How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best of luck, I'm sure the gelatine will do the trick. Nothing wrong with adding some Polyclar even to UK ales as they do look good when nice and clear. In my previous post I said:

With a 'true' lager I wouldn't bother with gelatine at all, that's why you are lagering for a month to drop all the remaining yeast and shyte out of the beer anyway. However I would add Polyclar a few days before bottling or kegging to remove any chill haze (polyphenols) in the beer.

However since I have started using the Swiss Lager yeast S-189 I can crank out a lager from pitch to pour in 4 weeks and I have also started to use gelatine. I do what you do and rack into a cube onto some gelatine solution - I actually did my latest one about an hour ago - then into CC for 10 days, adding polyclar on day 8. Having excellent clarity.

Best of luck, I'm sure the gelatine will do the trick. Nothing wrong with adding some Polyclar even to UK ales as they do look good when nice and clear. In my previous post I said:

However since I have started using the Swiss Lager yeast S-189 I can crank out a lager from pitch to pour in 4 weeks and I have also started to use gelatine. I do what you do and rack into a cube onto some gelatine solution - I actually did my latest one about an hour ago - then into CC for 10 days, adding polyclar on day 8. Having excellent clarity.

What quantities of both polyclar & gelatine do you use Bribie?

Cheers

Paul

What quantities of both polyclar & gelatine do you use Bribie?

Cheers

Paul

Heaped teaspoon of gelatine and two heaped teaspoons of Polyclar. I stir the Polyclar for 15 minutes by swirling in a jar with about 200 ml water. Bloody PITA, I should get that stir plate built :lol:

Chadjaja, what yeast are you using? Is it Wyeast 1275, Thames Valley?

Bribie, there's still a few spots left in the stirplate bulk buy.

nah its 1028 London ale.

And a stir plate isn't so hard to make, most of us have the stuff sitting around the house. I built mine for $10 and it stirs all sizes of starters.

Yup got a stirplate sitting round the house

stirplate__Medium_.jpg

BribieG runs for cover with large ball protector round family jewels

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The only way to go IMHO. But I tend to use 1 teaspoon in about 100ml of warm water.

First time I have bothered using Gelatine, after discussion with Dr S. I just went with BYB's method for the Kolsch in secondary.

Its tasty outta the primary, looking forward to enjoying a pint or three of this beer. :icon_cheers:

Following what UK brewers do I have been using beer instead of water with gelatine for near enough to 12 months. No diff, works well, what I like is that I'm not adding water to the beer. Just drain off 100ml to get rid on the yeast in the tap, then slowly drain off the beer into a pyrex jug. Add the gelatine and leave for 5 min to hydrate then mix and into the microwave for 10 min at 20% power for 10 min. Add to keg then rack the beer to the keg.

Screwy

Good call Screwy, as it happens I just gelatined about half an hour ago while I put a brew into cold conditioning and actually thought "well this has diluted the brew just a tad, and when I Polyclar in a few days time that's going to dilute it a tad more"

I'll do the beer thing next time. I wonder if that would work with the Polyclar as well?

Thanks for the tip. :)

Good call Screwy, as it happens I just gelatined about half an hour ago while I put a brew into cold conditioning and actually thought "well this has diluted the brew just a tad, and when I Polyclar in a few days time that's going to dilute it a tad more"

I'll do the beer thing next time. I wonder if that would work with the Polyclar as well?

Thanks for the tip. :)

LATB...........it depends. If you put it on the stirplate for an hour you might be adding oxidised beer to your keg.

Cheers,

Screwy

.....As opposed to oxidised water, it would do the same thing would it not?

When you say microwave @ 20% power, would this be equal to the 'defrost' setting, or 'low', as it is on mine?

When you say microwave @ 20% power, would this be equal to the 'defrost' setting, or 'low', as it is on mine?

From memory, (been a while since I've used polyclar) water used with polyclar is cool! Info abounds re oxygen retention in hot liquid (search).

Test your microwave, after say 5 min at defrost/low check the temp of the liquid, above 80C is what you want for pasteurisation, but not to the point of boiling over. Adjust power setting on yours to suit. Our old M'wave required power setting 1, current one requires 20% power.

Hope this helps.

Screwy

gelatine works well but what works better, and is this:
get your still beer really cold in the keg
add your gelatine
pump the pressure up to MAX
hold for 12 - 18 hours , too short it will not work, too long it may overcarbonate the beer.
slowly bleed the pressure (you need a regulator, just popping the PRV leads to tears before bedtime)
carbonate as usual (unless usual is the keg shake rattle 'n roll method)
the huge pressure along with the binding action of the gelatine forces the crud to the bottom..voila, clear beer quickly without filtering.

K

So, we are talking (hydrogen) peroxide here?

K

Polyclar and isinglass.... AAAARRRGGGHHH.

I think I need lessons in this stuff..

After some annoyance from never getting clear beer, and re-reading some threads here and some general Googling, this time I went a bit overboard..

Today I bottled an AG that was brewed a month ago. 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary (all at 17 degrees) before crash chill to 1 degree for a week.
Then 15 ml of Isinglass rather than the 10 that is suggested on the bottle stirred in 2.5 dl of beer from the cube and shook the cube quite a bit.
Then 15 gr of Polyclar (not 5-10 as suggested on the bag) hydrated in boiled, slightly cooled water for 1 hour (just shook it, small bottle with little headspace), then added this one day later than the isinglass and stirred quite a bit with a sanitized spoon.

Today I bottled murky beer (again..).

There is yeast sediment in the cube, so something has fallen out, but clearly not enough. The beer is NOT like in BribieG's Regal Coke bottle, that's for sure..

What am I doing wrong here...?

Bjorn

The last time I used fish guts my beer was super clear. I just left it in the primary for a couple days or so then bottled my beer.

I'm using the fish guts for the second time to see what happens so fingers crossed my APA doesn't have excess yeast sediment.

the huge pressure along with the binding action of the gelatine forces the crud to the bottom..voila, clear beer quickly without filtering.

That's interesting that you say that. I've always thought that I got clearer beer if I gelatined at the same time that I force carbonated. I always assumed that it was because the action of bubbling gas in through the beer-out post gave the beer and gelatine a really good mix. Your explanation sounds better.

The only time I gelatined was way back in K&K days. I added the gelatine to a cold keg and it turned into little globules, these plugged up my pick up tube :angry: Do you guys allow your beer to warm up before adding ?

I must say that Tidalpete does gelatine, I don't know of his procedure but I'm impressed by the clarity of his beers.

Batz

Do you guys allow your beer to warm up before adding ?

I do not, I put gelatine in hot/verywarm into a keg of beer at 1c. Leave for 2-3 days and its crystal, it does not glob up but forms a kind of layer at the bottom of the keg. THe first few beers normally blow that clear or I then rack to a clean serving keg.

I just crash chill primary to 1* for 2 days transf to secondry add 1 tbl spoon gel to 150ml warm 65* water stir 5min add to secnd ferm keep at 1* 2 more days rack into keg,force carb & drink,never had a cloudy beer yet

Latest posts

Back