How warm can my bottled beer get this spring/summer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

What's the warmest I should let my bottled beer get to in this heat ? What does heat do to the flavour and can they blow up ?

Cheers

Heat accelerates chemical reactions.
The staling/oxidation reactions that can make beer taste all manner of funny start as far back as malting and many are irreversible. Various things like splashing finished beer can accelerate these too but the cooler the beer is kept, the longer its potential shelf life.

Explosions can occur but most likely because another problem is inherent(most likely unfinished or over primed). Properly made and packaged should see nil explosions

Make and package properly, store cool and dark to give it the best chance.

Yeah, go to any practical or impracticable lengths to keep them cool.
Dogfish Head brewery recommends storing at around 12 deg for best results. Degradation will be heavily dependent on style and ABV also.
Personally I noticed any hop forward beer that I've split between kegs and bottles, the constantly chilled kegged beer keeps its goodness (particularly its hoppy goodness) long after the bottled room temp stuff starts to fade.

Check the bargain bin at your local Dans for some fine examples of miss handled beer. Should see you e baying for a beer specific fridge quick smart.

Good example of mishandled beer was a MOA 5 hop i picked out of the bargain bin at dms, the second i untwisted the cork holder she went bang, ive never seen a more overcarbed beer in my life.

Latest posts

Back