Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Keg King Warehouse Warming Giveaway for Australian Brewers

ENTER HERE
    Remember, Oct 14th is when entry thread is locked and winners chosen!
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you get the 10c a bottle or can?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trustyrusty, 26/2/18.

1. trustyrusty

Posted 26/2/18
    Hi

I was just wondering how many of you are using the return and earn. New for us in Nsw. I know someone in Adelaide that don't bother.

Do you bother ?

thanks

2. wynnum1

Posted 26/2/18
    If its cans you only get 9 c because the can was worth more then a cent for scrap government and operator are doing very well out of the scheme.

3. Dan Pratt

Posted 26/2/18
    Retailers forced to slug customers and extra $4 per case and the customer only gets back $2.4

Its a new tax wrapped up in a BS scheme.

4. wynnum1

Posted 26/2/18
    If you live near the border can duck over and save but thats not good for local shops.

5. The hop cartel

Posted 26/2/18
    I've set up 240l bins at work and get around 500 units a week... an extra $50 for do sweet FA

HaveFun and trustyrusty like this.
  6. trustyrusty

Posted 26/2/18
    Its the usual screw, when there is a chance to put the price up they do, I know someone that works in the buying dept its gone up 18c not 15c.
    Manufacturers pay 15c to TOMRA, we get 10c, 5c margin to put in all the machines, maintain, collect, store..Not a heck of a lot of money BUT the real winner is the 15c that has been paid for and people still use the yellow bin... millions a day.. I heard something like 11 000 bottles a minute are made by coke (that is all brands and they have 200 or so)? Some crazy figure... I am not sure what happens to the cans and bottles when they get picked up in yellow bin - would the yellow bin recycle company like Viora (?) get the 10c? Wow they are getting a double whammy, being paid to pick and getting the 10c, surely there must be an agreement.....

Anyhow the good news is I have seen kids collect cans from places they would be in land fill...

I was just interested if people are bothering......

Out of people you know, say 10..5/10? 1/10? how many would bother, people I know it is probably 50% max?

cheers

7. wynnum1

Posted 27/2/18
    If you do not want them taking from your bin would suggest crushing the cans and destroying the labels on the bottle seems that some places thay are making a big mess .

8. trustyrusty

Posted 27/2/18
    That will be a big problem - people going through the bins and chucking stuff all the place so more stuff will end up the rivers ...

9. wynnum1

Posted 27/2/18
    Has the Government looked at money laundering if you have some black cash buy the bottles and cans with cash and cash in and your money is washed earned by collecting bottles and cans.

10. pcmfisher

Posted 27/2/18
    To a South Australian this sounds like an American trying to justify lack of gun control...

11. Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here

Home Page:
    Posted 28/2/18
    Yeah... Seriously folks. SA has had this for decades and the world has so far failed to end.

People ratting through bins... Yeah, maybe but I doubt it will lead to massive pollution problems. Money laundering... Seriously? That's a pretty low efficiency method there. I'm sure someone at a depot would notice if someone drove up with a truck full of brand new bottles to recycle.

Its a good idea. It drives recycling rated right up. SA has the highest recycling rate in the country buy a long shot and that's because of the container deposit. It's not some dark government conspiracy or a secret new tax. It's a self funded scheme to drive up recycling rates which are, at the moment, except in SA, woeful.

If you really hate it, just drink home brew and you never have to pay for a bottle ever again...

12. lost at sea

Posted 28/2/18
    i just want to know why im now being taxed to use the yellow bin like i always have?

13. lost at sea

Posted 28/2/18
    i just got home, its bin night here and low and behold, a couple pull up across the street and begin walking down the street either side scabbing through the recycling bins, blowing 30 knots here tonight on the coast so see how much litter escapes the bins tonight.

14. Maheel

Posted 28/2/18
    you been watching Ozark ?

15. wynnum1

Posted 28/2/18
    On the radio yesterday about a man observed in the rain with expensive luxury car going through the recycle bins and putting the cans and bottle in the boot .

16. petesbrew

Lover of Beer

Home Page:
    Posted 6/3/18
    It's a shite scheme, but f##k it. I'll make the most of it.
    Every bottle & can goes round the side in a tub. When it's full, I take it down to the local carwash that does it by hand.
    So far I've reclaimed $20.

17. wynnum1

Posted 6/3/18
    Being a shite scheme would be a benefit for those who want to collect if it was easy everyone would be returning .

18. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 6/3/18
    They didn't get my rego did they?

S.E likes this.
  19. wynnum1

Posted 6/3/18
    Do you need an alibi.

20. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 6/3/18
    Whenever I plan to do something that is not kosher, I spend twice as long planning the covering of my arse.;)