How will mistakenly hopped beer turn out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mosto said:
Not quite the mix up you've made, but last week I brewed a single hop batch with Helga to try it out. Once I'd cubed it, I put aside the remaining 20 grams to dry hop it after the main ferment was complete. The same day I was due to dry hop a batch of my Pride Of The Galaxy ale with some Galaxy. I grabbed the unmarked container thinking it was the Galaxy, but turns out it was the Helga. I kegged it on the weekend and the Galaxy/Helga aroma combo was incredible. Only problem is now I have no more Helga to dry hop the Helga batch with.
Well the only thing to do is send helga into the galaxy!

Interesting. I oculdn't help myself and tried it out 4 days post-bottle. It was certainly quite drinkable, body taste-wise as I would expect from a wheatie and a reasonable level of bitterness (calculated to 49 IBU) coming through but not overiding the wheat. Going to wait a couple more weeks now to try again, and keen to find a brissie taster with the expertise to give more technical feedback at some stage as well.

Back