How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used gelatine, I mixed a cup of water with 1tsp of gelatine when the water cooled to 75 and then stirred the crap out of it.. Reason I used more than 100mls of water is my thermometer wont take a good reading unless its got x amount of it submerged...

My beer still has chill haze like buggery, but ive noticed a MASSIVE improvement!!

My question is this, if youve done a gelatine addition to the fermenter, after you keg the beer, is the yeast able to be farmed? Or does the gelatine stuff if? It clumped together like cement, so not sure if it will reculture like normal? :(

Cheers

I guess it's a suck it and see, you could try making a starter, but my guess is the yeast will be all clumpy and wont work as well at the beginning.

My beer still has chill haze like buggery, but ive noticed a MASSIVE improvement!!

gelatine will assist the yeast to drop. If you want to get rid of the chill haze you need poly clar - I'll let those that have used it, explain it

As I understand, yeast doesnt clump to gelatine, the gelatine assists the yeast in clumping to itself so reusing it shouldn't be an issue.
having said that, the beers I've done have all been fined in secondary but repitched from trub out of primary. (same beer recipes)

I use Davis gelatine and buy it from Coles in the 125g packet.I add it to the brew three days before bottling.

Do you chill the fermenter before adding the gelatine as you are bottling and naturally carbonating ?
I`ve been told once beer is chilled, it should stay that way.
Dazza

Do you chill the fermenter before adding the gelatine as you are bottling and naturally carbonating ?
I`ve been told once beer is chilled, it should stay that way.
Dazza

Yeah, chill it to fine. No reason to keep the beer cold once it's chilled....just warm back up to ambient prior to bottling.

probly another dumb question but if you added gel to primary at about 10* left a couple of days then transfered to secondry droped temp to 3* and then added a second lot of gel for another couple of days before kegging would this remove more sediment[thus less gunk in keg]or would this just be a waste of time ?
Russ

This discussion keeps popping up from time to time & everyone does their own thing & it seems to work well for them, seems like there are no " rules " to doing it.

Here is a link to the article screwy wrote on the subject. How to Gelatine

Lagers

For those here using Gelatine when you happen to have vegan or vegetarian friends over for a drink, do you inform them that Gelatine is used in your beer?

For those here using Gelatine when you happen to have vegan or vegetarian friends over for a drink, do you inform them that Gelatine is used in your beer?
I don't know any vegans or vegetarians but if someone identifies themselves as such then it's like a badge saying "no dead animal products please" so ethically they should be told before drinking.

However normal carnivore friends could be a worry, not to mention some religions?

Congratulations you have just drunk six pints of natural beer made from grains, hops, yeast and water with the addition a product made from by-products of the meat and leather industry, mainly pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides.

Somebody bring a bucket, sorry Rabbi....
.. :icon_vomit:

Don't know any vegetarians or Rabbi's so i guess my beer will be drunk by all who can stand the taste...

Would have been good if I'd seen this thread and read the articile by Jye and Screwy before I used Gelatin yesterday. :eek:

I have made an AAPA (Awesome APA) which was dry hopped......

One week in the keg carbed and cold - and there are still a few floaties around. I was going to filter but am concerned about losing some of the character (the jury is out on this I know - open a another can of worms :ph34r: ) so went with the Gelatin.

I just added the 1tsp gelatin solution approx 70deg.... to the keg, purged the O2 and gently inverted the keg a couple of times.....I hope this works OK.

I was thinking of pouring a couple of glasses off at the 24hr mark.....

Is this too soon?

PB :icon_cheers:

Should work ok but personally I would give it 2 or 3 days to completely drop clear as there is a fair vertical distance for it to fall in a cornie. I only use one teaspoon per brew.

I've always been using 1 tablespoon 20gm per 20L brew but I think i'll try 1-2teaspoons 5-10gm & see how it goes. With 1tbls i still get good clarity but i add mine into the secondary not the keg , the keg & bottles have very little yeast residue.

Never brew without it.

Just to let people know how I went.

The 1 teaspoon was plenty and at the 24hr mark had worked as I poured a glass of cloudy crud. I'm guessing it was mainly yeast.

At this stage it still had the floaties (hop particles) but was a bit clearer than it was before I started so I waited another 4-5 days b4 I checked it again. No change....

Obviously Gelatin doesn't work as effectively on the hop particles or I need to use more ????

Anyway I filtered it this arvo......Perfect now....

BTW - I beleive the beer is just as flavoursome as it was before I filtered it.

Cheers

PB :D

I've been adding isinglass to my secondary for some time - liquid stuff i got from LHBS months ago. Reading this thread, I see that you shouldn't use liquid stuff after 3 weeks, so perhaps I've been wasting time and should use gelatine (might explain why beer is still hazy).

Since I bottle exclusively, I've got to ask:
1. Will gelatine leave enough yeast behind for bottle conditioning? This assumes that I don't chill beer.
2. If I chill beer as recommended in many comments will that suck too much yeast out of suspension or should I stick to room temp (18 Deg)

Most people above seem to use kegs, so I guess residual yeast is not a concern for many - but I want clear beer AND enough yeast for bottling. Am I asking for too much?

I swear by Gelatine. I just boil the jug and whack 2 tea spoons of Gelatine in a cup with a little boiling or near enough boiling water. Mix and then dump on top of the beer once transfer is complete. I have tried polycar and isinglass but for me I like Gelatine.

Steve

I've been adding isinglass to my secondary for some time - liquid stuff i got from LHBS months ago. Reading this thread, I see that you shouldn't use liquid stuff after 3 weeks, so perhaps I've been wasting time and should use gelatine (might explain why beer is still hazy).

Since I bottle exclusively, I've got to ask:
1. Will gelatine leave enough yeast behind for bottle conditioning? This assumes that I don't chill beer.
2. If I chill beer as recommended in many comments will that suck too much yeast out of suspension or should I stick to room temp (18 Deg)

Most people above seem to use kegs, so I guess residual yeast is not a concern for many - but I want clear beer AND enough yeast for bottling. Am I asking for too much?

I have drunk beers that have been gelatined and bottled...

I wouldn't think there wouldn't be enough yeast if you crash cooled and gelatined...just take a bit longer.

Hazard
I have used isinglass after 3 weeks with no probs but.....

1) Gelatin wont affect bottle conditioning or worst case wont affect it much, perhaps carbonation is slightly slower but i'm not sure that it is.
2) Condition the bottles for 2-4 weeks after bottling at around 20* or room temp before chilling otherwise the yeast will slow down and carbonate more slowly....

I have drunk beers that have been gelatined and bottled...

I wouldn't think there wouldn't be enough yeast if you crash cooled and gelatined...just take a bit longer.

Thanks Phillip. Has anyone else fined and chilled before bottling? How did it go??

Latest posts

Back