How To:- Glycol System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. Food grade glycol - that's an interesting concept! I don't think I'd be allowing glycol tocome into contact with any food I was eating in a hurry.

I'd say stick to the radiator stuff, and make sure you have a closed system (i.e. it's not going to be drunk as green cordial by mistake!)

That's certainly my approach.

Andy

There are two types of glycol, the one that goes in your car can harm and the other one won't.. it probably won't taste good either way but before heading out to the closest auto shop and getting some radiator coolant to put in your font.

It is not hard for a beer line to come loose inside the font and expose the coolant to the stuff your drinking.. you might get a bit more than a hangover the next day, if you see the next day that is..

It shouldn't make any difference whether it is food grade or not as the Ethanol Glycol doesn't touch the food...hopefully. It would sweeten it up but make you awefully sick!!!

Radiator cooling system glycol, off the shelf at "Auto Cheap", is good enough. Check out the label on the container.

In Australia in auto motors we normally use 30-33% premixed which will give anti-freeze to about -18 degc as well as the added benefit of corrosion inhibition. My 30 year old immaculate Peugeot 504 has been using it since new. It still has the same physical engine and radiator with no corrosion.

Good to see the HQB-2500 pumps are doing the job. http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/produ...?pID=283&cID=10

Cheers
Phil :beer:

At the risk of being bagged for going off-thread, a word of caution for man's best friend (no, not that, I'm talking about your dog!).
Avoid Ethanol based glycol if you can and go the Propylene-based stuff instead. Why? Dogs have a sweet tooth and will lap up Ethanol glycol spills in a flash. And it will kill them. Rapidly. The stats on dogs killed in the U.S. alone from spilt radiator fluid is apalling (30,000 muts a year get dispatched this way). And it will do serious damage to rugrats too. Go the propylene base instead.

And don't feed your dog anything that says "pet food only" on it (but that's another story - though it probably wont do rugrats too much harm).

Cheers!

Lets go further off topic. Dont let your best friend get at spent hops from the kettle either. Its been discussed before, but its probably time to mention again, that to some breeds of dog, hops are highly toxic. Sends their systems into meltdown, they overheat and die. I dispose of the residue from my kettle in a fenced area of the garden and recommend that you do the same if you have dogs.

Im not sure if I missed the point but isnt glycol used because it doesnt freeze below 0C :huh: If you are using it at 2C then would it just be safer to use water.

normell said:
So anybody got any ideas on where to buy some glycol in smaller amounts, or do I just go with the radiator stuff :blink:
[post="118835"][/post]​

Check out a refrigeration parts supplier like Actrol, Airefrig or Heatcraft (Lovelocks or Kirby's) they normally do it in 4l containers. It might be slightly more per L but cheaper than buying 20L

Jye said:
Im not sure if I missed the point but isnt glycol used because it doesnt freeze below 0C :huh: If you are using it at 2C then would it just be safer to use water.
[post="118981"][/post]​
Yep, I use a salt water mix because sometimes on very cold days regular water started to ice up..

Hi chaps to source glycol ask at your local pub for the name of the fridgo that looks after the beer lines,I have always found pub fridgo's to be interested in home brew "Fridgerations" and I get my Glycol this way for 6-7 dollars a litre.
I mix it 1 to 4 and have it in a tank in the freezer part of my beer fridge.

FONTARELLA_005.jpg

Andrew said:
At the risk of being bagged for going off-thread, a word of caution for man's best friend (no, not that, I'm talking about your dog!).
Avoid Ethanol based glycol if you can and go the Propylene-based stuff instead. Why? Dogs have a sweet tooth and will lap up Ethanol glycol spills in a flash. And it will kill them. Rapidly. The stats on dogs killed in the U.S. alone from spilt radiator fluid is apalling (30,000 muts a year get dispatched this way). And it will do serious damage to rugrats too. Go the propylene base instead.

And don't feed your dog anything that says "pet food only" on it (but that's another story - though it probably wont do rugrats too much harm).

Cheers!
[post="118976"][/post]​

Jye said:
[post="118981"][/post]​

STEVENALI said:
Hi chaps to source glycol ask at your local pub for the name of the fridgo that looks after the beer lines,I have always found pub fridgo's to be interested in home brew "Fridgerations" and I get my Glycol this way for 6-7 dollars a litre.
I mix it 1 to 4 and have it in a tank in the freezer part of my beer fridge.
[post="119024"][/post]​

OK :( the glycol that was in my font is now in my car and tried really hard not to spill any so my dog [boxer] would touch it and I know a "fridgie" strange people they are...Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

So guys that are using the HQB-2500 pumps, are you submersing them, or using as a free standing pump. :huh:

Normell

normell said:
So guys that are using the HQB-2500 pumps, are you submersing them, or using as a free standing pump. :huh:

Normell
[post="119180"][/post]​

Submerged

normell said:

Normell
[post="119180"][/post]​

Submerged, here is a photo in gycol which I removed , now in water only.

Freezer_3.jpg

In reference to post#11 where fridge is set to 5 degrees and font wont sweat the problem is now solved. Firstly i did a test outside the fridge with two buckets of water over two days.Bucket #1 contained water only, bucket #2 contained water and a fountain pump, after the test bucket #2 was 4to5 degrees warmer than bucket#1. Knowing also that the font warms up the water i decided to fix the problem. Firstly i sat down and had a couple (or more) BEERS and thought about it. OK, to start with i got rid of the 4 litre reservoir of water and went to a 25 lire square drum, fitted an EXTERNAL inline pump. All FIXED and font is sweating,VERY VERY HAPPY.
Jye, to make you happy i'm using PLAIN water.
Cheers Guys :beer:

Back