How To Add Things To Simple Kits To Make Them Not So Simple.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of my kit era I only bought Coopers Cerveza cans, I could get them fresh, they are light, they aren't overly flavourful, they aren't overly bitter. A good footing for building off. I made a few beers that I was really happy with this way.

I dislike the kit hop and darker malt tastes, and suggest the more you can add of your own hops and spec grains to get where you want, the better.

I dislike the kit hop and darker malt tastes, and suggest the more you can add of your own hops and spec grains to get where you want, the better.

+ eleventy gajillion

Or, less ludicrously, I agree with Bizier. Although it does have to be said that the bigger kits can be a good base for a bigger beer - they just require a little more work (and that work would be much better expended on an extract brew).

Yeh, agree with last couple of posts, I think with the start with a simple base and build you get a cleaner / fresher beer if that makes any sense.

Fear.

I've made quite a few Coopers Stout and Coopers dark ale kits and quite liked the dark malt flavors they imparted, but agree totally WRT the hop flavors
although I usually prefer a lighter kit to use as a blank canvass (Coopers lager is good as it has very very little taste)

While I haven't done any brews using mainly kits in a while, I did a brew not too long back that had a good portion of the fermentables as kits. It has to be one of the tastiest brews I've ever done. Picked up a couple Coopers Bitter kits for $5 a piece from Coles when they were clearing them off.

'Canned Souped Up IPA'
English India Pale Ale

S.G.: 1.053
F.G.: 1.012
Calc. IBU: 41.7
Volume: 57L
Calc. SRM: 17.0

2 x 1.7kg Coopers Bitter Kits
5.50kg Weyermann Pilsener Malt
1.00kg Dingemann Biscuit Malt
0.75kg Joe White Caramalt
0.25kg Joe White Crystal Malt

20g First Gold 7.7% 60 min
20g Challenger 5.6% 30 min
20g Challenger 5.6% 20 min
20g Styrian Goldings 3.0% 20 min
20g Styrian Goldings 3.0% 10 min
20g Challenger 5.6% Dry Hopped
20g Styrian Goldings 3.0% Dry Hopped

Overall, it wasn't really a kit beer, but it did help me reach a good volume of good strength with only 7.5kg of grain.
Everyone of my mates loved it, saying it had a really good IPA flavour but was a bit too dark too really be called an India PALE Ale. I couldn't really care about it being too dark though because the flavour was just great.

The hops were nicely upfront when it was younger, as it got older and mellowed out a bit the malt took over more but it was still great, the biscuit malt is really tasty in this type of beer.

Pity I only have one bottle left now though...

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try and make an all grain brew now with the same sort of flavours.

Dan

Latest posts

Back