How Quickly Do You Need To Change Temps In A Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I am wondering how quickly you need to change temps in a mash, I am researching all grain at the moment and am wondering if a 1500 watt electric element would suffice to change temps?

Also does anyone know of real good info that I can read up on?

Cheers :party: Mick

I think I read somewhere that approx 1C per minute is supposed to be a good rate. I have a HERMS with a 1500W element and I do double (~42l) batches. I can ramp the mash a little slower than 1C/min. If you're planning to do 20l batches that element should suffice.

Don't worry too much about an optimum temperature ramp rate. If you dump in boiling water or boiling mash (decoction), the change in temperature is close to instantaneous.

if i can tag on the question "how fast you need to be for a jump mash?"

or would it not be possible for BIAB? i was thinking if i do smaller batches on a 1500W element with a kitchen stove and 2L kettle for backup i might be able to get it up pretty fast but its still a far cry from instantaneous

When decocting it is an instantaneous lift in temperature once its returned to the main mash. The decoction helps to break up more startch in certain grains, increasing extraction.

A quick increase in temperature will be easier to reproduce in future beers also (assuming it is a winner!), rather than slowly heating the whole mash.

Depends on what you want to achieve ? If you have got your rests right for your times then quick as possible rise saves you time on the brew day.You just need to gauge converions etc, this will be dictated by your malts and pH.
Simple.
GB

Latest posts

Back