How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gelatine was incredibly popular in the 80s with K&K brewers here in QLD, Brigalow used to put out yeast - sized - sachets of gelatine finings and nearly everyone bought their kit, their kilo and their finings. Surprised it has only just come back into vogue.

I went out looking for Davis Gelatine and instead found McKenzies 100g tubs of gelatine at Woolies for about $3.50. I reckon a tub will do me for up to twenty brews easily. gelatine.jpg
Far better than the Davis which comes in sachets. I used two rounded teaspoons last night bottling a Morgans Amber and it's dropped crystal clear in 20 hours. And I mean crystal :eek: :eek:

I have just gone onto bulk priming, so boiled water in a pan, added priming sugar, let it cool a bit, added the gelatine and stirred till dissolved, and chucked into priming vessel.

Easy as. Will do this every time now.

I found MacKenzie's Brand to have a beefy smell to it, the Davis version seems more refined to me,

Cheers
Jasb

I'm using the MacKenzie's brand atm, and I gotta say it works brilliantly. I'm using the same ratio as you BribieG.

Gelatin is brilliant, I have only used it on my last 6 or so kegs and it just works so well.

Im gonna put the flame suit on here :ph34r:

Is there an easier way than keeping the mixture at 75* for 15 minutes? As this would be fairly difficult for me with what I have available :unsure:

Cheers

Boil the water first and then let it cool down to 75C.

Tis what i do.

Dont hold it at 75C for any length of time. just dump the gelatine in, stir to dissolve and then throw the whole lot into your chilled beer.

Boil the water first and then let it cool down to 75C.

Tis what i do.

Dont hold it at 75C for any length of time. just dump the gelatine in, stir to dissolve and then throw the whole lot into your chilled beer.

yup me too, as soon as dissolved you're fine. I wouldn't add it at the same time as priming sugar as someone mentioned. I chuck it in 24-48hrs before the bulk prime and it travels through the beer and grabs out a fair bit o' gunk on the way.

Wicked cheers guys...

Will try it with my Smurtos GA when I keg it :icon_cheers:

Just a note on geletine fining for those trying it for the first time....resist the temptation to use more geletine. This is one of those cases where less is more. Using too much will actually hinder the fining process by negating the electrical charge, or even reversing it..

The quantities in this article are absolutely spot on for good results.

I use Davis gelatine and buy it from Coles in the 125g packet.I add it to the brew three days before bottling.

Thats exactly right, why anyone would want to gel there keg is beyond me, but everyone to their own.
Why not. I do it to every brew and never noticed any more gunk" in the bottom than without it. Obviously you have never tried it!
Like I said in my earlier post, it aint rocket science. I just let the jug/kettle half boil and put half a cup of the hot water into a small cup and stir in half a sachet of "Davis" gelatine and dump in the keg at about 3/4's full. Simple.

Steve

I found MacKenzie's Brand to have a beefy smell to it, the Davis version seems more refined to me

Only for the Vegans; Did you guys know that Gelatine is mashed cartilage from the limb joints of animals slaughtered at the abattoirs?

Are there any Vegan brewers out there! :icon_vomit:

Yeah and think of all the animals you're depriving of food by turning it into beer <_<

FFS

Only for the Vegans; Did you guys know that Gelatine is mashed cartilage from the limb joints of animals slaughtered at the abattoirs?

Are there any Vegan brewers out there! :icon_vomit:

I believe there may be....the question as been put up in the past asking if agar can be used instead of geletine....an interesting question; according to the wikipedia entry for agar, it can in fact be used as a fining, but I've never tried it.

Can you add finings to the primary fermenter a couple of days before bottling? Would it still work if just poured in and not stirred through?

Cheers

Gonna put my flame suit on here as well :ph34r: Can someone find / dig up the previous thread that discussed gelatine use :rolleyes: save burning up space for no reason, on the AHB server.

BYB

Screwy's Method:

After fermentation has ceased the temp of the beer is dropped to around 3C for 2 days, depending on the yeast used most of the yeast will have dropped out in this time. The beer is then racked to a keg to which gelatine fining has been added.

Screwy

would this method work ok if applied to secondary instead of the keg ?

cheers

No worries Yardy. The important thing is to have the beer as cold as possible, my preference is to have it below serving temp while finning.

No worries Yardy. The important thing is to have the beer as cold as possible, my preference is to have it below serving temp while finning.

thanks Jye,

i'll try it out on the Kolsch

cheers

Is there an easier way than keeping the mixture at 75* for 15 minutes? As this would be fairly difficult for me with what I have available :unsure:

Cheers

Obviously there are lots of other methods as above reviled. The reason I do the 15 min @ 75 - 80 is to pasteurise, don't want any "greeblies" in my beer - AND - because its easy :lol: I put the gelatine and water in a Pyrex jug and after 5 minutes to rehydrate put it into the Microwave at power setting 2 for 15 min. This way I can do something else while pasteurising the gelatine.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back