How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been using the gelatine in most brews latley and i love it. oh so clear beer.

tried polyclar and gelatine but now use nothing but a crashchill for a couple of days and recirculate recirculate then recirculate some more

Has anyone else fined and chilled before bottling? How did it go??

I do this all the time as there is usually a liter or 2 left over from he keg which goes into bottles. It may take an extra week or 2 to carb up but if you have a good quantity of stock and rotate through it you wont notice the extra time. As a plus you get much less sediment in the bottle & can pour to the last drop if you use a good flocculant yeast.

Lagers

edit: must learn to quote...

alot of discussion seems to be around using gelatine with kegs. What about if you bottle. For a process like mine where i use primary then crash chill in primary for around a week then rack to a bottling bucket, where would i add gelatine?
Cheers

alot of discussion seems to be around using gelatine with kegs. What about if you bottle. For a process like mine where i use primary then crash chill in primary for around a week then rack to a bottling bucket, where would i add gelatine?
Cheers

Personally id add it to the fermenter just before chrash chilling, but id transfer it to secondary on the gelatine then crash chill.

KHB

I've racked my last 4 batches onto 1 teaspoon of gelatine in 100mls of hot water from the kettle solution. Left them for 2 days and kegged. The clarity is amazing, it's like pouring a pub beer that tastes good. :)

Can gelatine be added to the primary a few days before bottling, if not racking.

Does it need to be carefully mixed, or just tipped in?

Can gelatine be added to the primary a few days before bottling, if not racking.

Does it need to be carefully mixed, or just tipped in?

I find the best result with gelatine is to add it as late as possible - even at bulk priming stage so it goes straight into the bottle and does its work there. I have done that with UK bitters that I haven't polyclared.

Well my brews been in the fermenter since Sat 22/02. I didnt get a chance to rack to secondary, and I wont have time to CC it.

Done a hydro reading today and it kept coming out really thick and hazy. It looks like its clear at the top, just the bottom thats still dropping out.

Will be bottling this Sat.

Fining whilst bulk priming sounds odd. Would I be best off chucking it in Wednesday, and then racking to priming bucket on Sat???

Nah, dissolve two teaspoons in some warm sterile water and just mix it into the priming bucket. Here's one I did two days ago (Sat night around 8pm so thats less than 48 hrs) and is exactly what I would expect from a warmish fined beer.

Having said that, for a lager type beer (the one in the bottle is a UK bitter) I would cold crash, gelatine in secondary to drop any yeast, leave for two days and then polyclar to remove chill haze.

Several ways to skin a cat B)

clear_prime.JPG

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Clear. I'll give it a go...

Nah, dissolve two teaspoons in some warm sterile water and just mix it into the priming bucket.

So you've got gelatine in your bottles?? How does that affect the flavour?

I can understand that this method removes the intermediate racking to a secondary to clear the beer (I assume that you go straight from primary to priming bucket) but gelatine in the bottle? Is this called aeroplane ale? Are the lost drops from the bottle all thick and gooey?

hazard

I can understand that this method removes the intermediate racking to a secondary to clear the beer (I assume that you go straight from primary to priming bucket) but gelatine in the bottle? Is this called aeroplane ale? Are the lost drops from the bottle all thick and gooey?

hazard

Gelatine is tasteless and when I used it, it was like a thin layer of Latex over the sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. If you want it to be like "aeroplane ale", you will need to add 5 Table Spoons of sugar to your beer jug at time of pouring it out of the bottle/keg

hazard

Exactly. Does it affect the bottled beer?

Thats why im thinking of doing it a few days before bottling. So that it all settles under the level of the tap for racking to priming bucket.

Thanks Phillip. Has anyone else fined and chilled before bottling? How did it go??

All the time and it works exceptionally well. Never had a problem with carbonation or taste that I have noticed...

hazard

Too much water:gelatine volume to allow it to set or make any significant difference to fluid state of the beer. I fine with gelatine and crash chill when racking to secondary vessle after fermentation has completed. I don't fine when racking to bottles. But I do bulk prime to achieve my preferred carbonation levels.

Exactly. Does it affect the bottled beer?

Thats why im thinking of doing it a few days before bottling. So that it all settles under the level of the tap for racking to priming bucket.

None! None! None! and... wait... NONE! Gelatine has no distinguishable flavour. Get a big old teaspoon of gelatine and mix it in a coffee mug stir till dissolved and have a taste. It won't kill you! Now if you add Airplane jelly that will make a yummy beer IMO! :icon_vomit:

AND

Yep that's the way I roll!

For those here using Gelatine when you happen to have vegan or vegetarian friends over for a drink, do you inform them that Gelatine is used in your beer?

my girlfriend is a vego, and so are a few of her friends...Well - more beer for me is all I can say.

I will try agar-agar one day. But I have never tried gelatin before, so I have to compare it...I have McKenzie's Gelatin in my cupboard (only about 3 months old). Can I use this - well more precise, will it impart any 'meat' flavour at all. I am asking this because someone posted earlier saying they prefer the other brand as McKenzie's adds a 'beefy' flavour.

I will try both (agar and gelatin) and hopefully post a side by side.

Cheers
Phil

Muckey uses McKenzies....never noticed any beefiness in his beer.

Edit...don't know if Agar will work....anyone know if it has the right charge characteristics?

i use mckenzies and i reckon its fine. when you mix it up with water sure it smells a bit like a prime cut blade steak (joking, just smells a bit gamey) but you can never taste it once its been kegged or smell it for that matter. i use it in the keg to and not in primary.

Edit...don't know if Agar will work....anyone know if it has the right charge characteristics?

Ive read Agar is used commercially somewhere to fine beer or fruit juice. Its out there somewhere on the interwebs :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back