How Old Are You? How Long Have You Been Hbing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• under 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30

• 30-40

• 40-50

• 50-60

• 60 and over

• Total voters
35 in a couple of months.

Got a home brew kit for my 18th and have been brewing ever since.

K&K only for the 1st year or so. Then extract and specialty grains etc.

AG for the past 14 months or so..... and I've got to say "WHY THE FARK DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO GO AG!!" :lol:

Probably not enough time and working too much but still....

Cheers

4 years brewing, 37 long years not brewing,

you want stats Truman, try your 548 posts in 6 months, now thats impressive :p

Ha ha yeh I could divide them up into how many were stupid questions, how many were questions already been answered before, how many were arguments with my mate Ted etc etc.. :icon_cheers:

30 years old
brewing just over a year....

Oh also do you use the search function to see if there where any other posts about this???? lol!!

Aged 33, been brewing since I was 18 at uni. Had a 3 year break in there while I was in the UK - not worth brewing over there with so many beers to try.

So....

Brewing a bit over two years, seriously.

Did a bit of unserious brewing for a few years before that.

Seemed like a really good idea recently, not sure why.....

41 years old.

Lemon

25, been brewing at home for 5 years and commercially for about 3 months.

29 and that many --> |||||||||

I started homebrewing when I was 21, but graduated uni when I was 23 and was shipped off to a dry community. I lasted 6 months before cracking the sads and shipping myself off to Melbourne where I forgot about everything including brewing until about 3 years ago.

37 years old

First brew put down on 12.7.2003 @ 5pm

I still have my note book... and will indulge :)

Brew No.1 - Black Rock Colonial Lager
1kg dextrose
disloved with 4L boiling water
topped up with cold water to 23 liters

temp at atart - 26 deg c
SG - 1.046
Brewed at - 25 deg c

Bottled on 16.7.2003 @ 7pm (4 days, 2 hrs)

notes-

-Tasted at 2 weeks, gassed well but wont hold a head. Completely disapears strait after pouring. Plesent to drink, sweetish fruity, cidery flavours.
- Developed off flavours - dont know why
- Got better after 2 months but needs better yeast

Oh dear................

My 2nd brew was fermented at 20 to 21 and it stayed at this for a couple months and i got a fridge.....

Hops in my 4th kit

Then started playing with ESB 3KG hopped kits (in the paint tin)

then 12 deg lagers are recorded :)

Then 4 months later..... my first grain steep..... some Roast Barley in a stout kit.

Then started re using yeast

every kit has hops in it now...... im getting a taste for it and Im getting active on the Grumpys Forum at this stage ..... ahhh thems were the days :)

12 dec 03 . first FWK - ESB Amber ale. I still remember it..... it was .....ok
Comments note - nice but not worth $30

19.12.03........... first partial mash. OMG i remember that day well.

I tried to crack 1kg of IMC pilsner malt by hand. Here is my basis for my belief that you cant always believe what you read on the internet!
First i tried an empty beer bottle..... FAIL
Then i tried a rolling pin........... FAIL
Ended up putting it in a tea towl and bashing it into a course flour with a house brick, taking the skin off my hands and destroying the tea towl.

After that it was all partial mashes and Grumpys No.1 FWK's

By April 04 i was full partial and hopping it myself.

Beginning July 04..... first AG

Bulldust Stout

3.5kg ale
500g munich 1
500g Roast barley
500g Flaked Barley

20g Target 60 min boil
10g Target 30 min boil
16g Challenger 30 min boil

1.049, 45.7 IBU, 73.4 EBC

I do recal it won a 1st place at a home brew comp :)

It was all up hill from there

cheers

29 and that many --> |||||||||

I started homebrewing when I was 21, but graduated uni when I was 23 and was shipped off to a dry community. I lasted 6 months before cracking the sads and shipping myself off to Melbourne where I forgot about everything including brewing until about 3 years ago.
Did you join a cult?

29 YO. First brew bottled 23/2/2009 (some can of goo that came free with the homebrew kit i purchased, fermented at the cool temps of a Qld summer :blink: )

35 years old and I've been brewing for 17 months. Knocked out my 42nd AG batch about a month ago :icon_drunk:

Put down my first brew about 3 months after joining this forum.

Just bottled (with nice belgian corks) my 40th birthday brew started on Cup Day. OG 1.103, FG 1.014. BDSA.

Started in March '06. First brew was a Cascade Chocolate Porter kit with a kilo of "stout mix" from LHBS - LDME + DDME + liqorice extract. Apart from the fact that I bottled it slightly before FG, and it over carbonated (no explosions, luckily), it wasn't too bad.

Went AG a couple of years ago. Never looked back. You can't brew decent Belgians from kits.

T.

33, brewing for over ten years. My first kit was a Grumpy's partial... ah those were the days when life was simple.

63, started brewing in 1973, before kits were made out of liquid malt. Started playing around with hops and specialty grains a few years ago, went AG last year. Why wait so long? Didn't know about BIAB before then and couldn't afford 3V.

Brewing for about 4 years, mostly just put veggies like beetroot in a jar besides my bed and they Naturally start fermenting. Not sure if its wild yeast or the proximity to my "special sock"...

31, brewing since i was 17 ( to date i think that first tin was the worlds worst beer - kit found in grandpa's shed) soon following that kit I then a move to all grain in the late teens - and brewing ever since ( a few years I went back to kits while living OS in a flat)

ahhh memories of grumpy's

hopefully still brewing for a long time to come

edit - the kit was bad because it was older than me at the time i am sure

37 years old

First brew put down on 12.7.2003 @ 5pm

I still have my note book... and will indulge :)

Brew No.1 - Black Rock Colonial Lager
1kg dextrose
disloved with 4L boiling water
topped up with cold water to 23 liters

temp at atart - 26 deg c
SG - 1.046
Brewed at - 25 deg c

Bottled on 16.7.2003 @ 7pm (4 days, 2 hrs)

notes-

-Tasted at 2 weeks, gassed well but wont hold a head. Completely disapears strait after pouring. Plesent to drink, sweetish fruity, cidery flavours.
- Developed off flavours - dont know why
- Got better after 2 months but needs better yeast

Oh dear................

My 2nd brew was fermented at 20 to 21 and it stayed at this for a couple months and i got a fridge.....

Hops in my 4th kit

Then started playing with ESB 3KG hopped kits (in the paint tin)

then 12 deg lagers are recorded :)

Then 4 months later..... my first grain steep..... some Roast Barley in a stout kit.

Then started re using yeast

every kit has hops in it now...... im getting a taste for it and Im getting active on the Grumpys Forum at this stage ..... ahhh thems were the days :)

12 dec 03 . first FWK - ESB Amber ale. I still remember it..... it was .....ok
Comments note - nice but not worth $30

19.12.03........... first partial mash. OMG i remember that day well.

I tried to crack 1kg of IMC pilsner malt by hand. Here is my basis for my belief that you cant always believe what you read on the internet!
First i tried an empty beer bottle..... FAIL
Then i tried a rolling pin........... FAIL
Ended up putting it in a tea towl and bashing it into a course flour with a house brick, taking the skin off my hands and destroying the tea towl.

After that it was all partial mashes and Grumpys No.1 FWK's

By April 04 i was full partial and hopping it myself.

Beginning July 04..... first AG

Bulldust Stout

3.5kg ale
500g munich 1
500g Roast barley
500g Flaked Barley

20g Target 60 min boil
10g Target 30 min boil
16g Challenger 30 min boil

1.049, 45.7 IBU, 73.4 EBC

I do recal it won a 1st place at a home brew comp :)

It was all up hill from there

cheers
really tony? Wow. Mine was still older school 1996. No forums that we found, bjt forums werent knkwn entity anyeay. Coopers instructions were jamil and.vegimite seemedike a good idea to add to beer

Ahhh tbe good old days

38 and still going strong,

Started brewing kits around 1998 (on and off work permitting) in the cool Townsville weather without fermentation control, quite distinctly remember some XXXX bitter and Toohey's Old clones registering over 30 degrees on the stick on thermometer. Quite a few brews were'nt real flash tasting but they all got polished off. Pride can do wonders for your taste buds sometimes.

Started AG brewing in 2008 as i wanted a bit of a challenge to take it to the next level, both in making beer from scratch and building my own system. Still learning heaps and after all the effort i get to drink some good tasting beverages.

Latest posts

Back