How To Fix A F$$kup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keifer

Reaction score
I was sick of my crappy,rusty,moldy,small keg fridge so i got my fermenting fridge from the garage and brought it in. Fits 6 kegs yay! Anyways its an upright with a freezer on top. Stoopid me drilled the hole for the door mounted tap too high and when i open the freezer door, it hits the tap and knocks it on :angry:

It's got a very tall handle which i can unscrew when im not using it, should i just go for small handles? I've only got one tap so far but plan to add more later when i get some cash. Or should i re-drill the hole lower and cover the top hole with a magnet or something...

Anyone done anything similar or am i the only dunce here? :(

With my first lot of taps I made sure they were low enough for the freezer to still open, but I picked up some new taps with larger handles and now have the same problem. Im not to concerned about it since the freezer only stores hops and ice for chilling so its only opened on brew day. I just have to remember to open the fridge door at the same time... believe me you only forget to do that once <_<

If you want to move it down, get a sheet of s/s as a splashback to cover the other hole.

can you access the hole from the inside ?

by this i mean you might be able to sikaflex ( or similar ) something ( a piece of thin ply, plastic etc ) over the hole from the inside to seal it and redrill where you want the tap.

If you wanted to go the whole hog you could fill the hole from the outside with suitable filler and sand it flush once the inside is set.

Yard

Like others have of said if its no big deal to open the fridge aswell everytime then no drama but there a heap of differnet ways to fill the hole, one that hasn't been mentioned that might not quite look as good as the other ways mentioned is simply stick a 'whatever' into the old hole.

I have a hacksaw you can borrow :p

sorry but it is funny :lol: its something i would do.

Id make a stainless plate to cover the old hole and drill a new one.

cheers

Enter in a few comps, win a certificate and stick it over the hole.

Or try screwing a strip of sheet metal to the inside of the freezer door, so it hangs down into the fridge aswell.

That way you can open the fridge no worries(with the freezer remaining shut), but when you open the freezer door it will also open the fridge door.

Theres some good ideas, The stainless splashback sounds like the easiest and best method, but most expensive too.

lol Tony, you'd trust me with a hacksaw!? i wouldn't.. and i aint winning any awards any time soon POL.

I'll have to wait a while (prolly a long while) for the splashback and sikalfex, so in the meantime i might just put up with it and twist the handle 90 degrees when i aint using it.

The idea I came up with as soon as I read Jye's post similar to OldBugmans.
Get a piece of ally T, attach to top of fridge door, allows fridge to be opened by itself, but pulling freezer door open will open both.

FROGMAN

Keifer

Did exactly the same thing on my fridge :angry: That was 2 1/2 years ago !
just learn't to live with it

Redgums

Mistake? no way. Once you put the tap lower, you will have a peak hole into the fridge. You will finally be able to answer the age old conundrum: "Does the fridge light go out when you shut the door". Put one of those sight glasses you put in the front door in, and you will have an additional "feature" to show mates when they come to check out your wicked new beer fridge. Go the extra step and put in a mirror at a 45 angle above the keg and add some flashy coloured LEDs, and you can prove that there's a party keg in your fridge.

I'd stick a dial thermometer in it.

Just make sure your missus knows to open the fridge at the same time <_<

Mine went looking for freezer blocks yesterday and turned on 3 of the 4 taps :(

Ok ok
Send me your addy and I'll post you a Batz Brewery sticker to bung over the hole ;)

Batz

I like the peep hole idea. put some clear perspex on the inside and a spinning disco ball! :party:

edit: oh, and lights... so you can see the disco ball.

pm sent batz :)

"3 of the 4 taps" bah meatloaf rekons 3 outa 4 aint bad.. maybe it is after all!

"spinning disco ball! party.gif" so umm bonj... you gonna send me a disco ball??

You can get them really cheap from those cheap shops as chrissy decorations. Where in Newcastle are you? I'll be down that way in mid August.

Anyone done anything similar or am i the only dunce here? :(

Nope my tap tops are too high and restrict the opening of the freezer.

I just live with it and don't bother using the freezer.

I couldn't have put them any lower anyway really. Would have been too low then.

Latest posts

Back