How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had people say that Nottingham for example stripped out their hop additions. The question is where did they get stripped to? If the yeast itself had 'absorbed' the essential oils then if any yeast cells remained in suspension the beer would presumably taste a bit different to a totally clear version after priming ?

Much like how a CPA tastes different poured clear to a roused one. As does a hefeweizen too! Its a known fact that yeast harbours flavours in our beer, wether we choose to filter tham or not is our choice. Following some styles we may infact be damaging them by our approach to clearing them...... But who would gelatine a wit :blink:

Either way as i always say, if it feels good, do it.

Hi just reading the thread and I will be a first time user.SJW whats the reason for not using it in wheat beers?Thats what I have in secondary at the moment and was going to try using finnings.

Andrew

Hi just reading the thread and I will be a first time user.SJW whats the reason for not using it in wheat beers?Thats what I have in secondary at the moment and was going to try using finnings.
Andrew

Is it a belgian wit? If so, its meant to be a cloudy beer (starch haze from unmalted wheat). Clearing this would be like trying to strip your hop additions from a IIPA to deliberatly make it as hopped as an English Mild. :blink:

If its a GERMAN Wheat ( hefeweizen, dunkelweizen etc.) You can filter it and turn it into a Krystall Weizen if you are not interested in the flavour profile the yeast gives in a traditional 'Weizen Mit Hefe' (with yeast).

Yup. I got a coles myer voucher for Xmas and bought four Kristall weizens from 1st choice in tallie bottles. The most boring German beers I have ever tasted - reminded me of Tasman Bitter :unsure: and in fact I sent the last one to my two boys' stepfather when they went back home there after the weekend. He's from Hamburg and was over the moon. :icon_cheers:

Andrew

Yeast in suspension is where most of the flavour comes from in a wheat beer. Dont get rid of it. Theres nothing better than a nice cloudy Hefe made with a fresh 3068. mmmmmmmmmmmmm :wub: :wub:

Steve

The only Krystall i have enjoyed and been over the moon about has been the Weihenstephan Krystall. Probably because it is very Pils driven. Strong grainy pils aroma. I'd still always pick a Hefe over a Krystall... Mmm Schneider Weisse Original :icon_drool2:

Yes it is a german wheat beer with 3068 yeast so I'll leave it and I also have a raspberry wheat with a US-05 yeast in the secondary fermenter, I will also leave this one.

Thanks guys

The raspberry you can clear with gelatine (which i did with mine) as yeast flavour is not going to add anything special from a US05 in a raspberry wheat beer. If anything, it will inhibit the flavour profile given by the raspberries.

So I ferment my ales at 20c.After fermentation has finished should I reduce the temp and add the geletine for a few days and then bring up to room temp to bottle?

Andrew

Keep the beer at cold temps when bottling. no need to warm up and it will probably force CO2 out of solution and cause the trub to start flying around in the beer. Thus, putting back all of the stuff you wanted out of your beer in the 1st place.

Hey guys,
Another noob question for you...
Once my brews are finished fermenting, I am planning to go straight from the primary fermenter (after crashing) to conditioning and carbing in primed kegs.
If I do it this way would it be beneficial or harmful to use gelatin in the primary and then also in the keg?
I don't mind the first glass being cloudy as long as I don't waste too much more than that... :D
Cheers,
Joel

Well im about ready to venture down the unventured path. The deep dark unknown. AGAR-AGAR!

Ive got an amber ale sitting quietly in the fermenter waiting to be transferred to the keg. Ive done a fair whack of reading and the consensus for switching and swapping gelatine for agar is approx 1:5 agar:gelatine so thats the path im taking (from wine publications on the interwebs anyway) so i will be adding approx 1/4 teaspoon to the keg.

The only thing im worried about is how quickly it sets. I might have a play with working up a solution and dumping it into crash chilled temp (0-5deg) water compared to warm and then chilled water and observe the gelling (if there is any). My only concern is it may gel up as soon as it hits the keg and render the fining ability useless.

I will update with before and after pics as well.

Well, no pics as it wouldnt pickup the agar floating in ti, i think i twas poor night lighting.

anyway, i kegged the amber ale last night, slight haze but nothing of a concern, almost doesnt even need fining in the keg. As for prepping the agar, it takes allot of time compared to gelatine to go clear. i still ended up with some particles after 15 mins of pasturisation @ 75 deg.

I setup 2 Vodka shot glasses (the long 60ml ones) one with tap water, the other with 6 deg water and tipped around 10 ml of agar solution into each.

24deg tap water showed the agar eventually settle as a white mass at the bottom of the glass after around 5 mins
6deg water showed the agar immediatly start to set and stay suspended in the glass.

I placed both into the freezer to try and crash chill them further, pulled them both out around 10 mins later. the tap water had seemed to set the agar on the bottom and the 6 degree water still had the agar in suspension.

What were my findings? NFI! I dont knwo what would be the best outcome, the agar suspended in the liquid for a longer time, or sitting on the bottom of the keg, glueing up all of the yeast?!?

Will post up a pic of the beer after 2 weeks in the keg.

Looking forward to some pics. I'll grab a packet of the agar threads in Chinatown tomorrow. I'm interested in trying it to see if it gives firm bottoms in the bottles as opposed to gelatine's "fluffy" bottoms.

What form did your agar come in, sheets or powder or threads?

I am now officially a gelatin convert. I've never had especially clear beers, and it's never bothered me.

But I've recently decided to make an effort with the appearance, and it had done wonders! For the 2 minutes it takes to boil the kettle and do the old dump and stir, the results are well worth it.

Are members getting good results with gelatine without chilling their fermenters ? I don't have the facilities to refrigerate my barrels.

Are members getting good results with gelatine without chilling their fermenters ? I don't have the facilities to refrigerate my barrels.

yes, I'm not chilling and done a few Gelatine runs and its worked fine.

I have done in the past prior to having the ability to CC and got very good results Jase. CC will help to drop more yeasties and bits but gelatine by it's self does a noticable job IMHO.

I don't have refrigeration for my fermenter and my success has been limited. My bottles still have sediment, but it sets at the bottom of the bottle in the fridge. If I pour while the bottle is cold, the beer is clear but if I pour any later the sediment is stirred up.

Latest posts

Back