How To:- Glycol System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Need help to set up a flooded Glycol system.
Have a 3 tap font, on top of my converted chest freezer.
It has the Glycol tubes fitted, so I presume that all I need to do is install a container full of glycol, a small "pond style" pump, and some plumbing, is this all (sounds to easy) :blink: , or am I missing some of the finer details.

Normell

You don't even need to get glycol you could use a salt water solution and it will do the job just fine and be a hell of a lot cheaper, just make sure that the pond pump you buy has a head height taller than the distance from the pump to the top of the font, otherwise the pump will be working to hard and burn itself out quickly.

I have a 80mm PVC pipe with an end cap on it filled with salt water with a 320LPH pump connected to it, the font gets plenty cold enough. When the salt water is placed in another freezer at -6 the font will ice up over a few hours, but I'm happy with it just sweating @ 2 degrees.

Would salt water not corrode the inside of the pump a hell of alot quicker ?

munga can you please post a few photos of how you set it up :) pretty please :p
I have the pump ,pipes etc but balking at doing it.

Having kept marine fish and fresh water fish the pumps ive used are made of plastic and stainless steel shaft etc.The impeller is sealed so there is very little fear of corrosion.

Cheers
Big D

Bump: Any photos of how you guys setup your Glycol system :) :) or a web site showing ways to do it,<_<. I have found zip.

Just took some photos then, hope it helps.. if you need more I can always take some :)

I have taken two photos of the font, one before the pump was switched on - the other 1 minute after switching it on, just to show you how quick it gets cold.

glycol_setup.jpg

font_warm.jpg

font_cold.jpg

Thanks munga :) love the note at the bottom of the freezer saying the case of Red swill is not yours :D
I now know what I will do, thanks.

Glad it helped, I started off with a bucket of water and it took up to much room in the freezer, the PVC pipe has saved a lot of room seeing they fit in the gap that the 50L keg leaves in the corner of the freezer.

If your going with the PVC option make sure they hold water, had the drip tray run-off pipe burst it's seal and it left a nice mess inside the freezer.

The pump im sure will be fine with the salt water, its the expensive bit i would be worried about (the font), for the couple of bucks extra, i would be using glycol and a corrosion inhibiter

Dave

Question, I have a Glycol system that was working well with a 500lph pond pump, it is now installed with fridge running at 5 degrees(ideal serving temp for me) and there is no freezer in the fridge. I can get the font very cold to touch but it won't sweat. How can i get the Glycol or (salt water) say 1 or 2 degrees colder with out turning the fridge down?
Cheers 15BL :beer:

You can't get the glycol any colder than the temperature of the fridge, if you want the glycol colder you'll need to set the temperature lower..

muga said:
Glad it helped,

If your going with the PVC option make sure they hold water, had the drip tray run-off pipe burst it's seal and it left a nice mess inside the freezer.

The pond pump works great :) set on a timer from one hour before beer-a-clock 4pm to bar closed 10pm, unless there is a big session planned, will post a photo soon [not of a session too scary], also had a mess in the freezer :( a beer line leaked :angry: never had that before,caught it early, pulled out the four kegs and clean and replace them.
The wife said "your obsessed!". I said "so what's the problem" <_< .

OK my converted chest freezer runs between 0.5*C - 1.5*C, will this be cold enough to run a glycol (or salt water) system to chill my font.
If I buy a pond pump
http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/produ...3&cID=10&c=7342
will it work if put into freezer at above temps. or will it have to be fitted outside the freezer :blink:

Normell

normell said:
OK my converted chest freezer runs between 0.5*C - 1.5*C, will this be cold enough to run a glycol (or salt water) system to chill my font.
If I buy a pond pump
will it work if put into freezer at above temps. or will it have to be fitted outside the freezer :blink:

Normell
[post="118743"][/post]​

Mine works fine in the freezer at 3c for 5 hours a day [only 2 days so far] I am glad it is in my freezer it would be noisy outside of it. Chills the font very quick.

Freezer_3.jpg

bindi said:
normell said:
If I buy a pond pump

Normell
[post="118743"][/post]​

Mine works fine in the freezer at 3c for 5 hours a day [only 2 days so far] I am glad it is in my freezer it would be noisy outside of it. Chills the font very quick.
[post="118755"][/post]​

What's with the GREEN SLIME in the tubes Bob, looks like something out of a sci-fi movie :D :D

I recon it may be antifreeze for a cars radiator? Thinking of using that same idea when I convert my freezer

I use a weak anti freeze solution for my font. I bought the pump from bunnings about $23 and a litre container for it to fit in.
I turn it on manually when having a beer it cools quickly and sweats within a minute or so.
Works very well..

regards old dog

Great thread folks, my tap on the fridge door is looking decidedly down market!

Pants are out to...................here!!

TL

Just rang Andale (Vic) re food grade Glycol, minimum 20Lt @ $6.99/Lt = $139.80.
Mix 70% water to 30% glycol.
So for a 5Lt container in my freezer I would only need 1.5 -2.0Lts.
So anybody got any ideas on where to buy some glycol in smaller amounts, or do I just go with the radiator stuff :blink:

Normell

Latest posts

Back