!

paulyman said:
What yeast? If it's US05 or similar you've just created the category British Wheat?

I did something similar on the weekend. Made a double batch of a base wheat hopped to 5 ibu. One was for a sour and the other was going to some galaxy in the cube and become an American wheat or summer ale. But I had a moment of stupidity and put the cube hops into the boil kettle at flame out!

Just using Wyeast 1010, American Wheat. Maybe we can call it a Transatlantic Wheat. Wheat recipe was supposed to be 20 IBU, hop schedule as per actual is heading to 51 IBU.

I'd be worried that it wouldn't have the malt profile to carry the IBUs. You could make a mini-wort with some crystal and add it to primary.

Or ferment a second batch and blend. I would be thinking of making the overall wheat % around 25%.

Or just see how it goes. Could be a cracker.

sponge said:
Ahh, very witty wheaty.
Not really, the bun is the lowest form of wheat.

I reckon it will go well. When I moved house recently, to save packing space I poured three part-sacks into a bin, about equal parts of Weyermann Pilsener, BB Wheat and Maris Otter.
Talk about a mongrel, but it's making a fabulous UK 5% mild, smooth as.

O/T...... Bribie.......Just how bloody far from Bribie are you now ?????

G.

it'll be fine, I assume your wheat was a 50/50 type grist ?

Just go with it. I'd have the notion it will be a cracker! but I have done this kinda thing before I got software to predict everything.
Worst case scenario is that high IBU beer gives me a ravenous hunger. Then I eat more and this lead to carrying a thicker waist. :)

Hehe...bloody funny.

Grist was 55/40/5 Pale/wheat/munich I

A quick sup at OG wasn't too bad, a little weird, so I'm thinking I'll ride it out and see how she goes (not that I have a real choice). I don't have the other graisn to do any additions, and nothing on hand to make another batch and blend.

growler said:
O/T...... Bribie.......Just how bloody far from Bribie are you now ?????

G.
A lot closer than I was at Old Bar NSW, we moved North again to Kyogle to be nearer to my boys and SWMBO's family as well.
OT but when I moved to Old Bar I wanted to change my username to Old Barfly but it was declined, so Bribie I shall remain. I've also picked it up as a nickname around brewing clubs, which is a pity because I wanted "Shagga" but that was also declined. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Bribie G said:
and SWMBO's family as well
But for most people, that doesn't mean She Who Mercilessly Beats Others. :beerbang:

madpierre06 said:
Hehe...bloody funny.

Grist was 55/40/5 Pale/wheat/munich I

A quick sup at OG wasn't too bad, a little weird, so I'm thinking I'll ride it out and see how she goes (not that I have a real choice). I don't have the other graisn to do any additions, and nothing on hand to make another batch and blend.
if the yeast is anything neutral like us-05s and 001s and 1056s are, then i reckon it'll be a cracker mate. keep us updated :)

fletcher said:
if the yeast is anything neutral like us-05s and 001s and 1056s are, then i reckon it'll be a cracker mate. keep us updated :)
Will do mate, used Wy1010. Really keen to see how this comes up, will be about 4 weeks to bottling though. So early/mid january it is.

Stock up on limes and old corona bottles and feed it to the crew if you don't fancy it

Chances are that it will be one of those gems you can never quite repeat! .....or not.....

To be honest, I'd be more concerned with the wheat beer hop schedule that presumably ended up in the ESB.

Blind Dog said:
To be honest, I'd be more concerned with the wheat beer hop schedule that presumably ended up in the ESB.
Hehe...thankfully that hasn't happened, ESB is going doon today. It's yours from a previous beer lotto, really looking forward to it from Judanero's ffeedback.

Not quite the mix up you've made, but last week I brewed a single hop batch with Helga to try it out. Once I'd cubed it, I put aside the remaining 20 grams to dry hop it after the main ferment was complete. The same day I was due to dry hop a batch of my Pride Of The Galaxy ale with some Galaxy. I grabbed the unmarked container thinking it was the Galaxy, but turns out it was the Helga. I kegged it on the weekend and the Galaxy/Helga aroma combo was incredible. Only problem is now I have no more Helga to dry hop the Helga batch with.

Latest posts

Back